• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Essex Cricket 2022

They’re just not as good as they once were. I could see this coming a mile off before the season.

They’ve lost the likes of Bopara, RtD.

Their best batsmen - in the injured Lawrence’s absence - are 37 and 33 and on the wane. The likes of Browne, Wheater, Harmer are all the wrong side of 30 as well.

We enjoyed a magical few years but it’s not like that all the time. I hope we all appreciated just how special it was because this is what it’s like to be mortal.

They’ll have good days as well as bad days like this but in the absence of a couple of youngsters becoming international prospects without becoming actual internationals and therefore unavailable is what it’ll look like from time to time.

We’ll see if they’ve still the stomach for the fight when they’ve been used to winning and rolling over teams - there’s a real possibility that the wheels come off quickly once they no longer have the title as a realistic goal. Hopefully it’s more of a blip and they settle into into midtable mediocrity.

Article was mentioned by the Essex commentators today with the caveat of 'we can't comment on what i going on behind the scenes because we don't know but I would point you the the direction of a certain newspaper article'. This is Dick Davies and Paul Newton who are veteran commentators.

I know it is a comic paper but Mr Newman is very respected cricket journalist.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...candal.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead

Article was mentioned by the Essex commentators today with the caveat of 'we can't comment on what i going on behind the scenes because we don't know but I would point you the the direction of a certain newspaper article'. This is Dick Davies and Paul Newton who are veteran commentators.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...candal.html?ito=native_share_article-masthead
Paul Newman is probably the journalist best connected at Essex, however I don’t see boardroom stuff as the cause for the current side’s demise.

Good to see* a bit more fight today, particularly from Walter.

*at least until the stream went down

I realise the zone has to be very careful with what is posted on here so if this post needs to be deleted I have no issues. I know people who have had dealings with farragher and they are not surprised by this, I'll say no more

We got the draw but our batsmen really need to do some work. Snater and Walter dug them out of a hole this time. Still disappointing as I expect Northants to be down the bottom and a team that we should be beating if we had title aspirations, Northants can certainly feel hard done by that they didn't manage to get the win. I think the most disappointing thing is that we have produced 2 pitches that we so easy to bat on and were more than likely going to produce draws.

YB does make a good point and I agree we are on the wain, but I don't think there is any team in the championship that looks really strong. I was hoping we'd have enough to get one last title challenge in. We still could, but it's going to take much better performances than we have seen.

Didn’t think we’d get a draw at the start today but we did, got out of jail on this one.

Paul Newman is probably the journalist best connected at Essex, however I don’t see boardroom stuff as the cause for the current side’s demise.

Good to see* a bit more fight today, particularly from Walter.

*at least until the stream went down

Not even in tomorrows squad. All but one of the board have now resigned as well I believe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61321935

Not even in tomorrows squad. All but one of the board have now resigned as well I believe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/61321935
It makes you wonder how damming this report will be!
I don't think the Wheater situation is related? He'd have been a kid at the time I think? There certainly seems to be more to the Wheater situation though, only 32 and not visably on the decline so to retire seems odd.

I don't think the Wheater situation is related? He'd have been a kid at the time I think? There certainly seems to be more to the Wheater situation though, only 32 and not visably on the decline so to retire seems odd.
Essex been fined 50 grand for racist comments made at board meetings in 2017

Essex been fined 50 grand for racist comments made at board meetings in 2017
Just saw that, with all the resignations I was expecting worse from the report.

The Wheater situation perplexes me though, I'd stress I believe it is a totally unrelated issue. Retirement and then not in the squad in quick succession. I feel there must be more to this story and from a player who seemingly had a lot more to give.

What’s he averaging this season? (And why is it so hard to find averages now?)

I suspect he was going to get dropped for Rossington and decided he’d had enough.

What’s he averaging this season? (And why is it so hard to find averages now?)

I suspect he was going to get dropped for Rossington and decided he’d had enough.
19.66 which isn't great but has looked better than a few of our batsmen.

It might be that simple but surprises me he's just decided to call it a day rather than go to another county.

Read the full report. Farragher using the N word openly in a board meeting in a derogatory way. Good riddence!

Back