• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Emile Acquah

As a 20-year-old, and a career headed towards non-league, Freddy scored 7.7 seconds into his debut and went on to add another 23.
As said, it's interesting that a player becomes better at another club.
We all saw a lot of Emile in that 20-21 season, and in truth he couldn't trap a bag of cement. I'm not sure tactics has anything to do with that. Three goals in 31 appearances says much, one of those deflected in at Walsall, remember?
Glad it's working out for him now, but interested in what you think is his style of play?

35 or was it 36 goals for Grays the previous season and at least 6 league clubs after him.

If there is a thread on players who did well at their previous club but even better for us then Freddy might be good example.

As for Emile others have already made good points. Apart from 90% of target men mature later than those with pace or fox in the box type lads. I'll add MM had him as completely isolated target man who was trying to back into people as there was no point flicking it on to no one......Many fans moaned why he wouldn't jump. I moaned why we were hitting such pointless high balls up to him every week......With the same outcome.

By the why fun fact...For the academy Aquah had a better goals per game record than Kelman

35 or was it 36 goals for Grays the previous season and at least 6 league clubs after him.

If there is a thread on players who did well at their previous club but even better for us then Freddy might be good example.

As for Emile others have already made good points. Apart from 90% of target men mature later than those with pace or fox in the box type lads. I'll add MM had him as completely isolated target man who was trying to back into people as there was no point flicking it on to no one......Many fans moaned why he wouldn't jump. I moaned why we were hitting such pointless high balls up to him every week......With the same outcome.

By the why fun fact...For the academy Aquah had a better goals per game record than Kelman
Well put.
But it makes me wonder why he didn't jump? And surely not because there was no one to receive?
I think the edge from beating your marker in the air has something going for it and I'm guessing the ball to feet option was quickly binnned.
Whichever way you slice it, close control was not his forté.
I wonder if Barrow fans think the same?

Well put.
But it makes me wonder why he didn't jump? And surely not because there was no one to receive?
I think the edge from beating your marker in the air has something going for it and I'm guessing the ball to feet option was quickly binnned.
It's a myth he didnt jump.

Well put.

Yes that was certainly not good. I watched him in a couple of academy games and even with his size he was protected by the almost non contact from behind rules they played under. Totally different when someone's grabbing your shirt, arm over your shoulder, nudging you as the ball comes in and the refs don't give you much when your bottom of the table and the whole club looks like they can be bullied.

Looking at yesterdays highlights, the 4th goal is good example of of Harry C doing enough in the air. If he had won it it would have gone nowhere but it spins off the defenders head sideways to Kanu....Who does have lovely touch and sets up the move for his hat trick goal.

Also note Kanu's excellent movement on the cross. Just like the first goal he creates maximum space behind the defender and makes the header look easy but he bought those easy finishing touches with alert and clever movement...Others would have been stretching and it would have been yet another nearly moment.

...one of which was to call us 'Southampton' at a post-match interview.
Where did you play your football, Sol? Oh, that's right: the Prem. I realise you had to slum it with us for a while, but I suppose Ron's generous offer made things easier, eh?

He wasn’t the only Southend United manager to get the name of us wrong when asked, but Sol gets hammered for it.

It still surprises how a player can be poor at one club, and yet thrive at another.
We took a no-hoper at Crystal Palace and turned him into a star!
I guess it needs a while to find your feet - not that Acquah ever did with Blues.
Devonshire at Maidenhead certainly spotted Acquah's potential as a striker...

It always surprises me, the lack of consideration given to players who may be young, inexperienced, at clubs in bad situations, at various stages of their career etc etc etc

There’s always a bigger picture and lots of external factors to consider.

I have to qualify that and say that a) it’s not by everyone. It’s often just a smaller part of any fanbase at any club b) often the criticism at that moment is often justified in its observation if not it’s timing.

But it’s more often than not just not made with due consideration given to the whole story.

Players like Nathen Bishop, Emile, Isaac, Charlie, Lewis Gard, Richard Taylor, Miles MN, Tyrell….even players like Rene Batlowka and Michael Klass were all placed in a very very bad situation that was ever worsening, probably way ahead of their time.

For some (Nathen, Isaac / Charlie / Emile) they were fortunate that it looks like any damage done was at best not terminal and at least they’ve managed to succeed to a degree in spite of…..

