• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England Tour of Bangladesh

number11

"Good morning everybody........"
I see Strauss has been rested, which I don't agree with, but am shocked that they have not asked Ravi to go to have another look at him, and that RAshid has been dropped to make way for Tredwell. Surely Bangladesh is an ideal place to try out the young leg spinner rather then take a middling Offspinner. Other interesting names are Shazhad, the Yorkshire pace bowler who Boys was championing on TMS, and Carberry who is I presume likely to open and shows the lack of competition on Cook and Strauss.

Last edited:
doesn't Strauss have 3 weeks now to rest? isn't that long enough?

doesn't Strauss have 3 weeks now to rest? isn't that long enough?

Sorry, yes I agree with that....typo in my post. I dont think Strauss should have been rested but where he has been I'm still disappointed Ravi is left without a look in (I know they are not like for like replacements). THink it takes some of Strauss's authority away if he fancies a rest but everyone else has to go....surely as a captain you should be setting the example so in future when players dont fancy a tour they can't throw this admission back in his face. Also, as a batsman, surely he must want to go and knock up some runs!!

I see Strauss has been rested, which I don't agree with, but am shocked that they have not asked Ravi to go to have another look at him, and that RAshid has been dropped to make way for Tredwell. Surely Bangladesh is an ideal place to try out the young leg spinner rather then take a middling Offspinner. Other interesting names are Shazhad, the Yorkshire pace bowler who Boys was championing on TMS, and Carberry who is I presume likely to open and shows the lack of competition on Cook and Strauss.

Carberry averaged high 60s in the County Championship last year.
I would say that is good competition!
Deserves a chance.
Trescothick otherwise but his mind is shot to bits and he won't ever be touring with England again or playing for them come to that.

I think there's far too much international cricket, especially one day and twenty20 games. It totally devalues the achievement of winning a test match or test series and also ensures players will never be at peak fitness whilst they continually tour and play.

England should be sending out a 'B' team to play Bangladesh, whom have so far shown no aptitude at all for test cricket.

Home test series, the domestic domestic season, and one winter tour is all it should be during the course of 12 months too. Quality over quantity.

I think there's far too much international cricket, especially one day and twenty20 games. It totally devalues the achievement of winning a test match or test series and also ensures players will never be at peak fitness whilst they continually tour and play.

England should be sending out a 'B' team to play Bangladesh, whom have so far shown no aptitude at all for test cricket.

Home test series, the domestic domestic season, and one winter tour is all it should be during the course of 12 months too. Quality over quantity.

Couldn't agree more.

I fully support resting Strauss. Sure, he could go and play, but if England want him to be their captain for more than 2 years, we need to rest him from the grind. Captaining England is one of the most stressful jobs in the country. Anyone who disagrees with the decision to rest Strauss should go and read Nasser Hussain's autobiography to see what captaining England did to him.

As for the tour party, I'd have included Bopara. He averaged 15 in 7 innings at 3 against Australia; Trott averaged 21 in 6 innings at 3 against South Africa. Trott is quite rightly retained, and after a tour off, Bopara should be recalled. We wouldn't have learnt much from him playing against Bangladesh, but we still need to win the tests. When it comes to selecting this tour party, being a minnow basher is a compliment rather than criticism.

Rashid has fallen right out of favour. I think his confidence was hit in the one-dayers and hasn't recovered. Don't think we'll see him back in international cricket in 2010 and I think he'll struggle with Yorks this year.

Shahzad is a dark horse. His names was on a lot of people's lips at the end of the season when he was out of contract and everyone wanted to sign him. He clearly has a bit about him. He has however been injury plagued and hasn't even taken a 5-fer. Presumably it will be Wright who plays as the all-rounder instead of him, with Plunkett coming in for Jimmy.

Yeah its ridiculous now, isn't there another World Cup this year?

Back