• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England Team

For God's sake give him a break! Why are you so unforgiving?

He gave his opinion, got some stick for it, then ultimately back tracked on that opinion because of the stick he recieved.

I'd have respect for him if he stood his ground, voiced the reasons behind his opinion and grew a pair, rather than succomb to the pressure on a messageboard and change his opinion to fit in with the masses.

He gave his opinion, got some stick for it, then ultimately back tracked on that opinion because of the stick he recieved.

I'd have respect for him if he stood his ground, voiced the reasons behind his opinion and grew a pair, rather than succomb to the pressure on a messageboard and change his opinion to fit in with the masses.

No, he gave his opinion, went out, came back and found the sort of comments he did. He then thought again about what he'd said and saw how it sounded which wasn't the way he'd intended and posted accordingly. I have every sympathy with that as I frequently post things that are misunderstood, Sam's a 14 year old, quite mature in his posting but still only 14. He didn't deserve the kind of reaction you gave him.

At least Pubey has had the decency to come back with a sensible question based on Sam's criticisms. If you're going to make a career out of journalism, and which I admit, from what I've read you have a good chance of doing, then I think you ought to consider your reaction to people that obviously wind you up, because it's rather unprofessional to react to the likes of Sam and I in the way you have recently.

No, he gave his opinion, went out, came back and found the sort of comments he did. He then thought again about what he'd said and saw how it sounded which wasn't the way he'd intended and posted accordingly. I have every sympathy with that as I frequently post things that are misunderstood, Sam's a 14 year old, quite mature in his posting but still only 14. He didn't deserve the kind of reaction you gave him.

At least Pubey has had the decency to come back with a sensible question based on Sam's criticisms. If you're going to make a career out of journalism, and which I admit, from what I've read you have a good chance of doing, then I think you ought to consider your reaction to people that obviously wind you up, because it's rather unprofessional to react to the likes of Sam and I in the way you have recently.
blah blah blah, don't drag me into your petty arguments.

This is why I refuse to get into too many debate/arguments/conversations with you... Every time someone gives an opinion which is contrary to your own, you accuse them of a personal attack. Yet, I just gave my thoughts on Manor's changing opinion, and you've made it personal by demeaning me and my career in a post which has absolutely nothing to do with you.

He said Neville wasn't close to being the top eight defenders in the country in his prime, then went back and said he was the best Right Back we had to offer.... A pretty big turnaround. Listing off Central Defenders who were better defensively isn't backing up his argument by any means.

I've never rated Gary Neville in an England shirt. However that's all in the past and people far more qualified than me to pick the England team have disagreed with me.

However to pick him now when he's hardly played for the Mancs all season and is very much at the arse end of his career seems a bit strange.

Now, you can give me all the stick you want because I won't be backtracking! :p

This is why I refuse to get into too many debate/arguments/conversations with you... Every time someone gives an opinion which is contrary to your own, you accuse them of a personal attack. Yet, I just gave my thoughts on Manor's changing opinion, and you've made it personal by demeaning me and my career in a post which has absolutely nothing to do with you.

He said Neville wasn't close to being the top eight defenders in the country in his prime, then went back and said he was the best Right Back we had to offer.... A pretty big turnaround. Listing off Central Defenders who were better defensively isn't backing up his argument by any means.

ESB, how can that be anything OTHER than personal? Honest, you seriously need to think about how what you write comes over - and I realise that's probably hypocritical, but I'm not the one intending to make a career out of writing. I don't think I demeaned you either, in fact, I said I thought you would make a career out of it.

If you're going to make a career out of journalism, and which I admit, from what I've read you have a good chance of doing,

And how you can say a post has nothing to do with me is quite beyond me! I commented on my thoughts on Gary Neville within this thread and felt Sam needed a bit of support, especially as he then backed up his statement, which you say doesn't back his argument. Be gracious enough to accept that he said he'd made a mistake in what he'd written and how it sounded.

You have a bee in your bonnet about me, well, be prepared, because there will be plenty of Mr and Mrs Angrys of Somewhere-in-the-Wold to deal with as a journo. See it as practice.

I've never rated Gary Neville in an England shirt. However that's all in the past and people far more qualified than me to pick the England team have disagreed with me.

However to pick him now when he's hardly played for the Mancs all season and is very much at the arse end of his career seems a bit strange.

