• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If he called for it why didn't he collect it?

I am not Daniel bashing. Some on here just wear rose tinted specs.
Daniel will be a better keeper than Paul but he HAS been to blame for a few goals lately.
Scunny would be the ideal place to give Paul a game if fit. The Smith boo boys wont travel that far!
Daniel needs a rest for a game the same as Barry but Barry does not have a ready made replacement Daniel does.!!

Agent Lomas as Ken says if he called for it. Its a goalkeepers job is too collect it. HE DID NOT?

Its not too late in the season for the Play Off's but we have to be realistic and look at what is happening out on the playing field.
The midfield all 5 are not supporting Barry he is having to come far to deep. We didnt do this earlier in the season but we are now.!!

If we had not given silly goals away and yes some defenders are to blame dare i say John White since his injury.
Please look what's going on on the playing field, not just who has come through the youth's or is your favourite.
After all we are all Southend United Supporters and want the best result possible.

People do look at Bentley rose tinted, after every match last year we had a blow by blow account of what Smith did wrong, including saving a penalty with his wrong hand. The same people make no comment at all now.

He certainly was at fault for that first goal and made a mistake.

However , do we therefore change keepers every time a mistake is made rather than let them learn from it ? Its all experience to him and dropping him now isnt going to benefit him and I don't see putting Smith in will benefit the team either. The defence is all over the shop at the moment and adding another player in the mix doesnt sound like a great idea to me.

If Bentley does keep making mistakes then we do have to consider dropping him, but I think it's a bit too early for that.

I've only just seen the highlights, if Bentley keeps coming the way he is, his momentum is going to take him out of the area and handball it. Phillips needed to just take control and either head or hoof.

Smith got a chance to show what he could still do in the JPT game against Dagenham and, well, the least said about that the better I think..

I've only just seen the highlights, if Bentley keeps coming the way he is, his momentum is going to take him out of the area and handball it. Phillips needed to just take control and either head or hoof.

Yes but Bentley called for it so its his error.

I think that dan is a great shot stopper , but he has cost us so many goals this season through bad judgement , yeah he has the potential to be a good goalkeeper but he is still young for a keeper and still has a lot to learn ,but his confidence / inexperience has cost us even going back as far as Newport away when he rushed out of his area unneccesarily and cost us a goal ,and this is happening more and more , for me I think it's time for a change and would play Paul Smith
Maybe his head has been turned by all this good enough to play for England bullocks , but his concentration and consistency throughout a whole match seems to be all over the place at times , Smith got crucified last season for a lot less than Bentley's inconsistency , I know that we have a lot more problems within the team and I am not blaming it all on Bentley , but if we are gonna improve our poor run then surely a change throughout the whole team is needed and if we are giving away needless goals through individual errors then they should also be changed which Bentley seems to be making them more and more often , maybe a change will bring him back to reality and realise that ALL players can be replaced through bad mistakes as they indeed should !!!

I really don't think Brown is capable of making a big decision like this. He should be changed as he is costing us most weeks but bu ll*** Bill will only say he is going to make changes in the press and then do nothing. Paul CLark pre match had it spot on, the opposition know exactly how we play with the same old players as Phil is stuck in a December timewarp!

I really wonder what some people watch when they go to the football when I see things like this...:nope:

I think Bentley is trying to take control of things he shouldn't but with Phillips in front of him who can blame him!! Phillips has been woeful recently……& with White, Coker & Egan all doubtful for Scunny I'm praying he don't let in double figures.....can we play with 2 keepers???

Great young keeper with huge potential on a learning curve , leave him alone.

Omit the words "great" and "huge" and substitute "out for now" in place of "alone" and you have made an accurate statement.Just because he makes excellent, flashy stops you cannot ignore the defects in the rest of his game which he should overcome with time-at present he is not nearly as good as you (and he)thinks he is.

