• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't hit me with those negative waves so early

And it's support like yours we don't need to best not post infuture.
That's a bit unfair, there are almost certainly other fans who feel the same. I saw my first Shrimpers match in the late 1950's and still find it hard to come to terms with my club playing non league football and losing at home to Boreham Wood. Like others I blame Ron Martin for this. Yes, I still come to every home game as I have done for over sixty years apart from when ill, and still enjoy the experience. I think the current set up, apart from the owner, makes things a bit more encouraging. But to criticise fans who still feel a bit pessimistic is over the top. We lose our Football League status after over a hundred years thanks to a property developer with big ideas and empty pockets, no wonder some are still unhappy. It's far to early to write off our chances this season and despite some feeling more optimistic than others we all only want the best for the team we support through thick and thin.

Didn't go yesterday as was at Colchester Park watching simply Red (bought tickets for the wife three years ago, long story).
For what it's worth I feel we need to be patient as things are not going to change overnight. About time a few posters on here accepted we are non league. Been a fan since the late sixties and been through all sorts of grief in that time. We are where we are and need to get on with trying to climb up the leagues again. Let's stick together and get behind the team and management and do it in spite of Ron. For what it is worth I am not happy with the way he has run the club all these years bu but don't honestly believe he has done this out of choice

Love it, I respect you big time well done fellow shrimper
It's what we do. I may live in the ****hole of Lowestoft now but Southend will always be home and Blues are always my team. Remember my ole man when I first got married and moved out. Used to call him on a Friday teatime. ' You going tonight dad?' 'No I've given up on that ****' 'Okay pick you up 6.30' Bless him the old bugger was always ready

Interesting debate which often gets raised. Some people rose tinted others too negative. Personally i am in the optimistic camp and don't really enjoy reading pessimistic views preferring to hope that we'll do better next match.

As has been said it is all about opinions. Nobody is right or wrong, but i would say that as we acknowledge the toxic environment at the club and how bad it has been last few seasons, we need to recognise this extends to our supporters. We have a role to provide a supportive environment to assist the players in achieving success. Constant criticism of the team, whilst understandable at times, will not result in players improving.

It is a choice as fans, and i know we all want what is best for the club, but are we always doing everything we can to help?

Totally agree I have been wanting to post something but timing not been right now it is.

I have had a season ticket over 30 years go home and away, we are a mess of a club behind the scenes things are getting better slowly. But I noticed lack of communication coming out of club over summer on certain things, good staff leaving the club after long service no real explanation. Look at Mr Collymore who i love to bits been very wuiet over the summer then rocks up like nothing going on yesterday. we got a long way to go to get out of of the toughest league in the country, we have no money and can only get average players who we can only hope our coaches make into a good team over the next few years this I believe will happen.

Look at Wrexham last time they was a league club was when they played us at Cardiff many years ago nothing is a given.

So please lose the negatives to our Club we are one team and will ger there.

I know its not nice when we lose but I for the first time in years belive over the next few years we will get there. COYB
"Look at Mr Collymore, very quiet over summer then rocks up like nothing going on yesterday ".

Really not sure what that's supposed to mean? Do you want me to take the mic and sing? Chat to all 5600 supporters individually and tell them everything that I know about the club's business?

Or like every other game I attend, should I chat to opposition guests, sponsors, Kev and the staff, groundsman to see if there's anything i can help with, likewise catering, media and other staff? In other words bring people together as I promised to do?

My remit is not HR, or people leaving the club. That's the CEO and owner who employ them. I have zero remit or power to make one decision at the club. I advise, create a strategy and try to persuade others that things I advise on, work.

I come up with and try to get through good ideas across media, commercial, recruitment and supporters meetings once a month. The latter I have made myself available every month since last November but only one happened. You'll have to ask senior admin why others haven't happened as they sign off on then, but I'm available every month.

Look how many new sponsors are on board with several more to follow. Do you know what I spent several days a week every week through summer doing? Emailing and calling businesses and posting on networking sites to see if they'll join us, then passing details on to commercial to get deals done. One guy was ready to chuck his 30 year season ticket in the bin, but instead sponsored us. Ask him why. I believe he's a SZ regular.