Now, you can give me all the stick you want because I won't be backtracking! :p

Appreciate that, it doesnt seem a very Capello-style move, however I don't know who else I would have as my 2nd option at Right back.... Luke Young, Wes Brown? Phil Neville? Micah Richards? Nedum Onuoha? Michael Mancienne?

The way I see it is that Glen Johnson will play, and Gary Neville is a good player to have around the squad.

Not kept up much with Prem players, but what did happen to Micah Richards this year? He had a stonking season the one before, but have seen barely a mention of him this one.

Not kept up much with Prem players, but what did happen to Micah Richards this year? He had a stonking season the one before, but have seen barely a mention of him this one.

had a mature season this year at centre half, still isn't the complete package and is only 20. I would love to see him play more of his younger years at RB before moving to centre half, I feel his athletic attributes are wasted a bit.

Thanks Kay. Anyway back to the topic
Assuming you need to have natural cover at each position, who would be your two choices for RB?
Obviously Glen Johnson and then there is Wes Brown who has kept Neville out of the Man Ure team this year, Micah Richards, who despite playing at centre half for most of the season I still think could do a better job at right back than Neville.

I have no problem if you disagree with my opinion, that's part of life. The issue was that I had put my opinion and reading it back later it didn't give across the message I wanted to give so posted saying what I actually meant.
For example, it's very similar now, Glen Johnson is Englands best right back if you ask me and no-one can really push him that hard for his place but he isn't 1 of the best 8 defenders. A few years ago if you had said to me go and pick the England team then chances are Gary Neville would have been at right back but only because he was the best option in his position.
To say he isn't any good at all is rubbish, you just have to look at what he was won, but in my opinion he is not 1 of Englands better defenders and never has been.

Thanks Kay. Anyway back to the topic

Obviously Glen Johnson and then there is Wes Brown who has kept Neville out of the Man Ure team this year, Micah Richards, who despite playing at centre half for most of the season I still think could do a better job at right back than Neville.

Wes Brown has played 1 competitive game since January, agree with your comments with Richards... he may be in the Under 21s though

Wes Brown has played 1 competitive game since January, agree with your comments with Richards... he may be in the Under 21s though
Really? Thought he had played more than that. Well Capello's selection policy has come unstuck, Johnson's ok but then Richards has been at centre back, Neville and Brown haven't been playing, who else is there?

Really? Thought he had played more than that. Well Capello's selection policy has come unstuck, Johnson's ok but then Richards has been at centre back, Neville and Brown haven't been playing, who else is there?

Neville has played a few games in recent months, from the options I listed in a previous post, Luke Young is the only regular I can see, and with all due respect Villa have been **** in 2009

Neville has played a few games in recent months, from the options I listed in a previous post, Luke Young is the only regular I can see, and with all due respect Villa have been **** in 2009
Good point with Luke Young but then if he was picked and ended up playing and having a nightmare it would make everyone criticise Capello's policy so I guess he has gone for the safer option of picking (in his opinion) the better player.

ESB, how can that be anything OTHER than personal? Honest, you seriously need to think about how what you write comes over - and I realise that's probably hypocritical, but I'm not the one intending to make a career out of writing. I don't think I demeaned you either, in fact, I said I thought you would make a career out of it.

I can assure you, How I write on here and how I write for the press are completely different, contradicting styles... But thanks for the condescending manner. I'll jot that down on a pad and remember it for when I care. On reflection, what I said came off a little strong, but the essential meaning of it all I stand by. Everybody has their opinions, opinions will conflict, but at least have the courage to stand by your opinions...

You have a bee in your bonnet about me, well, be prepared, because there will be plenty of Mr and Mrs Angrys of Somewhere-in-the-Wold to deal with as a journo. See it as practice.

Not against you, Just against the manner in which you waltz around this board acting like you're Mother Goose and we're all your little ducklings speaking to people in a patronising manner and, when it blows back in your face, taking an innocent stance like you've been gravely offended.

munch.scream2.jpg

I am and have been a big fan of Gary Neville for years. Not only is he a good defender (having started his career at centre back) but is actually a good attacker as well. He doesn't have the pace of Ashley Cole but puts in a very good cross and does the simple things well. A lot of people claim he could only play right back with Becks in front of him which I believe is utter rubbish.

I am also slightly surprised he was picked in the team but as people have said there isn't really a lot of options. I think Micah Richards flattered to deceive ar Right Back. His positional sense was awful, luckily something he made up for with his pace but against top quality opposition I think this would be a problem in the future.

Back