• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Disabled Supporters Club Response

SOUTHEND UNITED FC

“The Club has not had reason recently to become involved in the message board but the messages over the last few days concerning disabled supporters have prompted the Club to make the following known.

During last season demand from the disabled for seats in the ground was at an all time high and many supporters were refused tickets simply because of lack of availability. As in the last three seasons neither the disabled supporter or their carer were charged provided that they could show evidence that they were receiving under the DLA regulations a medium level of care.

When season tickets were released for sale for the 2006 – 2007 season the Club took advice from the Disabled Supporters Association and considered the recommendations from the FA in its guide publication to The Disability Discrimination Act both of which recommended that to avoid a possible charge of discrimination that the Club charged disabled supporters and that their carers should be admitted at no charge. It was also recommended that the Club review its criteria with regard to who should qualify as disabled. It was decided that supporters would for the new season be required to show that they were in receipt of the higher level of care as defined by the DLA regulations.

The Club has for sale a maximum of 20 wheelchair spaces which have 20 carers seats attached to them, 7 seats for the visually impaired and 30 seats for supporters with ambulatory difficulties. Of these 75% were set aside for season ticket holders and all have been sold at the concessionary rate. Where a supporter demonstrated that they could not afford the payment for the season ticket in one amount it was agreed that they could pay over a period to meet their particular circumstances. The remaining 25% are available for match day sales subject to the same criteria.

It was hoped that by complying with legislation in this way and only selling a proportion of available seats by way of season tickets that we would have met a large number of requirements of disabled supporters, both season ticket holders and casual supporters. A small number of initial complaints were received all of which were either resolved or the supporter understood the Club’s position and paid the full rate.

Clearly there is a large variety of disabilities and the Club cannot possibly hope to cater for all types but supporters should know that we have sought further advice to see if a different set of criteria could be applied which might produce a different balance. Until such time as this advice is received the current criteria will remain.”

Moley

So Moley's back? I thought Moley was Jon Childs?

rock.gif

Moley is like Zorro, just a name, a name of a freedom fighter bringing us the most up to date knowledge on Southend United's doings and keeping himself a secret, leading a double life is difficult work and the torch is often past onto those who have proved themselves worthy. We have to praise the lord that there is someone out there who are willing to this dirty job.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ July 11 2006,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ July 11 2006,11:21)]So Moley's back? I thought Moley was Jon Childs?

rock.gif
Not always in the know then  
tounge.gif
Of course, more likely it's Scriven having a bubble.

smile.gif

(Former readers of SZ will remember Moley posting "official" posts, which were quite often from JC)

So long as the Club has consulted widely with disabled supporters, relevant interest groups / charities (eg Disabled Supporters Association, RNIB etc) and the FA, then I don't think we can really criticise their action. Good of Moley to come on here and clear the position up - I've had a disabled acquaintance of mine, who is not a Shrimper but who was interested in coming to Roots Hall - asking me what the position was, so it's good to have had it clarified.

Incidentally, Richard_Cadette (if you're around) - did you speak to the club, and what sort of response did you get?

rock.gif

Matt

Moley,

Thanks for putting us all in the picture and I applaud the club for their sensitive handling of a very difficult issue.

However, shouldn't the "Disabled Supporters Associaton" read the "National Association of Disabled Supporters" and should "DLA" read "DDA" and if not what does it stand for?

As far as I'm concerned the club should ensure there's space / facilities for disabled supporters and give them a concession. Don't see why anybody should expect to get a freeby. Good of the club to do it whilst demand was low but the club are a business so now that the demand is there it's not unreasonable to ecpect them to pay something.

I agree that the club have handled a very tricky issue very well. From what i have seen less abled people can often be upset when they are treated any differently than the society as a whole... even if it means they would stand to gain from a situation. What i'm trying to say is that a wheelchair bound fan sees himself exactly the same as an able bodied one (and rightly so) and expects to pay in the same way too

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TITSUP @ July 11 2006,13:43)]Moley,

Thanks for putting us all in the picture and I applaud the club for their sensitive handling of a very difficult issue.

However, shouldn't the "Disabled Supporters Associaton" read the "National Association of Disabled Supporters" and should "DLA" read "DDA" and if not what does it stand for?
Terry,

DLA stands for "Disability Living Allowance". It comes in two parts:

Help with Care
Help with Getting Around.

The Help with Care element is granted at lower, middle or higher rate. The Help with Getting Around element is granted at either lower or higher rate.

The club had been granting concessions to everyone who qualified for middle rate Help with Care, but have now "raised the bar" and will only grant concessions to those receiving the higher rate. Getting the higher rate for Care is quite a hurdle, and I think that this measure alone will drastically reduce the numbers applying for concessionary tickets. I fully understand that at Roots Hall there is a very limited supply of spaces for people with disabilities, and restricting concessions to those in receipt of higher rate Care is probably as fair a way as any to allocate those spaces, but I very much hope that the new stadium will be built with an ample supply of spaces for disabled supporters

A better explanation of DLA

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ July 11 2006,18:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TITSUP @ July 11 2006,13:43)]Moley,

Terry,

DLA stands for "Disability Living Allowance". It comes in two parts:

Help with Care
Help with Getting Around.

The Help with Care element is granted at lower, middle or higher rate. The Help with Getting Around element is granted at either lower or higher rate.

The club had been granting concessions to everyone who qualified for middle rate Help with Care, but have now "raised the bar" and will only grant concessions to those receiving the higher rate. Getting the higher rate for Care is quite a hurdle, and I think that this measure alone will drastically reduce the numbers applying for concessionary tickets. I fully understand that at Roots Hall there is a very limited supply of spaces for people with disabilities, and restricting concessions to those in receipt of higher rate Care is probably as fair a way as any to allocate those spaces, but I very much hope that the new stadium will be built with an ample supply of spaces for disabled supporters

A better explanation of DLA
I think this change of rule has brought us in line with most other clubs.

Take Swansea for example they have a massive 252 spaces available for Wheelchair users and charge a reduced rate but only if you are also in receipt of the higher level of DLA. QPR only have a total of 12 wheelchair spaces 6 are sold to season ticket holders and only 3 available to home fans and 3 for away fans on a match by match basis.

Southend have been very generous in offering free tickets for many years. If any of our disabled supporters travel to away games (I have seen some) most of the time they have to buy a reduced rate ticket and the helper goes free.

Back