• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Does Uncle Ron actually want promotion this season.

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Just a thoery that Dad of DtS and I have been working on.

FF is two years away. Now if we were to go up this season then chances are we would come straight back down the following year meaning our first season in FF would be off the back of a relegation campaign.

My thinking is that maybe Ron thinks it might be better to have another season here before trying to push on the season after. If that scenario plyaed out then Ron would have championship football in the first season at FF which in turn would mean increased revenue and support which would give us better players maybe.....

Do you think Ron wants it this season if he is honest or from a business point of view would he rather have a year of mid-table obsucrity?

Of course he wants promotion. Accounts recently released proposed that relegation cost us around £2.7m...

If we were to be promoted this season, and then come straight back down, I'd like to think that having just been relegated and moving into a spanking new 22,000 capacity stadium would spark belief that we'd go straight back up... Having not much of an affect on attendances and revenue.

I do think, however, that RM is being mindful of the stadium cost and the delicacy of the financial situation and is, quite rightfully, being overly cautious about jumping into any kind of transfer deal.

Why spend £250k+ on a striker, A position where we already have 6 players fighting for 2 places, when we're in dire need of defensive options, where we have 4 players fighting for 4 places.

He wants promotion, he's just astute enough to realise that running up debt would still only carry a slim chance of that in a division set to contain so many relatively big guns. Even from a selfish POV it would make no sense for Ron's company to want us to stay in a division where we either need to cut back drastically or lose money.

Ron wants us back up.. We havnt done too badly these last two seasons.. im sure he'd much rather we were a yoyo club between level 2 n 3.. rather than 3 n 4..
being at either business end of any league creates intrest.. I would much rather that then doing a Palace for example..
I have mentioned this before , but in the last 4/5 odd years the only games we have played in that 'didnt matter' where the last few in the Championship and the last few this season.. Thats what gets the crowds in

Of course he wants promotion for the extra money that will bring into the club. There is no guarentee that we'd stay up, neither is it certain we'd go straight back down.

It would stupid to say let's not get promotion this year because you might never get promotion ever again.

I would think he would take any promotion he could get. I know we struggled last time, but once there we just have to find 3 other teams who may be worse than us, in financial meltdown (like Southampton, Luton, Leeds etc in previous seasons) etc, going for a promotion push next season is no more likely to see us in the championship when we move to FF then trying to stay up having got there this year.

The theory might have some legs if you could guarantee that those were the only two options. The reality is that any attempt to deliberately avoid getting promoted could, and probably would, backfire with option 3 i.e. us freefalling down to L2. And that most certainly wouldn't make RM a happy bunny at all.

think he wants a stadium more. i feel sorry for tilly who has to put up with not being able to get anyone in. personally think he's done miracles with was he has had to work with. if you offered me mid-table now then that would be an improvement of where i think we will finish.

The story is that promotion now would be against the RM master plan, which is to open the new stadium in the Championship. A 'too early' promotion would mean having to spend too much money just to stay there waitng for the ground to be started and completed. RM had his fingers burnt with our last dabble in the Championship and will be quite happy teasing us with a sniff of the play-offs while he masterminds the big move, which quite honestly, I cant see happening any time soon.

The story is that promotion now would be against the RM master plan, which is to open the new stadium in the Championship. A 'too early' promotion would mean having to spend too much money just to stay there waitng for the ground to be started and completed. RM had his fingers burnt with our last dabble in the Championship and will be quite happy teasing us with a sniff of the play-offs while he masterminds the big move, which quite honestly, I cant see happening any time soon.

What he said. I think Ron would only want to get promoted if we could follow it up by staying up.

Are you people really serious? Do you actually believe that RM can manipulate T&B, the players, and I guess the opposition too, with the degree of subtlety that would be required to make the play-offs but not automatic promotion (and then fail), or to work some sort of magic behind the scenes so that we finish just outside the play-offs following a gallant late effort (like this year).

Undoubtedly he could do things to ensure (or as near as makes no difference) that we finish bottom. And I guess if he invested £50million or so, he could reasonably expect to finish top or thereabouts (or so the theory goes anyway). But to achieve what people are suggesting he is planning is ridiculous.

It might be in RM's interest to achieve promotion just as we get the new stadium. It might not be ideal were we to go up and then back down again just as FF is opened. It definitely wouldn't be in his plans at all to get relegated and be in L2 when the ground opens.

Last edited:
i reckon he would take promotion this season, as he will then spend a bit to keep us in he championship for the opening of FF. Last season if the question would of been asked i would have said definately not.

i reckon he would take promotion this season, as he will then spend a bit to keep us in he championship for the opening of FF. Last season if the question would of been asked i would have said definately not.

