• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

High St toilets ha ha - am I imagining or was there a minature railway around that lake - I'm thinking east of pier which was not Peter Pans I thought. Funny how it triggers other things

Chesters nightclub in High St under McDonalds near M&S. Full of teen girls and any man that had been refused entry from all the other clubs.

More recently C&A. The shop not the under pier activities.

Nothing tops the Pier in its heyday. Was 9 when big fire happened but I remember the old pier head vividly. Pier trains still ran for years afterwards. I worked in Burger and Chip bars at pier head in early 80s, weekends and hoiidays. I was told that if drivers had slowed down the old trains would have lasted longer. They ignored, safety certificates withdrawn. I used to be allowed to cycle up the pier to work ha ha.

And as for Keddies already mentioned the High St almost died when that closed. It was a magnet and I'm sure other shops benefited. Gave excuse to head to Basildon and the early Lakeside.

It was an amazing place for a curious kid. These were the days when kids did things like play and enjoy the fresh air.

The ride Barracuda at Peter Pan's. That was the coolest ride to me when I used to go there. I think the height restriction was too low as whenever I used to go in it I would almost fall out of the harnesses. It's no surprise they got rid of it but I think about it every time I drive past. Great ride.

Rosehills, got my first pair of Farahs from there.
Tots on a Thursday, free bottle of champagne on your birthday
Meeting at 10 outside Smiths
Our Price
HMV inside Keddies where I first purchased my first album (Beach Boys' greatest hits)
Concept Man (now River Island)

Rosehills, got my first pair of Farahs from there.
Tots on a Thursday, free bottle of champagne on your birthday
Meeting at 10 outside Smiths
Our Price
HMV inside Keddies where I first purchased my first album (Beach Boys' greatest hits)
Concept Man (now River Island)

You sure it was Champagne?

And as for Keddies already mentioned the High St almost died when that closed. It was a magnet and I'm sure other shops benefited. Gave excuse to head to Basildon and the early Lakeside.

It was an amazing place for a curious kid. These were the days when kids did things like play and enjoy the fresh air.

I remember one Saturday a friend of mine stole the hand from a child's mannequin in Keddies. That night we went to the ABC cinema and he pretended it was his hand. Loads of people were nudging eachother and pointing to him, but he took it to the next level when he put a cigarette between two of its fingers and asked a girl for a light.

I reckon you could hear her scream from the Classic!

Fantasy's was the first nightclub I went to.

Nightlife was pretty poor in the late 80's. Chesters / Tots/ Fantasy & Rain. Plus Turtle Bay (Churchills).

Pubs were dire, Dickens and Cork and Cheese are the only two I can remember away from the Seafront ?

Last edited:

How do you play fresh air?

:winking: They told us it was champagne.
Pomagne I expect! God, we all used to take that to parties along with a Watneys Red Barrel and think we were the bee's knees!

Someone on the FB page said about the China Garden (or was it Garden of China?) up in the precinct? They used to do great lunches in there.

Back