• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Sri Lanka

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Big, big game this one.

The news is that we've won the toss and will field.

As I believe the only way we can beat the top teams is to bowl first and take early wickets, this is a real plus.

Sri Lanka are still favourites, but if England can strike early we could yet be competitive.

Amazingly, only Ian Bell remains from the team that played the final 2 games of the 5-0 thrashing last summer.

A few played and missed but no catching oppurtunities or lbw's at present. We need to get Jayasuriya out quickly, else we'll be chasing 270+

I'm still not greatly impressed with Mahmood, hoping he proves me wrong.

Just as I talk about Mahmood, he's taken a wicket! Bowled Jayasuriya played on. Excellent, now to get Sangakkara and we'll have a great chance.

Sri Lanka have a quality top 4. Jayasuiura is obviously the big threat, but Sangakarra and Jawardene are class acts. But don't underestimate Tharanga, who was my outside tip for top scorer in the world cup.

I will say this now as hopefully he will ram the words back down my throat, but I would have liked to have seen Joyce axed for Strauss in this one. Strauss just strikes me as having more class as is perhaps a good player who had a bit of a slump, whereas I see Joyce as an average player who hit form in an innnings against the aussies and not done much since.

Also, Joyce has been a bit suspect in the field, whereas Strauss is pretty reliable.

Would be good time for a wicket me thinks.

im only following it online, so dont know what the commentators think, but I was surprised Mahmood was replaced after 2 decent overs (well a wicket taking over and a tight one). I would have been tempted to let him continue against the new batsman who would probably not be looling to score to riskily, so that Mahmood could get through a bulk of his overs without too much damage. I just fear what carnage could be if he is left to bowl to batsmen when they are well set later on in the innings...

im only following it online, so dont know what the commentators think, but I was surprised Mahmood was replaced after 2 decent overs (well a wicket taking over and a tight one). I would have been tempted to let him continue against the new batsman who would probably not be looling to score to riskily, so that Mahmood could get through a bulk of his overs without too much damage. I just fear what carnage could be if he is left to bowl to batsmen when they are well set later on in the innings...

Like you I'm only following the on-line commentary, but I think Mahmood is viewed by the England hierarchy as one of England's better "death" bowlers. I think they therefore want to save his overs until the latter stages, when everyone is getting hit around and his unpredictability makes him harder to hit.

I know this isn't a view held by many England fans, but Mahmood certainly has the raw materials to be an outstanding death bowler, if not the consistency. He's probably the best in the squad at mixing up slower balls and yorkers.

At the other end it will be interesting to see if Anderson is bowled out, or whether Monty comes on after drinks.

Having written all that, they've gone and bought back Mahmood.

I think my last post can safely be ignored!

ps England desperately need wickets now.

Slower ball by Mahmood, Sangakkara chips up to point and he's gone. Another big wicket down, looks like Saj is proving me wrong at the moment :)

I just think at Mahmoods pace, but with his tendency to spray the ball around a well set batsman can have a field day using the pace of the ball to hit boundaries even with the field back......

I agree he has the raw materials to be a very good bowler, but in a world cup Id rather have bowlers that are finished articles!! Still, his figures are pretty decent thus far. A wicket or two would be nice now though as soon we will have to bring our fifth bowler into play (after Monty is introduced...).

I think England woujld ahve settled for this total after 18 overs, but the Sri Lankans can easily get that run rate up to plus 5 when they start going for their shots.

Incidentally what sites do people follow it on? Im on Cricinfo, which is pretty good and sometimes amusing, if trying slightly to hard to be like a text version of TMS.

Ha, who'd be a commentator hey....

well done Saj.

I just think at Mahmoods pace, but with his tendency to spray the ball around a well set batsman can have a field day using the pace of the ball to hit boundaries even with the field back......

I agree he has the raw materials to be a very good bowler, but in a world cup Id rather have bowlers that are finished articles!! Still, his figures are pretty decent thus far. A wicket or two would be nice now though as soon we will have to bring our fifth bowler into play (after Monty is introduced...).

I think England woujld ahve settled for this total after 18 overs, but the Sri Lankans can easily get that run rate up to plus 5 when they start going for their shots.

Incidentally what sites do people follow it on? Im on Cricinfo, which is pretty good and sometimes amusing, if trying slightly to hard to be like a text version of TMS.

Sat with my feet up watching it on Sky 1.:D

DReadful delivery from Saj Mahmood........

but Sangakkara places it straight to the fielder 69-2

Honestly, cracinfo had it as 70-1.

They've now updated it.

Sounds like it might have been his slower ball that I was talking up a few overs ago!

Back