• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Doncaster away - myth and reality....

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
of course no-one wants to talk about it ...... but ......

The widely accepted myth now seems to be "we didin't turn up" and "one or two players let us down" but is this really how it was ?

For me it was not quite like that and it was a bit more complicated - I don't even really buy the "Donny were fab" thing either -

So do you buy the myth or have your own reality ?

i'd completely forgotten about the game to be honest and was just looking forward to the coming season.

We weren't great by any stretch of the imagination but Donnie weren't 5-1 better either. It was a game where everything went in for them. Coppinger got a hat-trick but by all accounts had been patchy all season and had only scored 7 (?) up to that point. If Walker has scored it would have been very different. I dont blame Walker though- without him I doubt we would have made the play-offs at all.

IMO Donny were fab. I don't think that I've ever seen a lower league side pull off that system and knock the ball about so well. We lost to a better side - as great as it would be to win every time, that happens. Losing in the playoffs wasn't a bad season at all given the downward momentum we started the season with if you ask me.

We did very well to get in the playoffs a year after relegation. Donny were better than us and had one of those days where everything goes in. Can we move on now please. There is a brand new season ahead of us, the past is past and the future awaits.

We were robbed. The First goal was never a penalty, Barret was shoved for the 2nd, The Third goal (apart from a bad deflection) was a direct result of an almighty **** up by the ref when he gave a goal kick instead of a corner, the 4th was never a free kick and I can't remeber much about the 5th but I am sure there was something wrong with it as well.
Just after Walkers chance , Barrett was held back in the box with a far more blatent foul than Clarkes yet nothing was given. It was a complete Yorkshire fit up to ensure an all Yorkshire wembley play off final.

It was over six weeks ago. Couldn't give a monkeys now, it's all about the coming season.

We have Great Wakering on wednesday. Let's show the TV cameras once again that we have the best fans in the land.

We were robbed. The First goal was never a penalty, Barret was shoved for the 2nd, The Third goal (apart from a bad deflection) was a direct result of an almighty **** up by the ref when he gave a goal kick instead of a corner, the 4th was never a free kick and I can't remeber much about the 5th but I am sure there was something wrong with it as well.
Just after Walkers chance , Barrett was held back in the box with a far more blatent foul than Clarkes yet nothing was given. It was a complete Yorkshire fit up to ensure an all Yorkshire wembley play off final.

this is far closer to my reality than the myth - and after we were 3 -0 down by half time ...... and then 4- 0 down well then we did not show up -

Goals change games and from 2-0 up Donny could look good but were not really all that at all for me ....

The first two goasl were down to terrible refereeing and after that .......

AND
if you don't want to talk about you certainly don't have to - there are plenty of other threads

We were victims of some terrible judgement calls and non-calls by the officials, as far as I saw it, but it doesn't really matter now does it?

I heard the team had a dodgy Little Chef tenderfoot breakfast on the way up north and we witnessed the inevitable consequences against Doncaster.

Rumour has it Brushy wants to switch to a continental style of breakfast next season but there is some inertia from the senior pros.

The widely accepted myth now seems to be "we didin't turn up" and "one or two players let us down" but is this really how it was ?

For me it was not quite like that and it was a bit more complicated - I don't even really buy the "Donny were fab" thing either -

Donny outplayed us at their place in the league as well.

So you are the only one that knows the truth eh? It seems that you, like many on here, confuse opinion with fact.

I was there and saw it with my own eyes. I do have an opinion on why we lost, but I wouldn't claim it as a definitive view.

In my view, we were under a bit of pressure up until the Walker miss; then we had a bit of bad luck with the ref's decisions to go 2 down. Donnie then started to believe the game was their's and we seemed to agree with them.

On that day just about everything they tried came off and we ran out of ideas and belief pretty quickly.

Now for next season and hopefully automatic promotion; although I'd settle for another go at the play-offs to be honest.

UTB

Absolutely bang on the money!

You just saved me writing all that out,thanks Firestorm!!

No way were Dungcaster that great.They got the decisions,the luck,then our team almost gave up at 3-0 down and that was just after half-time!

Back