I'm not having a go at you in particular KS, but do you honestly believe that there is an amount of money (you referred to it as "a bit") that will keep us in the Championship?

If there was I think you'll find Leeds, Leicester, Norwich, Charlton et al would have written the cheque and avoided the drop to L2.

My heart would always want to believe that The Blues are fighting hard to gain promotion but my head tells me different. This is not a negative post. If I were in RMs shoes right now I would have to look long and hard at the pros and cons of promotion and on balance the cons win.
It would be a mammoth task to try and outbuy a good number of the clubs in our division and before the security of FF is well and truly in place then prudence is a sensible ploy.
Before people go on about the new stadium in two seasons time, perhaps they might want to wait until at least a brickie is spotted at FF. In the world of development cost increases and delays are common place. I believe the stadium will happen but whether on time or not your guess is as good as mine. So for which season is RM planning to get promotion in readiness for FF. Lets wait and see.
If you look at some of the player departures in recent seasons and the lack of suitable replacements coming in then maybe you could make a case for those players truly believing their new clubs to have more ambition. If us the fans are questioning the desire of the club to go forward now then surely the players must do to.
I want to see players come in but only to strengthen the squad so as to not become embroiled in a relegation fight. L1 for me until the warchest has been dug up from beneath the new Roots Hall turf.
On another post I questioned only one player coming in as stated on the OS and several people assumed that I thought there would only be one transfer in full stop. No. But I do believe we need more than one CB. Don't you?

This surely is pretty simple I reckon.

Of course he wants promotion. If we get promotion and play in the championship it will be far easier for Ron to cash in our sponsorships etc for the new ground the season after.

HOwever, the question should be, "Should Ron gamble and mortgage our future for promtion this season "? and that answer is no !! Football must learn to opearte within the current financial parametres you have, or has no one learned from Southampton, Leeds, Luton, Norwich, Charlton - need I go on.

Ron will support where he can and promotion is good for the club, but at what price do we cash 'the dream' !!

Are you people really serious? Do you actually believe that RM can manipulate T&B, the players, and I guess the opposition too, with the degree of subtlety that would be required to make the play-offs but not automatic promotion (and then fail), or to work some sort of magic behind the scenes so that we finish just outside the play-offs following a gallant late effort (like this year).

Undoubtedly he could do things to ensure (or as near as makes no difference) that we finish bottom. And I guess if he invested £50million or so, he could reasonably expect to finish top or thereabouts (or so the theory goes anyway). But to achieve what people are suggesting he is planning is ridiculous.

It might be in RM's interest to achieve promotion just as we get the new stadium. It might not be ideal were we to go up and then back down again just as FF is opened. It definitely wouldn't be in his plans at all to get relegated and be in L2 when the ground opens.

I think that we should pefix this theory with "ideally etc......." Of course he cant manipulate all and sundry, but by getting along on a shoestring and loanees its obvious we are not going for 'the big push'. We are a small club chuntering along (and have been for 100years) waiting for the gravy train to pull in, but with the size of clubs coming down even a sparkly new stadium wont guarantee success.

Of course RM wants promotion, we all do.

You can never grantee promotion, and some Clubs go through seasons upon seasons of nothing, not near promotion, not near relegation so when you have the chance of promotion you should be going full tilt for it. Just because you miss out one season doesn't mean you will be back up there again the following season. Look at Stoke for example, if they hadn't won promotion to the Premiership I very much doubt they'd have been up there challenging again.

Also, if RM wants us to stay down this season, and win promotion next season then there is nothing stopping 3 more big teams coming down, and the big 4 already down here not going up. The division could be twice as hard in a couple of seasons time.

RM will want us as a Championship side because of the money it will generate. Just look at the £2.4 million we lost by getting relegation. The increased attendances and television money makes the Championship the place to be for us. To think RM doesn't want that to happen is laughable.

If money is as tight as it seems, RM might go for the 'momentum generated consecutive promotion' option which would see us return to League 1 in our first season in the new stadium and aided by the extra revenue fund a successful promotion campaign to the Championship .

Which of course would involve the R word this season :'(:stunned::'(

I'm not having a go at you in particular KS, but do you honestly believe that there is an amount of money (you referred to it as "a bit") that will keep us in the Championship?

If there was I think you'll find Leeds, Leicester, Norwich, Charlton et al would have written the cheque and avoided the drop to L2.

Have a go mate, i don't mind. Your opinion is a valid as mine, actually probably more so ;)

The bit i talk about would be "a bit" more than we spent last time, and we would have a carrot to attract players of playing in a shiny new stadium with excellent facilities. The other thing the above clubs doesn't have is Lord Tilson at the Helm!!!

Back