• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Javea Shrimper

Just what I said in my Fanscene article last month :

Brighton and Hove Albion midfielder David Lee regrets turning his back on the Blues. The 24-year-old, from Stanford-le-Hope, will face the Shrimpers at Roots Hall tonight having left the Essex outfit for Hull City in 2001 after just one season with the Seasiders. But after making just eight league starts in the three years since, Lee admitted he now wished he had stayed with Southend.

"Looking back now maybe I should have stayed there for longer," he said. "I left for Hull and I thought it was going to be a good move for me. They doubled my money and the chairman told me they were spending £1m on players, so it would have been hard to turn it down."

But Lee failed to hold a regular starting slot with the Tigers and soon joined Peter Taylor at Brighton in 2002.

Now the central midfielder is bidding to secure a long-term future with the Seagulls after recently signing a three-month contract.

Source : This Is Essex

WS

I never saw him play. I was stuck in the sub-continent. Was he useful?

I know... I'm a terrible supporter.

sad.gif

Yes he was good, scored about 10 goals from midfeild. But he turned down a new contract with us to go to hull. which was a shame because he could of become a great sufc player.

Cant see him playing much for brighton though next season, did he play 2night?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ July 28 2004,21:15)]I never saw him play. I was stuck in the sub-continent. Was he useful?

I know... I'm a terrible supporter.

sad.gif
IIRC he was a good all rounder and carried Maher who had a poor season by his standards during the 2000/01 season.

Lee scored a debut goal [don't they all!
rock.gif
], but his purple patch came after xmas including a penalty [we didn't miss many in those days
ghostface.gif
]

I also seem to remember Hull being in financial trouble around that time, so why he decided to move was [and still is] beyond me! that's football for you...
wink.gif

A definite case of 'I'm better than this'. Poor old Dave chased the filthy lucre to not even make the bench at Hull, then not even make the bench at Brighton. Loaned out to Brizzle Rovers and East Thurrock Utd
rock.gif

Have to agree with WS on this one.........the grass isn't always greener

I never rated him personally. That 10 goals from midfield thing is a bit of a myth as Webby played him up front quite a few times and although I do remember some sweet free kicks, I also remember him as the player who used to miss the pitch from corners. He was built like a match, couldn't tackle and seemed to spend large parts of the game doing nothing. His record since he left us seems to confirm what i thought at the time. Plus he slagged us off when he went to Hull.

if i remember rightly he created 75% of the goals that season (also states that in one of the programs, his crosses were the best we have seen at roots hall! bring him back i say!!! dont think he actually scored when he played upfront
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ July 29 2004,11:16)]I never rated him personally. That 10 goals from midfield thing is a bit of a myth as Webby played him up front quite a few times and although I do remember some sweet free kicks, I also remember him as the player who used to miss the pitch from corners. He was built like a match, couldn't tackle and seemed to spend large parts of the game doing nothing. His record since he left us seems to confirm what i thought at the time. Plus he slagged us off when he went to Hull.
I agree with Smudger (makes a change)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 29 2004,11:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ July 29 2004,11:16)]I never rated him personally. That 10 goals from midfield thing is a bit of a myth as Webby played him up front quite a few times and although I do remember some sweet free kicks, I also remember him as the player who used to miss the pitch from corners. He was built like a match, couldn't tackle and seemed to spend large parts of the game doing nothing. His record since he left us seems to confirm what i thought at the time. Plus he slagged us off when he went to Hull.
So do i. Couldn't give a sh*t about him ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 29 2004,11:26)]I agree with Smudger (makes a change)
I don't!

tounge.gif

If there's a criticism to be levelled at Lee, it's that he was then something of a luxury player... if the team was going forward and doing well, then he made it even better; if the team was struggling and having to fight it out in defence, he seemed to go missing.

His opening-day goal against Brighton remains, however, one of the finest goals I've ever seen at Roots Hall.  He was a highly talented player - a great touch, excellent passing ability and a superb eye for goal. His 10 goals from midfield was a superb return, in light of the fact that he was frequently played out of position by Webb, wide on the right (since the only other option Webb had out there was Gordon Connelly!), and because Webb's preferred midfield pairing was Tinkler & Maher (or Thurgood & Maher).

Still, if I'm brutally honest... even though I'm firmly a member of the DaLAS, it's hard to see how he & Jay Smith could be in the same squad together.  They're very similar as players, going forward, but Jay offers a lot more industry in defence.

And as Jay showed last season against Canvey, he's got an awesome eye for goal when he's in the mood.  There's no question in my mind that provided he stays fit, and provided that the side is brimming with confidence and (especially) is playing well defensively, Jay Smith could have a huge say as to whether or not our season is a successful one.  Of all our our midfielders, he is the one who has the ability to chip in with 10 or so goals from midfield, which is what every promotion-chasing side needs.

However, if Jay Smith can't stay injury-free, I'd have David Lee back at the club tomorrow as Jay's replacement.

cool.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If there's a criticism to be levelled at Lee, it's that he was then something of a luxury player... if the team was going forward and doing well, then he made it even better; if the team was struggling and having to fight it out in defence, he seemed to go missing.

His opening-day goal against Brighton remains, however, one of the finest goals I've ever seen at Roots Hall.  He was a highly talented player - a great touch, excellent passing ability and a superb eye for goal; and he was frequently played out of position by Webb, wide on the right (since the only other option Webb had out there was Gordon Connelly!), and because Webb's preferred midfield pairing was Tinkler & Maher (or Thurgood & Maher).

well said. dont think he ever played centre mid while webby was in charge?! Remember when little was in charge and he played centre mid all the time. him and maher was a good partnership. it would be only good if david lee come back. to be honest thou, he looked good when he came on last night. he is prob more of a div 1 player than div 3 player (or whatever it is called now). i think he may get more of a role this season

David Lee was a decent player he just didn't have the quality players around him. He worked well in the middle with Maher and I would definitely welcome him back.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ July 29 2004,11:52)]Jay Smith could have a huge say as to whether or not our season is a successful one.  Of all our our midfielders, he is the one who has the ability to chip in with 10 or so goals from midfield, which is what every promotion-chasing side needs.

Matt
Mark Gower?

As for Lee, I never rated him. OK, he chipped in with a few goals but he didn't seem to contribute very much other than that. You can get by on goals alone if you play up front but you need more in midfield. And he seemed to think that he was David Beckham.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 29 2004,11:26)]
[b said:
How can anyone that thinks the sun shines out of Broughton's derrière be a judge on footballing matters

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Back