• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England Fans Back McClaren

BBC Sport said:
Fans have backed Steve McClaren to stay on as England coach and blamed the players for recent poor performances in a survey for the BBC's Inside Sport.

A total of 452 fans were questioned by telephone in England between Friday and Sunday, before, during and after Israel's Euro 2008 win over Russia.

And the results show that 50% think McClaren should stay on as manager regardless of whether England qualify.

Meanwhile, 37% of the respondents think he should go regardless.

The numbers hardly changed regardless of whether the interviews were done before or after the Israel match - before the match 49% said he should stay on, afterwards it was 51%.

Most fans point the finger at the players for England's troubles, 50% saying they are at fault compared to only 22% who blame the manager.

A further 16% say the FA should be held responsible.

Fans in the East Midlands emerge as McClaren's biggest supporters (69% backing him to stay), while those in the West Midlands are his biggest detractors (52% wanting him to go).

Israel's 2-1 victory revived England's hopes of qualifying for next summer's Euro 2008 finals, with McClaren's side just needing a draw against Croatia on Wednesday.

There is a margin of error + or - 5% in the results - telephone survey carried out by GFK NOP.

Surely, they've missed a zero out on that margin or error & it should read 50%?

This is utter madness!

There is a spring in the step of the English nation today. The skies
are grey and gloomy and the rain is lashing down across the entire
country, but, for millions of football fans, it might as well be
glorious sunshine. England are back in with a chance of qualification
for Euro 2008. Never underestimate how much that means to people over
here. Not qualifying for a major tournament is like being told you
can't go on holiday. It's like having your next-door neighbours host a
party with free champagne and a live band, but not getting an invite.

You would think then, that the grateful masses would be a little more
charitable to the man in charge of the team, but my word, that hasn't
been the case so far. If it was down to the newspapers or the fans,
Steve McClaren would be clearing his desk on Thursday morning,
regardless of the result against Croatia. Even the big broadsheet
newspapers have argued, quite reasonably, that McClaren had as much to
do with Dmitri Sychev hitting the post as you or I did and that the
small matter of Israel beating Russia has no bearing on previous
assessments of him as terrible, terrible manager.

Quite right too. But that doesn't mean he should be sacked.

I don't think I've left regular readers in any doubt as to what I
think of Second Choice Steve. I think that he's a poor judge of a
player, a woeful tactician and I suspect that his insistence on always
crowbarring in the glamour players is symptomatic of his inability to
deal with confrontation.

But, as all the smiling assassins in the media, myself included,
claimed last week, this is a results-based business. We were all quick
to point out that McClaren's sacking would be justified on the basis
that his minimum objective was to qualify for the tournament. We all
said that if he didn't achieve that then he had no right to expect to
stay. But the door swings both ways.

McClaren is inexplicably just one result away from justifying his
existence. In fact, if his team were to beat Croatia 2-0, England
would actually top the table. How can you sack a manager for doing
that? For all the talk of an easy group and mediocre opposition, when
you play every team home and away, you finish where you deserve to
finish. Loyalists would be quick to point out that a draw in Tel Aviv
doesn't look so bad now, in light of recent events.

My faith in McClaren is so low that I don't actually think England
will pick up even a single point on Wednesday, but if they do then he
deserves to lead his team out this summer. It's an intriguing
position, being honour-bound to support a man you have no confidence
in, but objectively, there is no other option. McClaren was asked to
qualify from the group and he is now just a single point away from
completing the task.

But there are two things to remember here. Firstly, England haven't
qualified for anything just yet. Croatia are a very good team and, as
Greece proved in 2001, even if you've got nothing to play for you can
still be a danger. Secondly, if he does pick up the point, he still
has to prove to himself again next summer. It will not be enough just
to turn up for the group stages.

McClaren has been given a golden ticket, a chance to redeem himself in
the eyes of the nation. As England manager, there's never a time to
rest on your laurels, particularly if you win them as fortunately as
he might do on Wednesday. England must not only qualify, but make a
serious challenge for summer silverware. McClaren has to sharpen up.
There'll be no Israeli goalscorers to save us in Switzerland.