Recruitment? A steady stream of QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE names to constantly update the target list to take the place of those we couldn't get across the line. Read my earlier post about how many clubs, and which clubs I've been in direct contact with across the summer. Along with John Still ( taking a holiday at the moment, are you going to dig him out for not being at Roots Hall on Saturday? ) and the coaches, and scouts the names we put to the CEO and chairman have been FIRST CLASS in this division, but they sign off and Kev decides ultimately who he wants, so i won't be criticised for frankly helping administer a recruitment department that's more professional than this club arguably have ever had and will pay dividends if people are patient rather than throwing toys out of the prams after one match.

Let's turn to media. Ive got one of the country's best cameramen/directors to make a nice club video to sell to sponsors and for Supporters to be get behind. Cost normally? 25-30k. Cost to us ? Zero, he's offering to do it as a favour. You may have also noticed media output is sharper, more regular, more insightful. Who do you think advises and offers ideas for that?

I met the owner last week in London to give him my candid ( as candid as I am to you ) opinion on a number of things across media, recruitment, commercial and supporters, and he and Tom both received a full match précis by 8pm on Saturday night along with a list for Tom of things I'd like to push forward with, as my job is STRATEGY, not signing off on commercial deals, not hiring anyone, not deciding which players come in or leave, not deciding what the media department do and not forcing supporters to meet every month, all of those things I advise on but ultimately others decide to do them or not.

I keep hearing snipes about my contacts book. That contacts book is tangibly bringing in sponsors, players, publicity ( 2 page spread on Southend in the Daily Mail in the hope that the club's good work gets noticed ) , engages with sponsors home and away, and most importantly tries get us anything and everything for free or at little cost. That may be asking a club to waive a potential loan fee or as above getting a media pro to give us free content, saving previous resources to be able to target elsewhere. Every part of my remit is working well bar monthly supporters meetings, and one last time I'll say, I'm available every single month to fill everyone in person who turns up as to what we are trying to do.

But you should all know me we enough by now, in this post and over the last 20 odd years, I won't be mocked for working hard through the summer but be mocked for daring to turn up we Roots Hall against Borehamwood and watch the game from the Directors box as i always do. Next time i'll bring a tray, some popcorn and coke just so one or two can see I'm working.

I get the frustration, people don't like losing matches and especially on matchday one where enthusiasm is at its highest. But to start complaining about someone who's role at the club has helped and is helping bring in some common sense, accountability, professionalism, passion and pride for the club is mean spirited and uncalled for.

The supporters meetings will be where I talk directly to you all, with occasional posts like this when one or two go beyond legitimate questions and in my opinion add unnecessary toxicity to the best Football forum anywhere. Many of you said you don't want a running commentary so running commentary is off the menu. But don't think for a minute that I won't respond to anything that goes over the line because as I say to every single person at the club, I'm here because i want to help a club that means a lot to me not because I need to be.

I've worked hard through the summer for Southend United, please respect that.

Stan

With the negativity, you only need to look at two match rating threads.

We beat Boreham Wood 1-0 last season at home, 92 posts. We lose 1-0 to Boreham Wood at home, and there are currently 307 posts at the time of writing this post…

We beat Boreham Wood 1-0 last season at home, 92 posts. We lose 1-0 to Boreham Wood at home, and there are currently 307 posts at the time of writing this post…
In general you’re absolutely right. In fairness though, there was always going to be a difference between a tail end of the season game when we didn’t realistically have much to play for, and the first game of the new season when fans arrive excited and nervous, not really knowing how good we or the opposition are.

I remember reading some research into this. Xerox back in the eighties did some research and it showed that if someone had a bad experience they would tell 40 people. If they had had a good experience they would tell 2. Bad news always motivates people. It's quite depressing really that people are like that in general.

Always in the rose tinted camp and happily so.

SZ is always more of a moan fest after a loss so I fully expected some harsh critiquing. Losing Sam Dalby so close to the season opener was always going to cause problems, especially when his replacement went off injured so early. Let's hope it can be quickly sorted out - oh for the magic hands of Ben Clarkson!

