• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

do they want more hoofers at the Hall -

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
I really hate it when we start bossing the midfield, shifting the ball about with a bit of pace, probing the wings, looking to get an extra man in .... playing good football and making the opposition work ...... retaining possession and keeping the ball on the floor

AND then the moaners and groaners start with their deeply developed insight into the game -

"Get it in there " -

"Put it in the box - "

"Get it forward"

"Whats the matter - get it up there"

You don't score goals by going sideways! I agree it's better to keep possession that to 'lump it' into the box though.

You also don't let in goals when you have the ball either.

Rayleigh, there are always some who moan no matter what. Just console yourself with your self satisfaction that you know better. There is nothing wrong with football snobbery!

I don't think putting a high cross in from the wing can be classed as 'hoofing' the ball?

I think some people moan because sometimes we over work the ball & do infact end up going backwards (& losing possesion) when a good cross into the box can cause all sorts of problems.

I quite often shout 'get it in the box' when one of our players is on the wing. Doesn't always happen though and quite often the short ball inside is the better option. Won't stop me shouting for the cross into the box though:)

Yeah sometimes we want to score the perfect goal and always **** about to watch, thats why people say get it in the box. I think we do play a very slow tempo when we get hold of the ball, i don't care how we score as long as the ball gets put it in the onion bag.

thing is i don't think we are the team or have the players to win the ball in the box if we did just hoof it up there. we havn't got many big players who are that good in the air. our game is passing through the midfield and using the wings and then cutting in.

this is also our down-fall as teams who do their homework will know the style we play and be able to predict what we are going to do before we do. when we have an attack i think you can kind off predict exactly what are going to do on that attack. quite predictable.

The best two teams in the country hardly ever hoof it.Surely this is what we should be aiming for. Unortunately, as soon as you put a tall striker in, e.g. Harrold, and often Clarke, the tendency is to hit it long. Liverpool do exactly the same with Crouch.

The other thing which a lot of teams do when they are losing, is throw big men forward and start hoofing it. If this is their best chance of scoring, why dont they start the game that way?

I would rather we try and pass the ball, as a previous poster said, you cant concede a goal if you have the ball.

It is all about getting the balance between pretty passing and putting the final ball in/through. Arsenal last season were arguably the best passing and best 'footballing' team around but what is the point in putting 50 passes in before you lose the ball.

I agree with the long ball haters though. I don't think our team is particularly built for it and hasn't been for a long time.

Granted it can work in some instances but I think the Boltons and Wimbledons of this world are the execption rather then the rule.

Unfortunately I have not seen many games this season so can't comment on how we have been playing but with the players we have and hopefully the movement and pace that I have been reading about with Morgan and Macdonald we should be able to keep the ball on the floor and create chances.

It is all about getting the balance between pretty passing and putting the final ball in/through. Arsenal last season were arguably the best passing and best 'footballing' team around but what is the point in putting 50 passes in before you lose the ball.

I agree with the long ball haters though. I don't think our team is particularly built for it and hasn't been for a long time.

Granted it can work in some instances but I think the Boltons and Wimbledons of this world are the execption rather then the rule.

Unfortunately I have not seen many games this season so can't comment on how we have been playing but with the players we have and hopefully the movement and pace that I have been reading about with Morgan and Macdonald we should be able to keep the ball on the floor and create chances.

Absolutely spot on, I was about to post the same thing.

We are one of the most eye catching teams in the league at times, and some of the football we have played under T and B has been sensational, however, there does have to be an end product, and getting the balance right is what it is all about.

Arsenal last season, are a perfect example of that, often played teams off the park, but had no plan B if they couldnt score via that route. This season, with a taller striker in the side, and a slightly different ethos about their play, they are top of the league, and are not afraid to mix it up when they need to, the same goes for Man Utd... They have never been frightened to get the ball forward quickly if there is an opportunity to exploit the opposition, whilst at the same time, sticking to the principles of playing attacking and exciting football.

Everyone at a game will have different opinions about how they like to see their football played etc, some are more cultured than others, I guess that is what makes the sport so wonderful.

Two weeks ago, at home to Cheltenham and 1-0 up, the cretin element of our fans went mental when, after a six-pass one-touch move, our left-mifielder knocked the ball back over the halfway line rather than losing it as he was about to do by looking forwards. Various cries off "**** off Demetriou!", "Sub them all Ling" and "Not fit to wear the shirt" were heard in my proximity, let alone elsewhere. 30 seconds and 8 passes later we were 2-0 up. Just goes to show what morons football fans are.

I think the main problem is that the bulk of people that moan about the players have never player football to any level at all and dont often understand the principles of the game.

The amount of ****ers that moan about a backwards pass to keep possesion makes me laugh really.

Two weeks ago, at home to Cheltenham and 1-0 up, the cretin element of our fans went mental when, after a six-pass one-touch move, our left-mifielder knocked the ball back over the halfway line rather than losing it as he was about to do by looking forwards. Various cries off "**** off Demetriou!", "Sub them all Ling" and "Not fit to wear the shirt" were heard in my proximity, let alone elsewhere. 30 seconds and 8 passes later we were 2-0 up. Just goes to show what morons football fans are.

Yeah! Fancy watching Orient.

I think the main problem is that the bulk of people that moan about the players have never player football to any level at all and dont often understand the principles of the game.

The amount of ****ers that moan about a backwards pass to keep possesion makes me laugh really.

Yeah, totally agree. Probably the most prominent example is when Kevin Maher has the ball. More often than not he receives it deep and with the opposition having nine or ten men behind the ball at that stage, usually the only pass on is square to one of his full-backs. Of course, the cretin element don't recognise this and yell "Forwards!" despite the fact there is no option to go forward.

There was even one instance this season when someone yelled abuse at him for a square pass - and we scored two seconds later. Guess which pass I'm referring to...

Yeah, totally agree. Probably the most prominent example is when Kevin Maher has the ball. More often than not he receives it deep and with the opposition having nine or ten men behind the ball at that stage, usually the only pass on is square to one of his full-backs. Of course, the cretin element don't recognise this and yell "Forwards!" despite the fact there is no option to go forward.

There was even one instance this season when someone yelled abuse at him for a square pass - and we scored two seconds later. Guess which pass I'm referring to...

The one vs Cheltenham at home when he trod on the ball and they scored???

14 pass move ending in a goal? Don't beleive that Jonnny!

Orient the new Brazil......... :D

I get bemused by fans ranting when we are a goal up and just playing keep ball.. Also as mentioned when they have 10 men in their half and we take our time looking for an opening or trying to draw them out to make some space..But thats the joy of football.. ranting a lot!!

Back