But for others like Tyrell, MMN, Rene, Michael it may have been a major contributing factor to a short pro career…..we may never know.

What is certain though is although some of the criticism of some of these players may have been, at the time, seemed perfectly justifiable, it was probably ill-judged in respect of what was fair.

Isaac was flimsy. He was (and still is) inconsistent, he was (and still is 🤣) poor in the air but it’s all a work in progress. He was trying to play Centre midfield in a league 1 team where we spent most of the game being overrun. He was 19 and about 11 stone. The very attributes he needed were the exact same attributes he was desperately needing nature to help him with. He didnt possess the game knowledge or the physicality to do what most fans wanted from him. The criticism was fair….the timing of it wasn’t. Technically he was good enough. Physically he wasn’t. Athletically he was good enough, mentally he wasn’t.

It’s the same for Emile. Emile’s problem was that physically he was ready and so to the naked eye it was frustrating for fans because it seemed so easy to at least “put yourself about a bit”. However mentally he had no idea how to use his physicality to his advantage. Also, technically he wasn’t ready and he was unable to do things that he now can.

These players were being asked to be men. To be leaders. But they were in teams that had little or no guidance alongside them….and for long spells at the helm…and they were finding it very very hard.

Add to that the off field issues that no player let alone young players should have to experience.

I make no apologies for it and I’m being completely honest, my genuine belief is, that Isaac is only just recovering from some mental scars that have affected his development as a player…..in some ways it’s helped him and made him resilient and experienced but also my feeling is there was some deep rooted “imposter syndrome” (also not helped by experienced elsewhere btw)

For Emile, I feel he’s coming into a period of his career where his technical and mental abilities are starting to align with his physical ones. As with Isaac I’m sure some of the experiences have helped shape him and make him what he is, whereas other experiences will have hindered him and been hard to shake off.

It is what it is. Who knows how you’re shaped without those bumps in the road….in another lifetime a sliding door moment makes Rene and Michael pro footballers and Isaac and Emile playing local non league…..who knows?

I’m pleased for Emile. I’m pleased for any player who shows the required level of resilience, determination and dedication to overcome adversity and make a success in anything they decide to do.

These lads were just kids. Literally kids. Their mates were getting p!ssed down the park and trying to earn enough money for a night out and hopefully a bit of fun with a local girl come closing time, at the same time they were getting pelters for trying to do a job they weren’t ready to do, in front of 5000 people 🤣

It makes some it breaks others….and don’t get me wrong there are and were many up sides and they experienced many things most of us can only dream of…..but I’ll always maintain it’s probably more likely in spite of rather than because of…
Good post, I enjoyed reading this. But I can’t help but feel you’re kind of blaming Southend supporters here when again ultimately the whole problem in those years was down to Ron, embargoes, managerial appointments and so on. Plenty of us supported Isaac, Emile, and Terrell because we could see the situation for what it was. It’s great to see these players thriving elsewhere. The season that you’re really referring to in relation to Emile is 20/21 when, let’s remember, there were only two games where home fans were allowed in and we won both of those games to great delight. The season before was hideous, due to Ron’s appointment of Bond and then after a hiatus, Sol. And another embargo. Supporters were understandably not in the best frame of mind due to the wilful destruction of our club. It was bad management from the top down. Although there are always a few online idiots, probably as young as the players they were criticising, as a fan base we didn’t overly criticise the young kids. It was the old spongers like Keirnan or the **** takers like Lennon who were the objects of our ire. You only have to look at our crowds now and the connection between supporters and players to see that that we are actually a pretty genuine bunch who are very willing to support young players.

Last edited:
Good post, I enjoyed reading this. But I can’t help but feel you’re kind of blaming Southend supporters here when again ultimately the whole problem in those years was down to Ron, embargoes, managerial appointments and so on. Plenty of us supported Isaac, Emile, and Terrell because we could see the situation for what it was. It’s great to see these players thriving elsewhere. The season that you’re really referring to in relation to Emile is 20/21 when, let’s remember, there were only two games where home fans were allowed in and we won both of those games to great delight. The season before was hideous, due to Ron’s appointment of Bond and then after a hiatus, Sol. And another embargo. Supporters were understandably not in the best frame of mind due to the wilful destruction of our club. It was bad management from the top down. Although there are always a few online idiots, probably as young as the players they were criticising, as a fan base we didn’t overly criticise the young kids. It was the old spongers like Keirnan or the **** takers like Lennon who were the objects of our ire. You only have to look at our crowds now and the connection between supporters and players to see that that we are actually a pretty genuine bunch who are very willing to support young players.
You may have misinterpreted some of what I’ve said here….