@StanCollymore don't take that comment too badly, I think it was more of a throwaway one that you've been quiet over the summer - and why, not? You do have a life to lead and you do have family and are entitled to holidays the same as everyone else. You also don't need to be at RH chasing contacts!

Yeah, well, where would the fun be in ranting and raving about a win eh, eh? Give me a good defeat that I can get my teeth into any day. @BoyWonder2 out for being sensible!!!!

I’d be more concerned if there wasn’t negativity following that harsh reality check on Saturday to be honest.

Also for those moaning about people moaning (ironic really) bear in mind people will naturally have more to say on the negative moments because that’s where we learn the most about the team we have.

We learn nothing from them turning up looking the part against the division’s cannon fodder, whoever that may be this year.

Boreham and the like are the better teams we have to beat to stand a chance of getting out this ****hole and we came up scarily short. Score was 1-0 but apart from Harry Taylor and Hobson I don’t think anyone won their 1-on-1 battles.

Last edited:
In general you’re absolutely right. In fairness though, there was always going to be a difference between a tail end of the season game when we didn’t realistically have much to play for, and the first game of the new season when fans arrive excited and nervous, not really knowing how good we or the opposition are.

Well there was 234 posts in the Kings Lynn season opener last year.

Every thread after a defeat picks up more than a victory. Certain posters only come out after a defeat too, or a mistake by certain players.

It’s a sad state of affairs, but isn’t exclusive to SZ or just Southend United in general. There were more tweets in the aftermath of losing the Euro final to Italy, rather than our semi-final victory over Denmark.

It seems, as a nation, we prefer our glass to be half empty as opposed to half full, which is a shame.

Every thread after a defeat picks up more than a victory. Certain posters only come out after a defeat too, or a mistake by certain players.

It’s a sad state of affairs, but isn’t exclusive to SZ or just Southend United in general. There were more tweets in the aftermath of losing the Euro final to Italy, rather than our semi-final victory over Denmark.

It seems, as a nation, we prefer our glass to be half empty as opposed to half full, which is a shame.

Bromley at home, in front of over 8000 of us, in the midst of our terrific run with the play offs still an outside possibility, 155 posts

Oh agreed. There’s lots of facets to this - the Xerox quote was a good one and clearly seems to be absolutely true. Not a massive surprise I guess as we all know from our work that we are 1000 times more likely to hear about it when we mess up than when we do something right (‘that’s just doing your job’ 🙄).

Up to a point though I guess, when **** drags on over time, otherwise ShrimperZone would have been one of the most commented on websites of any kind during the Sol and MM eras! :Smile:

"Look at Mr Collymore, very quiet over summer then rocks up like nothing going on yesterday ".

Really not sure what that's supposed to mean? Do you want me to take the mic and sing? Chat to all 5600 supporters individually and tell them everything that I know about the club's business?

Or like every other game I attend, should I chat to opposition guests, sponsors, Kev and the staff, groundsman to see if there's anything i can help with, likewise catering, media and other staff? In other words bring people together as I promised to do?

My remit is not HR, or people leaving the club. That's the CEO and owner who employ them. I have zero remit or power to make one decision at the club. I advise, create a strategy and try to persuade others that things I advise on, work.

I come up with and try to get through good ideas across media, commercial, recruitment and supporters meetings once a month. The latter I have made myself available every month since last November but only one happened. You'll have to ask senior admin why others haven't happened as they sign off on then, but I'm available every month.

Look how many new sponsors are on board with several more to follow. Do you know what I spent several days a week every week through summer doing? Emailing and calling businesses and posting on networking sites to see if they'll join us, then passing details on to commercial to get deals done. One guy was ready to chuck his 30 year season ticket in the bin, but instead sponsored us. Ask him why. I believe he's a SZ regular.

