• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Daniel Bentley

And you’re right; even the best goalies in the world make mistakes,but only rarely.
Funny, you never criticise Oxley the way you do with Bentley. This either means DB must have done something to upset you (having the nerve to want to further his own career at a higher level than Blues maybe?), or you genuinely believe Oxley is a better goalkeeper than Bentley.
Please enlighten us.

So his gone to wolves now then, just seen a statement from him to Bristol city football club thanking them.

Finally gets his prem move that he deserves. Hopefully he will get some chances, I know they rate Sa highly but with their current plight maybe he might be in with a shout. Fingers crossed they manage to stay up.

Funny, you never criticise Oxley the way you do with Bentley. This either means DB must have done something to upset you (having the nerve to want to further his own career at a higher level than Blues maybe?), or you genuinely believe Oxley is a better goalkeeper than Bentley.
Please enlighten us.
Apologies for the delayed response,Stuart—we’ve had visitors.
In more recent times,Bentley and Oxley,both Players of the Season.have been our best two keepers,with Bentley possibly slightly the better of the two—certainly at present as Ox,who was capped by England at both U-18 and U-20 levels,doesn’t seem to have fully recovered from the broken leg he sustained at Salford at the end of last season.
My criticising of Bentley doesn’t really stem from what you suggest: his disloyalty to our club when he cost us a small fortune by refusing to sign a new contract,but far more,it is my reaction to totally misguided claims that he would head straight off to star in the Premier League and play for England !
He seemed a nice guy when I spoke with him and he has done well to play so many games (for lower clubs) in the Championship.
In Oxley’s case,it is my reaction to the equally misguided ( same ?) people who continually in those terrible times,chose to single him out as their scapegoat,when his heroics were keeping the goals against column respectable despite the very,very poor defence in front of him.

Apologies for the delayed response,Stuart—we’ve had visitors.
In more recent times,Bentley and Oxley,both Players of the Season.have been our best two keepers,with Bentley possibly slightly the better of the two—certainly at present as Ox,who was capped by England at both U-18 and U-20 levels,doesn’t seem to have fully recovered from the broken leg he sustained at Salford at the end of last season.
My criticising of Bentley doesn’t really stem from what you suggest: his disloyalty to our club when he cost us a small fortune by refusing to sign a new contract,but far more,it is my reaction to totally misguided claims that he would head straight off to star in the Premier League and play for England !
He seemed a nice guy when I spoke with him and he has done well to play so many games (for lower clubs) in the Championship.
In Oxley’s case,it is my reaction to the equally misguided ( same ?) people who continually in those terrible times,chose to single him out as their scapegoat,when his heroics were keeping the goals against column respectable despite the very,very poor defence in front of him.

You have claimed this on several occasions and its completely false.

The big boys were after him long before his heroics at Wembley. The correct reward would have been a move that summer and his last touch of a ball in an SUFC shirt would have been that winning save.

Instead our club decided he would see out the last year for our benefit. Despite risking his chance at the big time he played with total professionalism that season and deserves credit for that.

The club took the financial gamble that we would get another year out of Dan and still get the same money due to the compensation scheme....Which we did.

Good players at Southend go on to bigger clubs. Always have and always will. To expect Dan to stall his own career when Brentford had been chasing him for 2 years is nonsense.

There has been some total P*** takers at this club since Dan left. Both on and off the field, thats why we are in the NL.

Right up the top of the list of those they did not take the P and made us money would be Dan Bentley.... Loyalty is a two way street and sadly far too many of our fans have forgotten that.

That would be an interesting thread "Non P***takers in recent years" (not including the current squad of course who are all great). If someone wants to start that I offer John White, Terry Egbri and Steve Humphrys.

Back