• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't hit me with those negative waves so early

I'm not sure I get it. We were worth a point. Their keeper had more work to do. Haven't seen detailed stats but we must have had more possession, corners and shots on and off target.

We didn't play great but we're still unlucky to lose against a side that will likely be in the mix this season. It's like people are focusing on the disappointing first half and totally ignoring the improved 2nd half.

Boreham Wood are certainly not cannon fodder. You are always playing a team, not a club name or how many fans they have.

When we played them away last season i think they were top with a really mean defence That why we never managed one shot on target and they had two good cup runs. Would have probably at least made the play off final if not for injuries.

People should save their anger until we have lost at Solihull and Halifax Two other unfashionable clubs who are better than us.
Sorry might have looked like I was calling them that due to the way I wrote it, I was referencing some of the lesser clubs we might encounter this season that we should beat easily. We don’t know who they’ll be yet so I haven’t name dropped.

I consider Boreham to be a real measure of where we are because they’ll be near the top again this year. We hardly laid a glove on them and that concerns me.

Sorry might have looked like I was calling them that due to the way I wrote it, I was referencing some of the lesser clubs we might encounter this season that we should beat easily. We don’t know who they’ll be yet so I haven’t name dropped.

I consider Boreham to be a real measure of where we are because they’ll be near the top again this year. We hardly laid a glove on them and that concerns me.
Maybe an early wake up call was needed? You know, to put a positive spin on things. The new signings like Mooney and Taylor need time to gel and we’ve a few to come back in. We also will find a way of playing that’ll suit all.

But we really, really need to practice set pieces, long shots and getting the ball into the box! (Sorry!)

In fairness to hlane17 in post 32 above he was not, I would suggest, calling BW cannon fodder. Rather, he was actually highlighting them as one of the teams to beat.
All how you interpret it, I’ve changed the wording now!

Maybe an early wake up call was needed? You know, to put a positive spin on things. The new signings like Mooney and Taylor need time to gel and we’ve a few to come back in. We also will find a way of playing that’ll suit all.

But we really, really need to practice set pieces, long shots and getting the ball into the box! (Sorry!)
I actually thought Taylor was MoM in a position he has probably hardly ever played before. Mooney though did look lost and stayed too wide never really got a sight of goal

We need to practice just about everything before Solihull 😂

I’d be more concerned if there wasn’t negativity following that harsh reality check on Saturday to be honest.

Also for those moaning about people moaning (ironic really) bear in mind people will naturally have more to say on the negative moments because that’s where we learn the most about the team we have.

We learn nothing from them turning up looking the part against the division’s cannon fodder, whoever that may be this year.

Boreham and the like are the better teams we have to beat to stand a chance of getting out this ****hole and we came up scarily short. Score was 1-0 but apart from Harry Taylor and Hobson I don’t think anyone won their 1-on-1 battles.
Nothing wrong with negativity, especially if it's deserved. Similarly there is nothing wrong with being optimistic. It seems to me it's the way the message gets put out there that causes ruffled feathers. A guy who I had great respect for during my working days always told me to put myself at the other end of my message and then ask myself how I would feel receiving it. That does help sometimes.

Fans moaning at Stan should hang their heads in shame. You only have to have an ounce of common sense to see he is only trying to help the club,

His passion and enthusiasm to help this club is clear to see. I honestly dread to think where we would be now if Stan didn’t come on board.

Don’t forget it was Stan who introduced Ron to our CEO Tom (who I think is doing a great job under very difficult circumstances) it was Stan who has helped added some much needed structure to the club. It was Stan who was involved in bringing our management team to the club.

He’s been out scouting most weeks and trying to repair the awful reputation our club has sustained over the past few years so for some fans to mock one of our greatest ever players who has come back to try and help the club is disgusting.

Thanks for all your hard work Stan, ignore the 1% of idiots who haven’t got a clue what they are talking about!

I'm not sure I get it. We were worth a point. Their keeper had more work to do. Haven't seen detailed stats but we must have had more possession, corners and shots on and off target.

We didn't play great but we're still unlucky to lose against a side that will likely be in the mix this season. It's like people are focusing on the disappointing first half and totally ignoring the improved 2nd half.
Yes their keeper was the busier but ultimately you don’t win games if you don’t score goals. This was the issue last season and after the evidence of Saturday I see nothing to suggest that has improved.

It is also worth remembering that this is a public forum, not a private pub chat. You should assume that any individual called out for not being good enough or deliberately getting injured will read what you post. Okay quite often they won't, but they might. Stan perfectly demonstrated this, and whilst he is able to stand up for himself here, many players wouldn't.

Very few people are resilient enough to take constant criticism (rarely constructive) and take that as motivation to improve and try harder. As mentioned, imagine you are on the receiving end of your post and consider whether that would have a positive effect on you.

