• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Different Planet

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Having read some of the bizarre threads /posts on here lately I have decided you are all borg and come from some other planet.

All this talk about keep that player..keep this one, he may regain fitness,or not be a liability or maybe we have some youth star..

These were all the players that let us down and you are now building a team around a few. You are seeing the best in crap players amongst a load of dross this past season. I would want nobody but Francis and Grant...Francis sounds like he is off so I think we have a new beginning...I do not want this reliance on. Oooo we have the youth's coming in or all the ******** that surrounds the likes of Scannel, Laurent et al.. get real these guy's led us into league 2....

We need to start from scratch now with some experienced older players and go from there with our so called youth stars.

You're pretty correct. Harsh analysis on Scannell though!

Laurent on the other hand........!

We don't want to face the truth that we will have 8 contracted first teamers, 4 shocking loanees and fill the bench with kids and finish the season 22nd.

I agree and disagree. Grant is class and would be a great fulcrum in the centre of mid IF he can keep his yellow card count down. Scannell and Moose on their day are very good players but its their inconsistency (and that of most of the players) that cost us last season. In 04/05 we had the likes of Petts, Wilson, Juppy, not oustanding technical players but steady Eddies 7/10 every week, you could rely on them. You cant do that with the current bunch. Certainly the 2 French lads should be ditched, never seen 2 players with so little bottle.
We need bigger, stronger players, those that can put their foot in and wont be bullied easily. The current crop are too lightweight, especially up front where we are frankly powderpuff.

Its easy to say we should replace the lot (and I wouldnt argue with that) but with our reputation down the drain after the wages debacle of last season, all our money problems it may be better to stick with what we got if we can, bumped by a few loanees and just hope we have enough to stay midtable or thereabouts while the stadium is being built (ok think I really do need a lie down now).

all our money problems it may be better to stick with what we got if we can, bumped by a few loanees and just hope we have enough to stay midtable or thereabouts while the stadium is being built (ok think I really do need a lie down now).

Anything other than promotion / playoffs next season is a failure!

Anything other than promotion / playoffs next season is a failure!

It really isn't...

Given the level of upheaval that is bound to occur (And, oddly, some people on here seem to crave) the squad of players that we assemble, and it will be a whole new squad, will need time to gel and gain familiarity. That won't happen overnight, it won't even happen over the course of a pre-season... In truth, they'll need a good few months to fully settle.

Next season, for me anyways, is all about restructuring the club and assembling a squad capable of doing well. If we reach the PO's, then that's a success and if we do the unthinkable and bounce straight back then fantastic.

It's worth noting that none of the clubs relegated last year where even close to the PO's this year...

It really isn't...

Given the level of upheaval that is bound to occur (And, oddly, some people on here seem to crave) the squad of players that we assemble, and it will be a whole new squad, will need time to gel and gain familiarity. That won't happen overnight, it won't even happen over the course of a pre-season... In truth, they'll need a good few months to fully settle.

Next season, for me anyways, is all about restructuring the club and assembling a squad capable of doing well. If we reach the PO's, then that's a success and if we do the unthinkable and bounce straight back then fantastic.

It's worth noting that none of the clubs relegated last year where even close to the PO's this year...

That may be the case, but we are Southend United! We WILL be promoted next season!

I will tell you without my tongue in my cheek what I think will happen at the end of July!

Broadly, I agree with this. Scannell has been a revelation this season, and there are several other players that I think we must keep hold of this season. However I think we are cherry picking the best from a bad bunch from a very, very odd season.

Must haves for next season:
Mildy
Barrett
Herd
Sankofa
Francis
Moussa
Laurent
Grant
Crawford
O; Keefe
Scannell
Revell - if he's coming back - he'll be OK League 2

Let's build around this and we'll be OK

Sorry, I forgot Spencer

Broadly, I agree with this. Scannell has been a revelation this season, and there are several other players that I think we must keep hold of this season. However I think we are cherry picking the best from a bad bunch from a very, very odd season.

Mildy
Barrett
Herd
Sankofa
Francis
Moussa
Laurent
Grant
Crawford
O; Keefe
Scannell

Sorry, I forgot Spencer

Looks pretty much the team that just got us relegated? back to the start of this thread!
while scannel has come on, I think the term revelation is a bit OTT, and revell is not the man to get any team promoted, nice guy or not.

there is a possibility that the above squad could hold its own in league two, and with some replacements they would make adequate subs in a larger squad.
Regardless of who stays, I think its clear that if we want to start winning again we need to see a proven league 2 goal scorer, a dominant centre back, a creative midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and think. and one or two genuine wingers. quite where were gonna get these from is anybodys guess,

Next season could be a massive rebuild and a case of more patience from the fans who will possibly be subjected to some seriously dung football!

Just how fickle will our support be? i'm one of those nutcases who turned up every saturday watching utter cowpat in the vain hope that we might "turn it round". but will our attendances crash this time back in the basement league?
If our core support (no glory hunters) hovers around the 6000 mark next year it will be a testament to our recent outrageously good times over the last few years. luck in the transfer market and non leaguers will make all the difference.

Last edited:
Having read some of the bizarre threads /posts on here lately I have decided you are all borg and come from some other planet.

All this talk about keep that player..keep this one, he may regain fitness,or not be a liability or maybe we have some youth star..