Good reporting Slip ....you should think of taking it up for a living ..;)

Surely a survey of 452 people is not a big enough sample to make such declarations? :confused:

True, but that's the art of sampling & statistics!
The interesting ones I can take from that is how 50% of people blame the players & 16% blame the FA.

As people know on here, I'm in no way McClown's biggest fan, but that probably is right, it's a combination of those 3 factors which have left us in such a gloomy state (despite still being able to top the group with the right result tomorrow night, something whch seemed a million miles away last month!)

Surely a survey of 452 people is not a big enough sample to make such declarations? :confused:

I think that the 5% caveat at the bottom of the article explains this.

To anyone who reckons he should be sacked:

1) Who would you get in?
2) Would they want to come?

If the answer to 2) is no, go back to 1) otherwise continue to 3)

3) What has Allardyce done since going to Newcastle that Rodent didn't manage?
4) Are you sure we should pay him that much?

If the answer to 3) is a good job and 4) yes, we have bags of money because us stupid fans keep stumping up ÂŁ50 no matter how bad that friendly was, go to 5) otherwise go back to 1).

5) What do you expect even the best manager in the world to do in seven months without a competitive match to test players or formation in?

If the answer to 5) is "it doesn't matter, they'd still be better than McClaren" then I'm afraid you're a moron.

:) :) :)

I think that the 5% caveat at the bottom of the article explains this.

To anyone who reckons he should be sacked:

1) Who would you get in?
2) Would they want to come?

If the answer to 2) is no, go back to 1) otherwise continue to 3)

3) What has Allardyce done since going to Newcastle that Rodent didn't manage?
4) Are you sure we should pay him that much?

If the answer to 3) is a good job and 4) yes, we have bags of money because us stupid fans keep stumping up ÂŁ50 no matter how bad that friendly was, go to 5) otherwise go back to 1).

5) What do you expect even the best manager in the world to do in seven months without a competitive match to test players or formation in?

If the answer to 5) is "it doesn't matter, they'd still be better than McClaren" then I'm afraid you're a moron.

:) :) :)

It would seem, then, that the majority of sports journalists are morons... ;)

I haven't done statistics since my University days. What would make a good sample population?

I thought to be a viable statistic you'd need at least a 1% sample. If you said there were 5 million people who classified themselves as England fans then that'd be 5,000 people.

It would seem, then, that the majority of sports journalists are morons... ;)

Easy now ;)

Do I think McClaren should lead us in Austria next summer should we qualify? No.
Do I think McClaren will? Yes.

When the draw was made for this group, I can't have been the only one looking at the fixtures thinking "Hold on, it's not as easy as it first looks."
Croatia hadn't lost at home in 20 something years, and Russia away in November was always going to be a nightmare. Despite that, we should've qualified with ease... Just so happens the minnows Macedonia not only dumped us in this mess, but could prove to play a vital part in getting ourselves out of it having beaten Croatia 2-0.

I'm a massive critic of the FA. Why Barwick, a journalist with a background in economics, was hired as chief executive is beyond me. All signs point to finance... Wembley nearly crippled the FA as the cost balooned and I think Barwick was appointed with an eye to guide them through it. No problem in my eyes, but not as the senior decision maker in all things football, when the only real experience he had was being a Liverpool fan and producing Match of the Day...

You could also blame McClaren's appointment on money. We were still paying Sven as part of a ludicrous contract (Cheers, Palios) and McClaren wouldn't have demanded a particularly big wage in comparison to the likes of Scolari, who would have. Still, you get what you pay for... and we didn't pay a lot, quite frankly, because we didn't have a lot.

Personally, I'd like to see Mourinho offered the job. Would appeal to his ego to have arguably the most high profile job in world football and he'd love the press attention associated with it. He has all of the attributes needed to succeed at an international level: Brilliant Man Management Skills, Tactical Nous and he knows how to cope with the media.

What made me laugh was Venables in the media stating how England had to stick with McClaren even if we didn't qualify... Of course Tel, otherwise you'd be out on your ear too.

Good post ESB.

Venables can protest all he wants, but one of the FA's top priorities is to fill Wembley and if they think that McClaren's continued appointment will endanger that then they'll wield the axe before McClaren can blink!

