• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Different Planet

If next year we aim for consolidation (as we did this year) and we fall short (as we did this year) then we are looking at a relegation scrap and the Blue Square League. If we are not making a real go of getting out of this Division, I think the fans should have been advised accordingly before selling them their tickets.

Why should it be unthinkable? Very average teams eg Dagenham and Morecombe are in with a shout of going up. The new ground must not be allowed to completely dominate the next couple of years whilst the team tries desperately to cling on to League status.

That logic isn't applicable here, as we're in a league considerably worse than this one. I tend to think that, over the course of 46 games, teams that get relegated deserve to and we deserved to get relegated this year. If we aim for consolidation next year and find ourselves in the bottom two of the basement league, then there's something categorically wrong with the club, it's management and the entire hierachy.

Consolidation is an absolute minimum aim next season, but we shouldn't be hyping ourselves up to challenge for the PO's when it stands to reason that people who do will ultimately be disappointed. It's incredibly rare that a team bounce straight back, even more so considering the entirely gut wrenching season we've just been through.

You think the fans should have been advised of this before selling them season tickets? What do you want, a disclaimer on the back? "Buying this season ticket could seriously damage your dreams and aspirations".

Broadly, I agree with this. Scannell has been a revelation this season

No he hasn't! Scannel had a very good a game away at Col U and followed it up with some promising performances before getting injured. Prior to that he had shown and offered very little throughout the campaign.

I agree but will also include, Christophe, Macca (doubt he will be here) we need physical players, Christophe is one! and the one and only Francis Laurent.

I think people are forgetting Pat Baldwin expressing the fact that he would like to stay!
Lets hope!

Christophe may be physical but his inability to find a teammate with any kidn of pass may present a problem.
Laurent has about as much bottle as a british tennis player.

Now that Jack and Sankofa have gone I think we will struggle next season.They are the type of players we could have built a team around.

The only way we will get a significant change in playing staff, is if we change the manager. Anyone on contract will not be released, and looking at the quality, no one will be making any offers for them either. We just have to hope, that paying them on time, and playing in a lower division may improve their performances from last season

All of our team without exception have shown touches or being decent or sometimes excellent players this season. But thye have done it all too infrequently. None of us can get into their heads, I hoenstly beleive that the current squad is easily good enough to get us back to league one IF and its a massive IF they are able to play to their ability on a far more regular basis

But can Tilly/Ron make this happen??

No he hasn't! Scannel had a very good a game away at Col U and followed it up with some promising performances before getting injured. Prior to that he had shown and offered very little throughout the campaign.

OK, maybe 'Revelation' was a bit strong, I was pretty drunk, but that aside he has come on very well. I think he's going to be very useful next year.

I will say though that the names I mentioned before, with some consistancy and stability in the side, and the right additions will be the basis of a good squad.

Now that Jack and Sankofa have gone I think we will struggle next season.They are the type of players we could have built a team around.

You said the same thing about Danny Webb and Tony Richards. Danny now plays for a Sunday side in Ecuador (his dad knows the manager) and Tony works at Burger King in Slough. Admittedly he is now head of fries.

Yes the players have been collectively poor this season.

There are a number of reasons for this . Lack of investment lack of wages or wages on time, injury's/ suspensions and ofcourse lack of consistency in the team line up.

I have no doubt what so ever that all of the above contributed to us going down.

Had we been able to field the same team week in week out would we have gone down?

Had the players been paid would we have gone down?

Had key players not picked up injurys or suspension towards the end would we have gone down?

Im sure if any of those had not happened then we would have been playing league 1 football.

My point is this , yes some of the players were poor. Some of the players did let us down , but i guarantee that we did not have the weakest side in the league nor did we have a side that should have gone down, but we did for the reasons above.

Some will go some will stay , but with a proper squad at a lower level we still have some very decent players.

Yeah I fully agree with this. I think with maybe 3 or 4 decent players we have a squad capable of finishing where we did last season (just outside the playoffs in league 1).

To back up this point if we'd have kept Barnard and had Mvoto fit and playing in every game last season we would have stayed up easily.

BUT..

We didnt so its time to get over it and rebuild. For me its not such a bad thing that we get rid of some of the top earners. Macca's getting selected off the back of past glories and for me Barrett (as much as we all love him) doesn't look the same player as a few years ago. He seems to try and make up for a lack of pace by wrestling players shirts and that's a sign of someone struggling.

I do think if we don't make the playoffs next season then it should be considered a failure but with the amount of upheaval players wise its a distinct possibility.

we have to cut down on the loannees. on paper it seems a good idea but i'm too keen on it tbh. they never seem to care. they can go home at the end of the season and not be effected like a permanent player.

i know its not all loanees but the majority.

we need to get in players on contracts rather than relying on loans. i would like us to take lower league players on at the top of their game and then mix it in with our current players who we want/can keep and then add a bit of an experience in there with 1 or 2 pro's at the end of their game.

i stand by my point that i want no one to stay who doesn't want to. and that counts for everyone.

Back