• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England Team

SUFCStu

President
Fabio Capello has named his England squad for the World Cup qualifiers in Kazakhstan on 6 June and against Andorra at Wembley four days later.
Scott Carson (West Bromwich Albion), Robert Green (West Ham United), Paul Robinson (Blackburn Rovers)

Wayne Bridge (Manchester City), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Gary Neville (Manchester United), John Terry (Chelsea), Matthew Upson (West Ham United)

Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), David Beckham (AC Milan loan from LA Galaxy), Michael Carrick (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Ashley Young (Aston Villa)

Carlton Cole (West Ham United), Peter Crouch (Portsmouth), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Emile Heskey (Aston Villa), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Agree with pretty much all that. A bit unsure as to why Gary Neville is in the squad thou. Its for him to call it a day isnt it?

I hate Gary Neville
To put him in the best 8 defenders in the country at his peak was generous but now?! He's awful, not good enough to start each week for Man Ure so what happenned to Capellos policy?

Has Neville actually been playing for Moan U?

Out of this squad my preferred line-up is

Johnson Ferdinand Terry A. Cole
Beckham Lampard Barry Young
Rooney Defoe Heskey

I hate Gary Neville
To put him in the best 8 defenders in the country at his peak was generous but now?! He's awful, not good enough to start each week for Man Ure so what happenned to Capellos policy?

You mean the most consistent Right Back England had for almost a decade Gary Neville, or the Man United captain, mainstay and highly decorated Gary Neville?

Ahh right, of course...

He won't feature ahead of Glen Johnson, but his presence in the squad is of great importance. He's calm, collected and experienced and is a more than beneficial person to have around. He can most certainly do a job if asked, having showed that when he has performed for United this season, and exactly who else is there to fill that particular Full Back position?

Depending on how we line up for this, I expect it to be a 4-3-3 formation:

Carson
Johnson Terry Ferdinand Cole
Lamps Barry Gerrard
Walcott Rooney
Heskey

Last edited:
I always thought Gary Neville was a solid, dependable, uncomplicated sort of player. You knew exactly where you were with him and knew exactly how he would deal with situations - usually pretty well. A defensive rock.

Everyone always overlooks Ben Foster.

Starting to feature more for United, but obviously needs a more regular slot. The quicker he's moulded into an England keeper the better.

Will be England number one for the next 12/3 years, mark my words! Just need to get him involved!

Everyone always overlooks Ben Foster.

Starting to feature more for United, but obviously needs a more regular slot. The quicker he's moulded into an England keeper the better.

Will be England number one for the next 12/3 years, mark my words! Just need to get him involved!

Think he's just had a wrist op, Wez. Agree with you though, he's certainly the keeper for the future. Fab has picked him for squads even though he's not playing regularly; must be the only player he's done that with...

Last edited:
I hate Gary Neville
Top quality defender, just because you hate doesn't mean hes no good. You cant underestimate the effect his experience will have on the squad too.

Top quality defender, just because you hate doesn't mean hes no good. You cant underestimate the effect his experience will have on the squad too.

That's true, I can't stand Paul Scholes, nor David Batty before him, but both were undeniably key figures in their teams.

Whereas you love Alan Mac and he's useless

*runs for cover*

A whacking great almighty one of these is heading your way as we speak
ICONATOR_017d4536abf265ab18515f17ceee70fb.gif
or alternatively one of these!
smiley_slap.gif
Remind me to "doctor" your cake next time!

I think my post was slightly misunderstood, I believe that for a few years, despite how much I hate him, he was the best right back in the country but that we had much better centre back and left backs. Look at the defenders he has played with, Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Adams, even the likes of in form players like Ledley King, Carragher, Cashley Cole and more, I don't think that even at his peak he was 1 of Englands better defenders but he was the best option at right back, I agree he did what he had to and did it consistently for England when he needed to. The experience thing is all fine but hasn't everyone been saying Becks isn't good enough, drop him when he is a much better player than Neville with more experience having played all over the world.

I always thought Gary Neville was a solid, dependable, uncomplicated sort of player. You knew exactly where you were with him and knew exactly how he would deal with situations - usually pretty well. A defensive rock.

yeah i thought he was a few years ago. But age has caught up with him now. He rarely plays for club so i dont see why considered by country.

I think my post was slightly misunderstood, I believe that for a few years, despite how much I hate him, he was the best right back in the country but that we had much better centre back and left backs. Look at the defenders he has played with, Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Adams, even the likes of in form players like Ledley King, Carragher, Cashley Cole and more, I don't think that even at his peak he was 1 of Englands better defenders but he was the best option at right back, I agree he did what he had to and did it consistently for England when he needed to. The experience thing is all fine but hasn't everyone been saying Becks isn't good enough, drop him when he is a much better player than Neville with more experience having played all over the world.

Assuming you need to have natural cover at each position, who would be your two choices for RB?

Back