• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Daniel Bentley

Not by the sound of it, on their fans forum, the general consensus is if it wasn't for Dan, it could have been alot worse.

Just watched the highlights on the Channel 5 show. Can't blame Dan, he even saved a penalty but they scored from the rebound.

Brentford looked really poor, even the first goal they allowed Norwich all the time in the world to pick a couple of crosses out. The first goal looked like Egan may have got the last touch for an OG but I think Jacob Murphy has claimed it.

Worth watching the show just to see some red cards, including 2 for Preston when their own players had a fight.

From what I've read this season , Dan has received some excellent reviews , but the way Brentford are in 'free fall' , we may be seeing him back at Roots Hall earlier than expected.

I am surprised about Brentford, they seemed to be doing everything right in recent years as well as being backed by some serious finance. They appeared to be another Bournemouth in the making. Oh well maybe just a blip.

Bentley kept a clean sheet tonight in Brentford's 3-0 win, which was Brentford's first ever win over against Aston Villa in their clubs history.

Well done Dan. :thumbsup:

Also a certain Alan McCormack made a brief appearance to mark the occasion.

Nice article in Sunday's Football League Paper where Dan says he has vastly improved since moving to Brentford. He's kept 10 clean sheets so far. He says he has developed into a sweeper-keeper. He says at Southend he never really used to pass the ball out unless there was a player in an acre of space. "That's not the Southend ethos it's not the way they play"! I think they got a bargain.

He says he has developed into a sweeper-keeper. He says at Southend he never really used to pass the ball out unless there was a player in an acre of space. "That's not the Southend ethos it's not the way they play"! I think they got a bargain.

Good. I don't want to see our keepers trying to be like Franz Beckenbauer!*

*One for the teenagers, there!

Nice article in Sunday's Football League Paper where Dan says he has vastly improved since moving to Brentford. He's kept 10 clean sheets so far. He says he has developed into a sweeper-keeper. He says at Southend he never really used to pass the ball out unless there was a player in an acre of space. "That's not the Southend ethos it's not the way they play"! I think they got a bargain.
Glad to hear his footwork has improved-it certainly needed to.
Daryl Flahavan was excellent in that respect,no matter which foot he had to use.

there wouldn't have been much point in Bentley moving if it wasn't to improve his game. IF we make the jump to the Championship this season then Southend v Brentford will be a very interesting fixture.

Sounds a bit stuck up to me. Don't forget you wouldn't be where you are now if it wasn't for Southend Utd.

Sounds a bit stuck up to me. Don't forget you wouldn't be where you are now if it wasn't for Southend Utd.

Think you're reading a little bit too much into it really. We definitely play a little bit more directly and so rarely play the ball out from the keeper, but that seems to be something they do a lot more a Brentford and so Bentley has adapted/developed his game.

Think you're reading a little bit too much into it really. We definitely play a little bit more directly and so rarely play the ball out from the keeper, but that seems to be something they do a lot more a Brentford and so Bentley has adapted/developed his game.

I get where you're coming from.... I just feel he's become a bit of a big billy bollocks. No doubt he's a good keeper granted. My view on him changed when he refused to sign a new contract to be honest. He thinks he's better than he actually is right now. He forgets he's where he is now because of our club with all the time and effort we put into his development. As I said, he's a good keeper but not as good as he thinks he is himself. He's certainly not the finished article yet.

Good. I don't want to see our keepers trying to be like Franz Beckenbauer!*

*One for the teenagers, there!

I'm with you there, I really don't see the need for it, most of these sweeper keepers make mistakes and they are almost always costly. I'm not even a fan of ball playing CB's when it's at the expense of defensive ability, give me a John Terry over a John Stones anyday!

I get where you're coming from.... I just feel he's become a bit of a big billy bollocks. No doubt he's a good keeper granted. My view on him changed when he refused to sign a new contract to be honest. He thinks he's better than he actually is right now. He forgets he's where he is now because of our club with all the time and effort we put into his development. As I said, he's a good keeper but not as good as he thinks he is himself. He's certainly not the finished article yet.

He refused to sign a new contract because there was genuine interest at a higher level and he was clearly above L1 ability even at a young age. We turned down the bids from QPR and Hull and I doubt Bentley was ever going to sign a new contract and who could blame him. Because of his age we got a decent amount of compensation so you can't say we lost out particularly, and our promotion to L1 was in no small part due to him.

With respect to the bit in bold? He's kept 10 clean sheets in 38 games which is a really good record, and he's clearly comfortable at Championship level. Given he's only 23 I don't think it's unreasonable if he is confident in his ability and is ambitious - who wouldn't be?!

I've never seen him say anything particularly negative about his time and experience at Southend.

Completely agree that he isn't the finished article. I fully expect him to be a PL keeper in the near future.

He was when he was with us. But when he was with us he was just a confident young man that was years ahead of himself (especially in goalkeeping terms). Now he's left you, and you're upset with the way he did it, you're seeing things differently.

I also think he knows he's not the finished article, which is why he works hard to improve, and why he's happy with the fact that he has improved, hence his comments in the first place.

Not sure why people read so much into interviews with managers or players. Dan was never going to say I've hardly improved and the football was better at Southend.

That said BBC look east did a piece on us last night on the 18:30 news. Worth a look if someone can post a link

Without Dan Bentley we'd in all likelihood neither have gained promotion to this level nor have maintained that status last year. More than a little has been posted by our own fans about the progress we've made this season in the quality of our football, so I find it hard to work up any particular outrage that Bentley thinks we weren't trying to be Barcelona previously. I suspect that Dan could have gone to a top flight club had he wished, but more than likely to warm the bench as a starting point, so his choice to take a smaller step up (and possibly a smaller pay rise) in order to keep playing and progressing doesn't really marry with the Bertie Big Bollocks caricature either to me.

What's with the desire to bring people who've contributed so much down the second they leave the club? Aren't there enough fans of other clubs who'd happily denigrate our star alumni?

Yes - agree but would also say that we have certainly improved in that area in the 2nd half of this season .......... no matter how competent the keeper is you still need the defenders (or a central midfielder dropping deep as per Anthony Grant) to be capable of taking the ball and distributing it - I would have thought that was better with a back 5 (as per the early part of the season at times) but it didn't seem to happen.

Yes - agree but would also say that we have certainly improved in that area in the 2nd half of this season .......... no matter how competent the keeper is you still need the defenders (or a central midfielder dropping deep as per Anthony Grant) to be capable of taking the ball and distributing it - I would have thought that was better with a back 5 (as per the early part of the season at times) but it didn't seem to happen.

absolutely. you need confident and able CBs and full backs to make it work. I think we're getting there but I've probably not seen us enough to really comment. Also when you have players like Ranger and Fortune it's perfectly reasonable to play it long because you know they have a good chance of either winning possession or territory. A good example is the recent Cov away match where their keeper had a shocker with his distribution, but every time Smith got the ball he played it long to Ranger who either attacked it and won the ball, or backed out and the defender headed it wide or back to us. From there we can build, rather than requiring players to drop deep and I don't think our team is really set up to build and create from deep positions, we'll always rely on a longish pass to our forwards to break through and build from there.

Back