Omit the words "great" and "huge" and substitute "out for now" in place of "alone" and you have made an accurate statement.Just because he makes excellent, flashy stops you cannot ignore the defects in the rest of his game which he should overcome with time-at present he is not nearly as good as you (and he)thinks he is./B][

Yet despite us having big shortcomings in the heart of defence the last month we still have the second best defence, so he clearly isnt as bad you think either.

Hes a gd young keeper, will get better with time i believe he will go on to better things but for the next 3 years he needs to stay put. Having said 5hat i blame brown in a way for bigging him up instead of keeping his england claims to himself its just put more pressure on the lad hes got enough of that with our fans.

True things could be much worse-recent mediocre opponents have usually failed to capitalise on his frequent misjudgement of crosses or having the ball kicked straight to them-I,ll be watching more than a little anxiously at Scunthorpe tonight if he's still in goal.

True things could be much worse-recent mediocre opponents have usually failed to capitalise on his frequent misjudgement of crosses or having the ball kicked straight to them-I,ll be watching more than a little anxiously at Scunthorpe tonight if he's still in goal.

As I said above, we have the 2nd lowest conceded amount in the league, only one more than the table leaders.

Sounds like 35 mediocre teams so far have failed to capitalise on his frequent errors on a regular basis.

Phil Brown came in and singled out Dan Bentley and clearly thinks he has a big future ahead of him. Goalkeepers are the easiest scapegoats of the 11 players on the pitch by the nature of the fact that mistakes often lead to goals. Bentley needs more and more games at this level to improve his judgement and become a better player. Paul Smith will only keep you happy until he makes a few mistakes. I think most would go with Dan Bentley and it will do him the world of good to keep the faith in him. I also believe he is the best option that we have.

If Paul Smith ever plays another game for Southend i will boycott, he has had 1 good game. I'd prefer to have Ted Smith or Luke Chambers in as GK, Does no one remember when we conceded 5 vs Daggers at home and Paul Smith could have stopped 4.

If Paul Smith ever plays another game for Southend i will boycott, he has had 1 good game. I'd prefer to have Ted Smith or Luke Chambers in as GK, Does no one remember when we conceded 5 vs Daggers at home and Paul Smith could have stopped 4.

If you put Ted Smith or Luke Chambers in you could end up conceding 5 a lot more, they are no where near ready for 1st team football no matter how ravenously hungry they may be.

Smith would be a good option to fall back on, but only in the event of injury unless Bentley does start playing badly over a longer period.

Absolute rubbish, yes, Smith let 5 in against Daggers but that probably comes down to the fact it was his first game of the season and the last one he played before that was Morecambe (H) - Last game of last season

For those not among the 157 last night:Bentley made a truly excellent diving stop at point blank range which balances out allowing the 2nd goal when the ball almost hit him on the shoulder as it bounced past him.He didnt really have any other shots to save but could have given them 3 further goals with these errors :-
1st half 1.Failing to use his height to catch a looping ball in the middle of the goalmouth.
2.Scuffing a clearance straight to their RW standing just outside the area.
2nd half 3.Charging mindlessly out to near the corner flag when the only player near the ball was our defender-Phillips
I think.
Bentley must be rested.

For those not among the 157 last night:Bentley made a truly excellent diving stop at point blank range which balances out allowing the 2nd goal when the ball almost hit him on the shoulder as it bounced past him.He didnt really have any other shots to save but could have given them 3 further goals with these errors :-
1st half 1.Failing to use his height to catch a looping ball in the middle of the goalmouth.
2.Scuffing a clearance straight to their RW standing just outside the area.
2nd half 3.Charging mindlessly out to near the corner flag when the only player near the ball was our defender-Phillips
I think.
Bentley must be rested.

I think that's overly harsh on Bentley. He wasn't flawless last night and he probably should have done better with their second, however the save you mention was top top class and he held onto a couple of tricky shots as well. I think he's the least of our problems personally and he did a good job of firing up the crowd as well.

Back