• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Draw and general discussion

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Ladies and gentlemen,

too long have we confined our 'battles' to The Pub. Now it is time for a Southend United battle.

To that end, it's time to kick off the 'Battle of the Kits'.

Over the next few weeks, every home kit worn by The Shrimpers since 1906 will be up for selection until we decide on the best home kit ever worn by the mighty SUFC.

All kits will be based on those listed here - historical Southend kits - and one off kits such as the ones worn in the LDV Vans Finals shall not be included.

Obviously, as opposed to other battles, we have a finite number of selections and as such there will be no nominations for this battle. However, we do have a problem in that the number of kits does not easily lend itself to a knockout format. So, I will do a preliminary round whereby a number of kits will be chosen at random so that we end up with a final 32. From thereon, it will be the usual knockout that we all know and love.

It should be noted that this battle is about the aesthetic nature of the kit; it doesn't matter if we were mince when we wore it. So, even though the 'custard splat' kit saw us twice relegated, vote for it if you think it's smarter than, say, the 1980/81 Division Four championship shirt.

If there is a tie, I will hold the casting vote based on the arguments posted in the thread.

One other note - kits that are the same bar the sponsor - e.g. 85/86 and 86/87 - will be counted as one.

Preliminary round to start on Sunday...

My personal top 3 (since I've been a Blues fan)
1) 1991-92. Hi-Tec shirt.
2) 2006-07. Centenary shirt.
3) 1996-1998. The Splat - for sheer outlandishness.

Great 'Battle' Uxbridge, can't help thinking having nominations would make it more interesting though. Away shirt battle?

My personal top 3 (since I've been a Blues fan)
1) 1991-92. Hi-Tec shirt.
2) 2006-07. Centenary shirt.
3) 1996-1998. The Splat - for sheer outlandishness.

Great 'Battle' Uxbridge, can't help thinking having nominations would make it more interesting though. Away shirt battle?

Maybe for the aways as there are so many more to go for. Although we do have the problem of visual evidence. I tried to find an online pic of our 90/91 shirt for the editors of that historic football kits site and failed miserably...

It should be noted that this battle is about the aesthetic nature of the kit; it doesn't matter if we were mince when we wore it. So, even though the 'custard splat' kit saw us twice relegated, vote for it if you think it's smarter than, say, the 1980/81 Division Four championship shirt.

I find the fact we could end up discussing whether the piping was to thick or thin quite amusing.

I want that one

picture.php

76/77 season - great kit (check out the South Bank in the background! Oh, and Neil Townsend's thighs!).

I want that one

picture.php

76/77 season - great kit (check out the South Bank in the background! Oh, and Neil Townsend's thighs!).

That is a cracking shirt. If SUFC - or a company such as TOFFS - brought that out, I would be at the front of the queue.

That is a cracking shirt. If SUFC - or a company such as TOFFS - brought that out, I would be at the front of the queue.

Think Glasgow said pretty much the same last time I put that pic up somewhere - you obviously have good taste! However, I know your record in these here competitions........:'(

Oh, and that's Stuart Parker for anyone too young to know and as far as I know, that's the first ever Meet the Blues day. The scarves that year reflected the new strip, with blocks of blue with a thick white stripe and red down the middle as I seem to recall.

Last edited:
Think Glasgow said pretty much the same last time I put that pic up somewhere - you obviously have good taste! However, I know your record in these here competitions........:'(

Oh, and that's Stuart Parker for anyone too young to know and as far as I know, that's the first ever Meet the Blues day. The scarves that year reflected the new strip, with blocks of blue with a thick white stripe and red down the middle as I seem to recall.

Who's the bloke to his left Kay? ;)

Worry not, as there are no nominations in this comp, I can only curse a kit with my vote!

This one has got a great shout of going far, although the prelims will be a tough first hurdle. To explain....

As far as I can discern, we have 41 different home shirts. So, to get it down to 32, 12 shall be picked at random. They will in turn be put in to three groups of four. The winner of each of those groups will go in to the main draw with the remaining 29, leaving us with a neat 32.

Who's the bloke to his left Kay? ;)

Great pic Kay...The guy in the background with the baldish head is Harry's son....My god you have straight hair......I quite like the modern shirts.
southendawaygirls.jpg

Damn you have click on it to see it...:(

Custard splat kit for me! Love it!

If thats gone, will have to be the LDV silver number ;)

85-86 Laing for me please

Your enthusiasm is only matched by your failure to read the rules.... There are no nominations for this battle.... And special "one off" shirts (eg the LDV) are excluded.

:thump:

If there were nominations, the Betterview shirt would be mine and the clear winner!

Back