These were all the players that let us down and you are now building a team around a few. You are seeing the best in crap players amongst a load of dross this past season. I would want nobody but Francis and Grant...Francis sounds like he is off so I think we have a new beginning...I do not want this reliance on. Oooo we have the youth's coming in or all the ******** that surrounds the likes of Scannel, Laurent et al.. get real these guy's led us into league 2....

We need to start from scratch now with some experienced older players and go from there with our so called youth stars.

But have you considered the possible form they showed some posters here on Championship Manager this year?

Given the level of upheaval that is bound to occur (And, oddly, some people on here seem to crave)

I don't crave it - I just see it as a neccesity. I'd rather not be in a situation where we have to rebuild from scratch but can't see that we have any option.

Next season has to be one of consolidation - any expectation of finishing higher than mid-table is unrealistic. I remember thinking we'd bounce straight back last time we got relegated to this level, how wrong I was...how many years did it take in the end to get out of that league?

Mildy
Barrett
Herd
Sankofa Gone this morning.
Francis
Moussa
Laurent
Grant
Crawford
O; Keefe
Scannell

Sorry, I forgot Spencer

Amended for accuracy.

Mildy
Barrett
Herd
Sankofa
Francis
Moussa
Laurent
Grant
Crawford
O; Keefe
Scannell

Sorry, I forgot Spencer

That is crazy - do you really think the drop to League 2 is so significant that a bunch of serial losers like that will get us promoted????????? Are you too young to remember how hard it was to get out of League 2 last time?

Francis may have been "player of the year" (aka best of an appalling bunch) but in terms of goals conceded since he signed, he's been an absolute disaster. If he's our best player and he has a record like that it brings his colleagues into sharp focus.....

Kick them all out and start again!

Yes the players have been collectively poor this season.

There are a number of reasons for this . Lack of investment lack of wages or wages on time, injury's/ suspensions and ofcourse lack of consistency in the team line up.

I have no doubt what so ever that all of the above contributed to us going down.

Had we been able to field the same team week in week out would we have gone down?

Had the players been paid would we have gone down?

Had key players not picked up injurys or suspension towards the end would we have gone down?

Im sure if any of those had not happened then we would have been playing league 1 football.

My point is this , yes some of the players were poor. Some of the players did let us down , but i guarantee that we did not have the weakest side in the league nor did we have a side that should have gone down, but we did for the reasons above.

Some will go some will stay , but with a proper squad at a lower level we still have some very decent players.

That is crazy - do you really think the drop to League 2 is so significant that a bunch of serial losers like that will get us promoted????????? Are you too young to remember how hard it was to get out of League 2 last time?

Francis may have been "player of the year" (aka best of an appalling bunch) but in terms of goals conceded since he signed, he's been an absolute disaster. If he's our best player and he has a record like that it brings his colleagues into sharp focus.....

Kick them all out and start again!

Consolidation CANNOT be the aim next season if we have a squad of 16 - 18 with some season long loans, and maybe a few 6 month ones in January then promotion can be the only goal!

In Tilly I trust!

Consolidation CANNOT be the aim next season if we have a squad of 16 - 18 with some season long loans, and maybe a few 6 month ones in January then promotion can be the only goal!

In Tilly I trust!

Yep, so let's get rid of the squad full of donkeys that we seem to have picked up.

Kind of agree with Cricko here. Everyone has been slating this group for ages now, yet ask them who they want to keep and it seems to be most of them.

My must keeps simple:
Francis (looks like he's off thought)
Grant
Moussa

Crawford & O'Keefe are good prospects but can't be expected to be first teamers yet, they'll be useful options from the bench.

Think Herd should be first choice LB next year.

That's it. Everyone else can go, and let's start afresh.

Barrett will be fine at CB in league two, but on a long contract signed back when we were in the Championship he'll be a very high earner, can we afford to keep him in league two? Is he value for money? probably not. As much as I love him, it could be best he goes.

ps. Oh and screech can stay too, as it seems he really wants to (see other thread)

Last edited:
It really isn't...

If next year we aim for consolidation (as we did this year) and we fall short (as we did this year) then we are looking at a relegation scrap and the Blue Square League. If we are not making a real go of getting out of this Division, I think the fans should have been advised accordingly before selling them their tickets.

Why should it be unthinkable? Very average teams eg Dagenham and Morecombe are in with a shout of going up. The new ground must not be allowed to completely dominate the next couple of years whilst the team tries desperately to cling on to League status.

Kind of agree with Cricko here. Everyone has been slating this group for ages now, yet ask them who they want to keep and it seems to be most of them.

My must keeps simple:
Francis (looks like he's off thought)
Grant
Moussa

Crawford & O'Keefe are good prospects but can't be expected to be first teamers yet, they'll be useful options from the bench.

Think Herd should be first choice LB next year.

That's it. Everyone else can go, and let's start afresh.

Barrett will be fine at CB in league two, but on a long contract signed back when we were in the Championship he'll be a very high earner, can we afford to keep him in league two? Is he value for money? probably not. As much as I love him, it could be best he goes.

ps. Oh and screech can stay too, as it seems he really wants to (see other thread)

I agree but will also include, Christophe, Macca (doubt he will be here) we need physical players, Christophe is one! and the one and only Francis Laurent.

I think people are forgetting Pat Baldwin expressing the fact that he would like to stay!
Lets hope!

Back