Recruitment? A steady stream of QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE names to constantly update the target list to take the place of those we couldn't get across the line. Read my earlier post about how many clubs, and which clubs I've been in direct contact with across the summer. Along with John Still ( taking a holiday at the moment, are you going to dig him out for not being at Roots Hall on Saturday? ) and the coaches, and scouts the names we put to the CEO and chairman have been FIRST CLASS in this division, but they sign off and Kev decides ultimately who he wants, so i won't be criticised for frankly helping administer a recruitment department that's more professional than this club arguably have ever had and will pay dividends if people are patient rather than throwing toys out of the prams after one match.

Let's turn to media. Ive got one of the country's best cameramen/directors to make a nice club video to sell to sponsors and for Supporters to be get behind. Cost normally? 25-30k. Cost to us ? Zero, he's offering to do it as a favour. You may have also noticed media output is sharper, more regular, more insightful. Who do you think advises and offers ideas for that?

I met the owner last week in London to give him my candid ( as candid as I am to you ) opinion on a number of things across media, recruitment, commercial and supporters, and he and Tom both received a full match précis by 8pm on Saturday night along with a list for Tom of things I'd like to push forward with, as my job is STRATEGY, not signing off on commercial deals, not hiring anyone, not deciding which players come in or leave, not deciding what the media department do and not forcing supporters to meet every month, all of those things I advise on but ultimately others decide to do them or not.

I keep hearing snipes about my contacts book. That contacts book is tangibly bringing in sponsors, players, publicity ( 2 page spread on Southend in the Daily Mail in the hope that the club's good work gets noticed ) , engages with sponsors home and away, and most importantly tries get us anything and everything for free or at little cost. That may be asking a club to waive a potential loan fee or as above getting a media pro to give us free content, saving previous resources to be able to target elsewhere. Every part of my remit is working well bar monthly supporters meetings, and one last time I'll say, I'm available every single month to fill everyone in person who turns up as to what we are trying to do.

But you should all know me we enough by now, in this post and over the last 20 odd years, I won't be mocked for working hard through the summer but be mocked for daring to turn up we Roots Hall against Borehamwood and watch the game from the Directors box as i always do. Next time i'll bring a tray, some popcorn and coke just so one or two can see I'm working.

I get the frustration, people don't like losing matches and especially on matchday one where enthusiasm is at its highest. But to start complaining about someone who's role at the club has helped and is helping bring in some common sense, accountability, professionalism, passion and pride for the club is mean spirited and uncalled for.

The supporters meetings will be where I talk directly to you all, with occasional posts like this when one or two go beyond legitimate questions and in my opinion add unnecessary toxicity to the best Football forum anywhere. Many of you said you don't want a running commentary so running commentary is off the menu. But don't think for a minute that I won't respond to anything that goes over the line because as I say to every single person at the club, I'm here because i want to help a club that means a lot to me not because I need to be.

I've worked hard through the summer for Southend United, please respect that.

Stan
Saw you Saturday in the car park and thanked you for everything you are doing. Please try to ignore the dickheads on this site. So many of poster’s really do appreciate your work. I do not class catholic blue boy in that category though

Last edited:
I’d be more concerned if there wasn’t negativity following that harsh reality check on Saturday to be honest.

Also for those moaning about people moaning (ironic really) bear in mind people will naturally have more to say on the negative moments because that’s where we learn the most about the team we have.

We learn nothing from them turning up looking the part against the division’s cannon fodder, Boreham are the teams we have to beat to stand a chance of getting out this ****hole and we came up scarily short.

Boreham Wood are certainly not cannon fodder. You are always playing a team, not a club name or how many fans they have.

When we played them away last season i think they were top with a really mean defence That why we never managed one shot on target and they had two good cup runs. Would have probably at least made the play off final if not for injuries.

People should save their anger until we have lost at Solihull and Halifax Two other unfashionable clubs who are better than us.

Saw you Saturday in the car park and thanked you for everything you are doing. Please try to ignore the dickheads on this site. So many of poster’s really do appreciate your work
Absolutely this. Although I would in this one instance say that I don’t think the post that Stan replied to fits into that category at all. There are loads of baiters and idiots though, and the best thing most Zoners can do with them is ignore them unless you’re a mod in which case we’re stuck reading them all :Frustrated:

Back