I hope id had made it clear that criticism, if any was often only by a minority and actually a lot of the time it’s accurate but maybe with not enough understanding of the situation of the players stage of development to realise it was sometimes unfair to have expected what they expected….

It certainly wasn’t meant to be aimed at fans or even any blame attached to them. What I meant was the situation as a whole ie Ron, the club, the managers, some of the players…..and a tiny minority of fans….probably made life very difficult to some of the young players, who were in no way ready or equipped to be able to deal with it.

Hopefully that came across and honestly it wasn’t meant to attribute blame on any one thing at all least of all fans of the club who continue to prove beyond any doubt their credibility…..week after week after week.

Criticism of players will always be part and parcel so if anything it was just an observation that many of these lads at the time were in a situation in the club as a whole, they just weren’t ready for….some of them have gone on in spite of…some of them were possibly set back too far to recover from.

That’s definitely not fans fault (although one or two have a bit to answer for 😜) more a cumulative effect of them (the players) being in the wrong place at the wrong time, a time when the football club in general was starting to spiral….

Apologies if it didn’t come across that way initially….

🤝

You may have misinterpreted some of what I’ve said here….

I hope id had made it clear that criticism, if any was often only by a minority and actually a lot of the time it’s accurate but maybe with not enough understanding of the situation of the players stage of development to realise it was sometimes unfair to have expected what they expected….

It certainly wasn’t meant to be aimed at fans or even any blame attached to them. What I meant was the situation as a whole ie Ron, the club, the managers, some of the players…..and a tiny minority of fans….probably made life very difficult to some of the young players, who were in no way ready or equipped to be able to deal with it.

Hopefully that came across and honestly it wasn’t meant to attribute blame on any one thing at all least of all fans of the club who continue to prove beyond any doubt their credibility…..week after week after week.

Criticism of players will always be part and parcel so if anything it was just an observation that many of these lads at the time were in a situation in the club as a whole, they just weren’t ready for….some of them have gone on in spite of…some of them were possibly set back too far to recover from.

That’s definitely not fans fault (although one or two have a bit to answer for 😜) more a cumulative effect of them (the players) being in the wrong place at the wrong time, a time when the football club in general was starting to spiral….

Apologies if it didn’t come across that way initially….

🤝
Cheers - and I 100% agree it must have been very, very hard for the youngsters who played for us through that time. As you say, many will still bear the scars. For that reason, I always like to keep tabs on the progress of the young uns from that period. Wish them all well.

I'd be interested to see where our youngsters from 20/21 are now playing, at the time when we got relegated into L2 the general feeling was that the players would have been good enough to stay up.

Now it seems that most werent good enough to be professionals.

As for Emile, I still remember him picking up the ball, turning and smashing the bar against Oldham, that moment showed he had something but needed time to develop out of the spotlight.

Perhaps worth bearing in mind, we are a big club with a passionate fanbase, young players need gentle introductions rather than being dropped in at the deep end.

I'd be interested to see where our youngsters from 20/21 are now playing, at the time when we got relegated into L2 the general feeling was that the players would have been good enough to stay up.

As for Emile, I still remember him picking up the ball, turning and smashing the bar against Oldham, that moment showed he had something but needed time to develop out of the spotlight.

Perhaps worth bearing in mind, we are a big club with a passionate fanbase, young players need gentle introductions rather than being dropped in at the deep end.
I think more might have been with a different start to their careers.

@Napster one for you 😉

I think any of us who saw him play would agree with you. Always seemed so out of his depth. But there you go, he's proved us all wrong. Fair play to the lad.
You might take comfort from thinking that everyone thought he was rubbish but as the start of this thread shows there were those who could see his potential. So don’t tar everyone with the same brush.

Eg
I know EA splits opinions like Brexit but I for one think he has real potential and we maybe would have been wiser to keep the lad on.

Hope he does well.

He`ll come back and bite us on the bum

This move could be the making of Emile, and I think it will.

Back