• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do we really want to get promoted this season?

tommytwoholes

I really do think that with a bit of good fortune in the injurys/bans department that promotion this season is not unachievable. I would however be a little worried that we would get really turned over in the championship. Dont get me wrong i know we did it before but that league has improved ten fold. I really think some big money signings would have to be made just to stay in that league. Money i doubt we would have. I would love nothing more than to have leeds southampton visit etc , but the saints played there reserves against us beat us easily. What do we think....

I would love us to go up, with a few more decent players, we could easily stay up. Money is no object to sir RON, onwards and upwards...!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scamps @ Sep. 14 2005,15:14)]Money is no object to sir RON, onwards and upwards...!
Really?

If we do go up again i feel that iot may be too soon, although some of our players, Im sure, could play at a higher level!

I reckon if we would go up we would come straight back down. I reckon stay around in league 1 for a bit and get money in for when we could give the Championship a really good go. Although that interrupt Tilly's Five Year Plan.

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tommytwoholes @ Sep. 14 2005,15:12)]I really do think that with a bit of good fortune in the injurys/bans department that promotion this season is not unachievable. I would however be a little worried that we would get really turned over in the championship. Dont get me wrong i know we did it before but that league has improved ten fold. I really think some big money signings would have to be made just to stay in that league. Money i doubt we would have. I would love nothing more than to have leeds southampton visit etc , but the saints played there reserves against us beat us easily. What do we think....
Onward and upwards indeed! Besides the 3-0 loss to Southampton "reserves" was far from a true picture of the game and we held our own against them for the majority of the 1st half.

I think a number of London Prem sides would be willing to loan us players were we to get promoted, that may be enough on its own to keep us in that division, allowing consolidation.

We would definetely need to sign 4 or 5 quality players if we went up! But hey one step at a time let's get there first!
tounge.gif

think consolidation and staying up is more the issue really but dont think you could turn promotion down if we happened to get in that position

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves here after a good start to life in League One. I'd obviously be delighted if we were to be promoted but I can't see it happening, in the long run I feel it would be better if we were to establish ourselves in this division first.

This is the strongest squad we have had at Roots Hall for sometime, but I don't think its strong enough for the Championship yet. I feel we would be found wanting in defence. Barrett and Wilson have struggled to adapt to this level, Eagle and Spinner's legs are struggling to keep them going for a full season. Hunt I think would be good enough and Jupp possibly. In goal I don't think Bart or Darryl is strong enough for the Championship, they both have weaknesses that Championship forwards and wingers will target.

We'd need two possibly three new forwards if we went up as Goater will be retiring in the summer, Gray might not be good enough and Lawson is still rough around the egdes and needs time to develop. Also, Freddy has struggled this year and there is no grantee that he wont should we go up. I think the midfield would be strong enough though.

Lets continue to add to our squad and pick up results and settle for staying in League one for the time being.

I think promotion would be handled far better at board level a second time around, and any big contracts would have relegation clauses and so on to avoid setting the club back financially like last time. To be honest I think it will all be irrelevant as I can't really see us challenging this season, but if we do I certainly won't be cheering against us!

I think the question is irrelevant. We won't be anywhere near the promotion places this year, mid-table is a safer bet. If by some miracle we do get promoted, I think it would be counter productive as we'd go straight back down again. Consolidation this year, then we can build for the future.

Lets get to the playoffs and establish ourselves, would be nice to get into the championship with a new stadium ready, The midfield would be brilliant in the championship but im not sure if the stikers and defence wuld be up to standard, give tilson 6 more years and we will be in the champions league ok?

Well I want us to go up this season and it isn't impossible. Stayng in Division 2(I still call it that) would be hard but Crewe have managed it on a far smaller budget that Southend's so it is possible.

I remember back in 1991 when we went up everyone thought we would go straight back down but we more than held our own and were even competng for promotion until Jobson ruined it. Yes that League is much tougher than it was then but I would love to see us play there again. Plus it might just give us another chance of beating West Ham again(07/04/03 Southend 1 West Ham 0 still the greatest ever victory I ever saw)

We have to get promoted or else Tilly's 5 year plan to take a team from the foot of the bottom league to the top of the top won't have time to operate in.

I'll be angry if we don't get promoted this year

I've never really understood the notion that we have to stay in this league for a couple of years before progressing, after all, 46 games is long enough to judge whether somebody is too good for the league and should be playing at a higher level - IF we do go up (I maintain I'd still be delighted with consolidation) it will be on merit and it will have proved the players are good enough.

Anyway, we're only eight games in, and there will be a dip in form at some stage as well as injuries.

My concern isn't about whether we would be good enough - it's the massive wages we would have to pay to entice stronger players.

The Crewe analogy is however a good one. But I think Dario Gradi is a lot to do with it. Also Crewe have massive Prem clubs on their doorstep and because of Gradis reputation I would imagine there is no shortage of promising youngsters taht would learn their tradeat The Alex and then progress to a higher level. Dean Ashton is a prime example of that.

Tilly and Brush have some way to go before they achieve the same kudos but in time, if things continue in the same way (and especially if we get a new stadium) maybe we can consolidate to be a decent Championship side.

My gut feeling is that it will be too much too soon this year. But, like everyone else, if we get to the final match and need a point to go up, I am not exactly going to be rooting for the other side!

I'd love us to go up, what a tribute that's be for the Tilly and Brush Empire.
I do not want playoffs as my most significant other has booked a holiday immediately after the last game of the normal season.
oops.gif

So if any players are lurking on this board can I ask that we employ the spirit of the Ashes in any Grimsby/yeovil type scenario. Particularly if we lose the LDV for a third year running. And if we lose the LDV final for a third time do we get to keep the runners up trophy/medal ?

Back