• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Decent Indian in London

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
Anyone recommend a decent Indian Restaurant in London? A friend of mine here in Oz is travelling over to England soon and myself and after the other 'Poms' at football here have been telling her how crap the curries are in Oz she has called my bluff and asked where she can get a decent one in London.

I'd happily direct her to a few in Southend but that's no good to her and I don't really know any in the capital. Of course there are a few decent ones in Brick Lane but there are also plenty of over-priced tourist traps. So where in London would you say go for a decent curry that's not too expensive....?

Anyone recommend a decent Indian Restaurant in London? A friend of mine here in Oz is travelling over to England soon and myself and after the other 'Poms' at football here have been telling her how crap the curries are in Oz she has called my bluff and asked where she can get a decent one in London.

I'd happily direct her to a few in Southend but that's no good to her and I don't really know any in the capital. Of course there are a few decent ones in Brick Lane but there are also plenty of over-priced tourist traps. So where in London would you say go for a decent curry that's not too expensive....?

Mirch Masala on Commercial Road is cheap, cheerful and tasty.

Mirch Masala

Take your own booze because they don't have a licence - there are plenty of local shops that sell Cobra!

If they want megaposh, Chutney Mary in Chelsea and Hakasan off Tot Court Road are supposed to be great. There is a really good one in Aussie territory Wandsworth called The Chutney; very unusual dishes from the norm but still great authentic curry.

There's a great veggie curry house in Hammersmith which is the closest I've come to proper Indian Curry in the UK. Lastly, I heartily recommend one near the one recommended above in Whitechapel - it's called The Tayab and it's dirt cheap and amazingly good grub. Gordon Ramsay said once he eats there every other week, and yet it's one of the cheapest curries I've ever had.

Brick Land is ok if you just avoid the ones trying to offer you free stuff. There's always a catch, and it's often the food...

Depends where you're thinking of in London, obviously. My area of expertise is in the City.

If you're looking for good value, very good quality, but unlicensed, look here: http://www.lahore-kebabhouse.com/ You'll have to book though.

If you're looking for a decent mid price place, again in the City, there are three in this group: http://www.rajasthaniii.co.uk/ - I'm going on Thursday as it happens to the Raj 2

If you want top end, try here: http://www.veeraswamy.com/ It's fantastic!

If you're looking for good value, very good quality, but unlicensed, look here: http://www.lahore-kebabhouse.com/ You'll have to book though.

I was going to mention this one but FS beat me to it.

I've never been there myself, but I met a customer in Dubai a couple of weeks ago, a Pakistani who lived in London for about six months on business. We ended up in a restaurant serving Bangladeshi food and got onto the subject of good curries when he mentioned the Lahore off of Commercial Road. His words were something like... "One day you're going to go to this place, and I guarantee you'll send me an e-mail the next day thanking me for recommending it to you".

Sounds like a safe bet but, like I say, I haven't been myself. Yet.

when i go up to the roayl london, i always get a curry some good place on commercial road and very reasonable

My fave on Brick Lane is Muhib... top quality, every time I've been.

For posh Indian in town, Veeraswamy (on Swallow St, just off Regent St near Picc Circus) is excellent, whilst (for me, at any rate) The Cinnamon Club (Great Smith Street, just round the corner from Westminster Abbey) is a bit overrated.

For Southern Indian cuisine, I have to say that my local (Everest Curry King) in Lewisham is possibly the best in London. The Masala Dosas are out of this world.

:)

You can't go wrong in Brick Lane.

You certainly can. I'm always cautious of those ones that have people outside flogging you 15% off deals. That usually means 15% less meat in your curry.

My recommendation is a bit off the beaten track, but 'Papaya' in Rayners Lane is fantastic. Devilled paneer and masala dosai to die for.

You certainly can. I'm always cautious of those ones that have people outside flogging you 15% off deals. That usually means 15% less meat in your curry.

Seconded. There are some very average ones. Muhib and Nazrul were always the two stronger ones for me. Nazrul no longer has the flocked wallpaper and is unlicenced, so it's Muhib all the way for me.

Matt

Is Saliques still off Brick Lane. that was always one of the better ones, or The Clifton.

My fave on Brick Lane is Muhib... top quality, every time I've been.

For posh Indian in town, Veeraswamy (on Swallow St, just off Regent St near Picc Circus) is excellent, whilst (for me, at any rate) The Cinnamon Club (Great Smith Street, just round the corner from Westminster Abbey) is a bit overrated.

For Southern Indian cuisine, I have to say that my local (Everest Curry King) in Lewisham is possibly the best in London. The Masala Dosas are out of this world.

:)

BTW - Have you ever tried the Indian buffet in Greenwich next to Tai Won Mein (which I know you patronise)?

I often lunch at Tai Won Mein but would give the Indian buffet a whirl if it was any good.

Last edited:
I second that.

We are working with a company based in Leeds (which has some fantastic Indian restaurants) at the moment and we entertain them there because we can blow most of the budget in the pub, have a great meal and pretend we have been somewhere 'nice'.

They all say it is as good as anything they are used to.

Last edited:

Not necessarily, it just means that they've overpriced everything by 15% so that they can offer you a "deal".

Seconded. There are some very average ones. Muhib and Nazrul were always the two stronger ones for me. Nazrul no longer has the flocked wallpaper and is unlicenced, so it's Muhib all the way for me.
Matt

Interestingly, Muhib and Nazrul are the ones I usually go to!

If you want proper Indian food rather than curry, Haandi in Edgware is excellent. I think they have a few restaurants dotted around. There's always one or two tables of Indian people, which is usually a sign of good authentic food...

Only one worth going to

Cafe Spice

Owned and run by Cyrus Todiwala

It is rated as probably the best Indian Restaurant in London if not the country. I have been there a few times with friends and can not recommend it enough.

http://www.cafespice.co.uk/

Back