• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

turkishm

Director
JP looked the best player on the pitch, for 30 min, i would really like to see PB include him in his starting eleven. Those that say he cant play in a 442, because his tracking back isnt all it should be, imo are missing the point, i would rather win 3 2 than 1 0, that imo would get more fans through the turnstiles.

I would rather win 1-0 than draw 2-2 though...

I'm sure Jack will get his chance now, Brown is very good at keeping players in the side until they get injured/big loss of form...

Jack needs to prove is a capable turning it on for at least 60/70 minutes rather than 30 mins...

Guess the problem is he was good for the first 30 mins and then once they sussed him out then he went missing. Barely remember him touching the ball in the second half before he got subbed. U could argue he did his job first half and had we defended better then he would have contributed brilliantly to a win. However, he is still very light weight and does get knocked of the ball way to easily and second half when we were under pressure he has nothing to offer.

Guess the problem is he was good for the first 30 mins and then once they sussed him out then he went missing. Barely remember him touching the ball in the second half before he got subbed. U could argue he did his job first half and had we defended better then he would have contributed brilliantly to a win. However, he is still very light weight and does get knocked of the ball way to easily and second half when we were under pressure he has nothing to offer.
I understand your point, but would it not be better to have JP on the pitch, to prehaps make us more offensive, rather than have players who role seems to be keeping the game 0 0

I understand your point, but would it not be better to have JP on the pitch, to prehaps make us more offensive, rather than have players who role seems to be keeping the game 0 0

We did have JP on the pitch when we conceded 2 goals..

That may be a tad harsh. JP played very well for the first part of the game. His anonymity coincided with the team being pressed harder and our forward endeavour curtailed. It seems to me, if anything, almost every team we face can switch things around at half time and we cannot. We struggle to deal with the changing tactics/formation of the opposition and it leaves me concerned that we have too little in the way of tactical awareness/ability in the coaching.

To blame JP is heavy handed when many of the players had a less than scintillating second half compared to the first. The others may be forgiven because they appear resolute in the face of attacks but JP's game is not about that. If we want to see him bloom for the ninety minutes then maybe the team/coaches need to work out how we play to the best of our abilities in the opposition third for ninety minutes.

We can all look like a wallflower when they dont play our tunes at the party.

That may be a tad harsh. JP played very well for the first part of the game. His anonymity coincided with the team being pressed harder and our forward endeavour curtailed. It seems to me, if anything, almost every team we face can switch things around at half time and we cannot. We struggle to deal with the changing tactics/formation of the opposition and it leaves me concerned that we have too little in the way of tactical awareness/ability in the coaching.

To blame JP is heavy handed when many of the players had a less than scintillating second half compared to the first. The others may be forgiven because they appear resolute in the face of attacks but JP's game is not about that. If we want to see him bloom for the ninety minutes then maybe the team/coaches need to work out how we play to the best of our abilities in the opposition third for ninety minutes.

We can all look like a wallflower when they dont play our tunes at the party.

That would be some game....not sure any team in the world can contain the opposition in their own third for the full 90 minutes. Each game has twists and turns, we are never always going to on top and will always be under pressure at some point!

That would be some game....not sure any team in the world can contain the opposition in their own third for the full 90 minutes. Each game has twists and turns, we are never always going to on top and will always be under pressure at some point!

I think you know what I mean. Consistently, not constantly, over ninety minutes. You little tinker you!

But he wasn't playing in midfield, he was playing behind the front man, which, in my opinion is the best position for him.

In a 4-4-2 you can't play him in the middle, he'd need to play as an out and out striker

But he wasn't playing in midfield, he was playing behind the front man, which, in my opinion is the best position for him.

In a 4-4-2 you can't play him in the middle, he'd need to play as an out and out striker

But why can't you play him in the middle of a 442?

Jack has only played 400 odd minutes so needs further pitch time to get up to speed.

If you want an exciting team then Jack gets into my team every time.
If you want a dour team grinding out 1 0 then Jack ain't your man.

The way I see it, he is the opposite midfielder to Atkinson. Will gets stick for not being enough of an attacking threat, Jack gets it for being too much of an attacking threat. Assuming PB knows where I'm coming from, I would imagine there may be some logic to playing them both ie between the two of them we're sorted.

But why can't you play him in the middle of a 442?

Because he is not a central midfielder. He's a number ten. I can see the argument for squeezing him into a 4-4-2 as a converted striker or winger but he isn't a central midfielder and one tackle at Wembley doesn't change that.

I've wanted to see this for about a year now, I think last Saturday is the closest we're going to get to it though

Definitely works for me, that way.

As I mentioned on another thread, you can then play Mooney or Wordsworth behind him and Hunt, when fit, alongside him, giving us so many options.

Lets face it, Weston and Pigott haven't got it at this level. They are just not natural finishers.

Jack has only played 400 odd minutes so needs further pitch time to get up to speed.

If you want an exciting team then Jack gets into my team every time.
If you want a dour team grinding out 1 0 then Jack ain't your man.

I wouldn't say that..... He looked very comfortable in his grinding role for a dour team against Bristol Rovers. With the right coaching and dropping back much further than he did at Sheffield he could easily loos his exciting qualities. He is young so give him time and a run of dour games and as long as he stays away from the oppositions box he will develop into a decent grinder.

Back