• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WEll they have certainly won a title each, but hardly major players when it comes to the champions league (and Man City barely competed for anything this year).

Falcao could have joined a top club that could have, he has joined monaco, who may well buy some success, but if he was more interested in actually competing for the top honours he would have joined a top club.

Monaco may well challenge for the french league, but he could have been challenging for the English or Spanish leagues AND the champions league.

He didnt, he chose to chase the dollar.

£10 says Monaco are in the Champions League the following season.

I'd also chose living in Monaco over living in Manchester.

£10 says Monaco are in the Champions League the following season.

I'd also chose living in Monaco over living in Manchester.

May well be, but they will be playing in a stadium smaller than Fossetts Farm when they do ! (Ignore the 3 sided fact at moment !)

Money is king in football,
There are only a handful of clubs in Europe who can possibly win the CL and every top player claims they must play CL football yet if Barca offered Rooney 70k per week would he sign,He would demand to be one of the top earners .

Monaco are a very small club with small crowds to match yet are signing big names who are not going there for the sun.

Of course a player would want to have the best possible deal. Footballer's careers are much shorter than any other career and will want the cash to support their family and future.

Monaco might have small crowds, but that doesn't mean they are a small club. They reached the CL final before. Monaco is also a very expensive place to live. Also, I'm not sure how many Monaco residents are even interested in the club or even football.

Monaco get decent crowds for the size of the country, a higher % than do in Southend. 4,000 attendances in a country of 36,000 is 11%, if we got 11% of the Southend population we'd get 18k+ every week. Monaco are something of an oddity, whilst having small attendances, their existence in a tax haven populated by the exceptionally rich allows them to punch above their weight, and as one of the most successful clubs in French history (4 more ligue 1 titles than PSG) means they certainly can't be viewed as a 'small' club.

Drastic™;1546415 said:
Monaco get decent crowds for the size of the country, a higher % than do in Southend. 4,000 attendances in a country of 36,000 is 11%, if we got 11% of the Southend population we'd get 18k+ every week. Monaco are something of an oddity, whilst having small attendances, their existence in a tax haven populated by the exceptionally rich allows them to punch above their weight, and as one of the most successful clubs in French history (4 more ligue 1 titles than PSG) means they certainly can't be viewed as a 'small' club.

However you dress it up they are a small club in comparison with the top clubs in Europe.

Financially they arent small, but any club who gets crowds of 5,000 can not be classed as big (albeit Im sure their crowds will increase now back in the top tier)

Im glad they're turning there back on English football. Too many foreigners over here. Should be limited to 6 per squad.

Im glad they're turning there back on English football. Too many foreigners over here. Should be limited to 6 per squad.

6 per matchday squad (starting 11 + subs) or squads submitted to the league (25 IIRC). Either way I agree with you but this needs to be a slow and gradual introduction otherwise the price of English players will go up.

At the moment, I believe clubs can not have more than 17 players who do not fill the Home Grown Player criteria. 25 players need to be submitted, so at least 8 will have to be Home Grown, but under 21s not need to be in that squad.

That means, at least 32% of the Premier league squads are Home Grown players. Is that enough? Not in my opinion, and I think the limit should be changed over the next 3-4 seasons to not only give more Home Grown players put into squads but into the matchday squad too.

6 per matchday squad (starting 11 + subs) or squads submitted to the league (25 IIRC). Either way I agree with you but this needs to be a slow and gradual introduction otherwise the price of English players will go up.

At the moment, I believe clubs can not have more than 17 players who do not fill the Home Grown Player criteria. 25 players need to be submitted, so at least 8 will have to be Home Grown, but under 21s not need to be in that squad.

That means, at least 32% of the Premier league squads are Home Grown players. Is that enough? Not in my opinion, and I think the limit should be changed over the next 3-4 seasons to not only give more Home Grown players put into squads but into the matchday squad too.
Start with 6 in match day squads, and gradually change it to 6 in a full squad. This would eventually help the national side once English players play more first team football.

No racism here please :smile:

Totally agree, our national side has certainly been affected since the massive influx of foreign players.

On one hand British players learnt from the better technique foreign players brought in, and the improved sports science the foreign coachd but at the point the ones that reached a reasonable standard got silly price tags put on them and it was cheaper to buy abroad we deteriorated.

We have some decent players like Wilshere, but as not enough English players play in our top league and very few go abroad we just dont have enough of them.

No racism here please :smile:

Totally agree, our national side has certainly been affected since the massive influx of foreign players.

On one hand British players learnt from the better technique foreign players brought in, and the improved sports science the foreign coachd but at the point the ones that reached a reasonable standard got silly price tags put on them and it was cheaper to buy abroad we deteriorated.

We have some decent players like Wilshere, but as not enough English players play in our top league and very few go abroad we just dont have enough of them.

Whilst I agree with you the sad reality is England have been crap for decades.

[video=youtube_share;ZMF7Jq8xNGI]http://youtu.be/ZMF7Jq8xNGI[/video]

Montpellier's nicer.So's Toulouse come to that.Even Paris has its fans.:winking:
You never seem to have a nice word to say about England,are you General Francos love child?

The answer as far as I'm concerned is who cares? If less foreign players means more English players then maybe people like me will show more interest in the EPL. At the moment I find it hard to get too excited, especially when they play in Europe. All we're watching is one bunch of foreigners playing against another bunch of foreigners who happen to be based in England for a couple of years.

Whilst I agree with you the sad reality is England have been crap for decades.

WE were a lot better when their werent as many foreign players. In the mid nineties with Shearer and co we did well. Sadly from that point onwards as the Premiership gained momentum and foreign players poured in our depth disappeared.

We used to have a great choice of players back then, now we seem to have to select players who arent even first choice at club level.

From having Alan Shearer/Owen/Sheringham/Fowler/Wright etc we now have Rooney as the only real senior striker with the likes of Wellbeck and Sturridge. Not really the same level of choice....

Back