Fine riposte @StanCollymore. As has been pointed out, some posters turn up like bad pennies any time there's a setback, moaning, sniping, insinuating. Who knows what motivates them? When things are going well, there's no sign of them. They're like the two cynical old guys in the Muppets, minus the wit and wisdom. Genuine supporters can see the pivotal role you've played in getting the club back on track and the work you put in. Likewise, they can see the turn around on the pitch in terms of the quality of the players and the coaching they receive. It's the same on SZ as at the Hall; the Blue Voice drowns out the tiny minority of boo-boys.

How many of the moaners did their bit on Saturday to help the team?

Roots Hall has become riddled with apathy, our support has forgotten what it's like to help create a winning environment. The atmosphere went so flat once Hyde went off. It took until the 70th minute for the crowd to finally wake up and vocally pressure the referee on Borehamwood's timewasting and overly physical tactics. It needed to happen from minute one when it was obvious, or at least from 0-1 down where it became even more apparent.

Ndlovu could've been sent off for the first tackle with a bigger crowd reaction. There was more noise from the home fans when Hobson hit a long ball out of play. We need to start doing our bit.

We have more numbers than most clubs in this league and we need to be more vocal, more partisan and a bit more heated with opposition players and officials to help the players. We'll be in this league until we start winning 15+ games at home.

Yes their keeper was the busier but ultimately you don’t win games if you don’t score goals. This was the issue last season and after the evidence of Saturday I see nothing to suggest that has improved.

Cardwell and Murphy were sitting in the stand. Dennis is at MK and Dalby sold to Wrexham His replacement went off within 10 minutes. So we had to bring on our 6th choice forward, to make his home debut after stepping up a couple of levels…. How much of an improvement was you expecting?

That’s before Wood used every trick including deliberate elbows to win the game.

I am pleased that my post has generated good honest discussion and comments. I have, nor will I ever have, a problem with constructive observations and those who shout out clear and loud when they feel something is not right, been there, done that and no doubt will again. As I said before, with what we have endured who can blame us. No my gripe is with those who derive more pleasure from a negative post than a Blues win, ie negativity for negativity sake! I agree their in the minority but their there, although absence from contributing on this thread to date. 😉 Football is all about opinions, from who should be playing, what tactics, liking the new kit to what we would like to do to the ownership 🚕. Long may that wonderful part of being a supporter continue, Up the Blues ⚽

Maybe being away from home will be a positive thing for us in the next few games.

As others have said, fans were so quick to shout out negative comments on Saturday but seemed to lack the energy to chant, sing or applaud when we got a corner or attacked the final 3rd.

All this nonsense about us not creating more chances is just ridiculous. Yes, we would all love to create more but what gives us the right to simply just do it with ease?

Boreham Wood finished above us and probably would have got into the playoffs comfortably had it not been for their cup run. We all thought we might go down last season but somehow believe we should have created a hatful of chances against a side who finished above us and have their own promotion ambitions this year. Crazy! They had one shot on goal and scored. We created a great chance with Wreh and the keeper saved it. Those are the margins. In the two games against them last year, there were hardly any chances for either team in both.

This is nearly a brand new team, I think people are forgetting that. Only Arnie, Hobson, Ralph and maybe Clifford were main stays last season. Even Bridge was missing for a long period. The entire midfield is new as are the strikers. Powell was a bit part player last year too. It will take time for this team to gel. Lomas and the right back haven't even played yet.

Next week, we play a very strong team who are basically the same successful team they had last season. They will be top 3 or 4 easily. If we lose there, we can't have a meltdown. We need to back the process for the long haul. It will get better I have no doubt.

Cardwell and Murphy were sitting in the stand. Dennis is at MK and Dalby sold to Wrexham His replacement went off within 10 minutes. So we had to bring on our 6th choice forward, to make his home debut after stepping up a couple of levels…. How much of an improvement was you expecting?

That’s before Wood used every trick including deliberate elbows to win the game.
The club have known all summer Murphy and Cardwell wouldn’t be fit for the start of the season, Dennis signed for MK early in the summer and the club was also aware of the Wrexham interest in Dalby very early on in the summer so knew there was every chance they would lose him before the season starts.

So who have we replaced them with, Wreh who yes shows a lot of promise but can’t be expected to go up 2 divisions and hit the ground running straight away and Hyke, a guy who’s played 2 lots of 45 minutes in pre season and had a terrible injury record already.

As I said we knew the issues we had scoring goals last season but that hasn’t been addressed.

I know they have tried to get some decent forwards in but have failed because of our reputation so don’t lay the blame with the recruitment department but with one man, our owner! Until he’s gone things won’t change!!

"Look at Mr Collymore, very quiet over summer then rocks up like nothing going on yesterday ".