Easy now ;)

Do I think McClaren should lead us in Austria next summer should we qualify? No.
Do I think McClaren will? Yes.

When the draw was made for this group, I can't have been the only one looking at the fixtures thinking "Hold on, it's not as easy as it first looks."
Croatia hadn't lost at home in 20 something years, and Russia away in November was always going to be a nightmare. Despite that, we should've qualified with ease... Just so happens the minnows Macedonia not only dumped us in this mess, but could prove to play a vital part in getting ourselves out of it having beaten Croatia 2-0.

I'm a massive critic of the FA. Why Barwick, a journalist with a background in economics, was hired as chief executive is beyond me. All signs point to finance... Wembley nearly crippled the FA as the cost balooned and I think Barwick was appointed with an eye to guide them through it. No problem in my eyes, but not as the senior decision maker in all things football, when the only real experience he had was being a Liverpool fan and producing Match of the Day...

You could also blame McClaren's appointment on money. We were still paying Sven as part of a ludicrous contract (Cheers, Palios) and McClaren wouldn't have demanded a particularly big wage in comparison to the likes of Scolari, who would have. Still, you get what you pay for... and we didn't pay a lot, quite frankly, because we didn't have a lot.

Personally, I'd like to see Mourinho offered the job. Would appeal to his ego to have arguably the most high profile job in world football and he'd love the press attention associated with it. He has all of the attributes needed to succeed at an international level: Brilliant Man Management Skills, Tactical Nous and he knows how to cope with the media.

What made me laugh was Venables in the media stating how England had to stick with McClaren even if we didn't qualify... Of course Tel, otherwise you'd be out on your ear too.

I agree with almost all of it and given my previous post it's probably quite clear the point I disagree with.

The group certainly was pretty hard and the press roundly mocking Bilic for saying it was the hardest seemed to completely overlook what he actually said. He was indicating how strong the 4th and 5th best teams in the group were and he has a point. Israel have managed 20 points taking points off all three top teams and Macedonia have taken points off the two teams looking set to qualify. Having seen Ukraine and Lithuania's joint efforts against the Scots (the only reasonable rival), I don't think they are nearly as strong. Two World Cup finalists in your group is something not to be argued with, mind.

In reflection of McClaren's campaign, I think we have been extraordinarily poor to watch several times but I still feel the only bad result was the home draw with Macedonia. The away draw in Israel was disappointing but we had the better of the game there and were unfortunate not to win it. Even the defeat in Russia seems to have been due to a fairly contentious penalty.

I actually think Bilic has a point about injuries too. Rooney and Owen seem to get injured whenever international time comes around, Terry and Ferdinand have both had decent spells out of the national team and McClaren's first choice full backs have been injured for several crunch games. Even Hargreaves and Lennon who looked so sharp in the Portugal game in 2006 have barely had a run out for injuries since.

Perhaps McClaren's biggest fault has been showing too much loyalty to player such as Robinson, Gerrard and Lampard who don't seem to have to earn their place. Robinson, certainly has made several game-turning errors although to be fair to him, in Croatia we never looked like scoring either.

All that said, qualification should merely be the stage that separates the wheat from the chaff of European football and England have come close to falling on the chaff side. As I have mentioned, we maybe deserved more in some games but at times (Andorra away, Croatia away, Austria friendly) we have played some absolutely dire football. If we play like that at a major tournament, we deserve to go out regardless of whom we are playing. Should we play like that at the finals (should we get there), then McClaren staying on will have been the wrong choice.

However, our more recent competitive games have been much more encouraging and this is why McClaren should stay. I'd like to see Mourninho in charge too but there just isn't time to prepare properly for the tournament and it will further alienate any potential managers by implicating that qualification isn't enough to keep your job. Besides that, Mourinho has been very direct in his assertion that he would only manage Portugal internationally.

A great record.

Out of interest, how long have they been independant?

Since about 1991 I think.

I was told this stat by a very proud Croat colleague yesterday:

"Not France. Not Brazil. Not Argentina. Not England. We never lose at home"

I was just thankful he put England with all those big teams :p

Back