• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England

Southgate, despite his "success" of late shows his tactical naievity. A manager of a 5yr old's teams would have told him to make some substitutions after Kane scored. Freshen it up & change it around but no, and that 1-1 draw felt like a loss.

He's lucky he has a group of some the very best players in the world to carry him or he'd been out on his arse years ago.

Ah, the wisdom of hindsight strikes again.

Playing a holding midfielder frees up the other midfielders to take up more attacking positions. Instead of all of them sharing defensive duties they give them to one guy and the others push on more. It’s been a staple of Brazilian sides for decades.

I suggest you watch the second half again and see how many times he needlessly dropped back in front of the defence rather than push on up the pitch or even dare to actually try and create anything….as if! Against a team of Andorra‘s noted attacking prowess he was a waste of space and we could have done with more creativity from the start. We aren’t a Brazil and never ever will be like Brazil who play in an entirely different manner.

Ah, the wisdom of hindsight strikes again.

I doubt there are hardly any games across the world every year when a team makes no substitutions in a game. It would have broken up the Polish game, wasted time. But no, not super Gareth.

I doubt there are hardly any games across the world every year when a team makes no substitutions in a game. It would have broken up the Polish game, wasted time. But no, not super Gareth.
What subs would you have made?

I suggest you watch the second half again and see how many times he needlessly dropped back in front of the defence rather than push on up the pitch or even dare to actually try and create anything….as if! Against a team of Andorra‘s noted attacking prowess he was a waste of space and we could have done with more creativity from the start. We aren’t a Brazil and never ever will be like Brazil who play in an entirely different manner.
And how often did his teammates push on up the pitch because of the licence he gave them?

I've seen Andorra live 3 or 4 times.As everyone knows, they're difficult to break down until they tire.Never seen them score though, against Capello's England (3-0).Also against Eire (3-0 ) and Holland 5-0 back in the days of the qualifiers for the World Cup in France.Also come to think of it against France.Can't remember the score of that one but since it was just after France's World Cup win in 98 France must have won by a few.

Last edited:
When it comes down to it we have one of the best teams in Europe (2nd best, only lost to Italy on pens). We also have lots of young talent and lots to be excited about for the future. We expect to qualify in first place, it’s almost a given. When you look at Denmark’s results in qualifying it puts our win against them into perspective. We love to run the national team down .. it’s a habit we have but personally I thought a 1-1 draw away to Poland was a great result.

@Leigh_Seasider you nearly had me in 100% accord. except "great result". The draw is average and good enough in the circumstances.
And it was a useful away experience for some of the younger players who have either only played for England at Home or under covid reduced crowds.
Although I can not guess what the, arabic venued, crowd will be like at the World Cup main events.

Back