Really not sure what that's supposed to mean? Do you want me to take the mic and sing? Chat to all 5600 supporters individually and tell them everything that I know about the club's business?

Or like every other game I attend, should I chat to opposition guests, sponsors, Kev and the staff, groundsman to see if there's anything i can help with, likewise catering, media and other staff? In other words bring people together as I promised to do?

My remit is not HR, or people leaving the club. That's the CEO and owner who employ them. I have zero remit or power to make one decision at the club. I advise, create a strategy and try to persuade others that things I advise on, work.

I come up with and try to get through good ideas across media, commercial, recruitment and supporters meetings once a month. The latter I have made myself available every month since last November but only one happened. You'll have to ask senior admin why others haven't happened as they sign off on then, but I'm available every month.

Look how many new sponsors are on board with several more to follow. Do you know what I spent several days a week every week through summer doing? Emailing and calling businesses and posting on networking sites to see if they'll join us, then passing details on to commercial to get deals done. One guy was ready to chuck his 30 year season ticket in the bin, but instead sponsored us. Ask him why. I believe he's a SZ regular.

Recruitment? A steady stream of QUALITY AND AFFORDABLE names to constantly update the target list to take the place of those we couldn't get across the line. Read my earlier post about how many clubs, and which clubs I've been in direct contact with across the summer. Along with John Still ( taking a holiday at the moment, are you going to dig him out for not being at Roots Hall on Saturday? ) and the coaches, and scouts the names we put to the CEO and chairman have been FIRST CLASS in this division, but they sign off and Kev decides ultimately who he wants, so i won't be criticised for frankly helping administer a recruitment department that's more professional than this club arguably have ever had and will pay dividends if people are patient rather than throwing toys out of the prams after one match.

Let's turn to media. Ive got one of the country's best cameramen/directors to make a nice club video to sell to sponsors and for Supporters to be get behind. Cost normally? 25-30k. Cost to us ? Zero, he's offering to do it as a favour. You may have also noticed media output is sharper, more regular, more insightful. Who do you think advises and offers ideas for that?

I met the owner last week in London to give him my candid ( as candid as I am to you ) opinion on a number of things across media, recruitment, commercial and supporters, and he and Tom both received a full match précis by 8pm on Saturday night along with a list for Tom of things I'd like to push forward with, as my job is STRATEGY, not signing off on commercial deals, not hiring anyone, not deciding which players come in or leave, not deciding what the media department do and not forcing supporters to meet every month, all of those things I advise on but ultimately others decide to do them or not.

I keep hearing snipes about my contacts book. That contacts book is tangibly bringing in sponsors, players, publicity ( 2 page spread on Southend in the Daily Mail in the hope that the club's good work gets noticed ) , engages with sponsors home and away, and most importantly tries get us anything and everything for free or at little cost. That may be asking a club to waive a potential loan fee or as above getting a media pro to give us free content, saving previous resources to be able to target elsewhere. Every part of my remit is working well bar monthly supporters meetings, and one last time I'll say, I'm available every single month to fill everyone in person who turns up as to what we are trying to do.

But you should all know me we enough by now, in this post and over the last 20 odd years, I won't be mocked for working hard through the summer but be mocked for daring to turn up we Roots Hall against Borehamwood and watch the game from the Directors box as i always do. Next time i'll bring a tray, some popcorn and coke just so one or two can see I'm working.

I get the frustration, people don't like losing matches and especially on matchday one where enthusiasm is at its highest. But to start complaining about someone who's role at the club has helped and is helping bring in some common sense, accountability, professionalism, passion and pride for the club is mean spirited and uncalled for.

The supporters meetings will be where I talk directly to you all, with occasional posts like this when one or two go beyond legitimate questions and in my opinion add unnecessary toxicity to the best Football forum anywhere. Many of you said you don't want a running commentary so running commentary is off the menu. But don't think for a minute that I won't respond to anything that goes over the line because as I say to every single person at the club, I'm here because i want to help a club that means a lot to me not because I need to be.

I've worked hard through the summer for Southend United, please respect that.

Stan
Thanks Stan for the reply like oldbluelady said it was not a dig at you personally sorry if it came across that way, but only to say you had been very vocal end of season and quite over the summer that was all. I and many others have met you and see the passion you have for our club and thank you for everything you do.

I believe we all want the best for Southend and that's what I was trying to say and not let's be so negative.

Thanks for the update

It's also worth remembering 4 of the outfield players were making their debuts, it takes time to get players on the same wavelength (we saw it a couple of times Saturday where a player would play a through ball only to realise their teammate had stopped his run), obviously there are exceptions like Freddy but in general it takes time for new players to bed in.

I saw Negative Waves supporting Joy Vibes downstairs at Saks in 1990.

Last edited:
Back