• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EURO 2021 FINAL - Italy v England. Sunday 11th July 2021 20:00.

So how will we do against the Italians?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s coming home it’s coming home it’s coming football coming home

Nothing between the teams. We have a crap record against them but then the same was true of Germany. They will be more wiley and streetwise than the Danes, but we have more pace and dynamism up top.

I'm intrigued as to how GS will approach this game tactically. I personally would consider adding Henderson as a third CM to give our back four more protection and potentially reduce Giorgino's influence on the ball.

Last night Damsgaard was causing us no end of problems with his movement in behind Rice and Phillips and I'm still confused as to why he was subbed because after that Denmark's threat almost disappeared completely and we took the game by the scruff of the neck.

We're likely to play on the counter so I'd keep Saka for his pace and reluctantly drop Mount. Sounds harsh but with five possible subs we can still introduce him, and the likes of Foden, Grealish, Rashford and Sancho if necessary.

The alternative, of course, is to go for the throat with Grealish on the left, Foden behind Kane and Sterling on the right - I'd love that of course - but the priority is to cut the supply to Insigne, Immobile and Chiesa because they have been sensational in this tournament and will provide a huge test defensively.

Sadly I think Italy will win. They've been great to watch with their high tempo game and the high press - unrecognisable from previous Italian teams - and given their incredible unbeaten run it will be a massive task; but GS has been tactically spot on throughout and with the possible exception of Bobby Robson and to a lesser extent Glenn Hoddle, he's the best England manager in my lifetime (born in late 70s).

And to think Harry Redknapp thought Alan Pardew and Tim Sherwood were better options...

I think Brown should take a look at Italys CB's Chiellini and Bonucci.
They are 36 and 34 , so fit the bill perfectly.

Chiellini would absolutely be a PB signing (tongue in cheek). A Wiley old pro who loves the mind games which we mustn't be drawn into. If you haven't seen it check out the video of the coin toss for the Italy Spain shootout. Spain had lost it before it had even started.

Reaching the final is beyond anything I thought I would see. I don't want to say it's good just to reach the final but.... it's good just to reach the final.

I see an Italy win as they are on insane form but there will be no better situation than to win a European Championship.

England have overcome all the burdens so far like winning a penalty shootout, knocking out Germany, reaching a final....

I'll be there.
Booing the anthem.
No Lazor though, that's a bit too ****house (Did help him save the Penalty though)
****ing everyone off.
Being English.
Lobbing beer.
And watching us smash the Italians 1-0.

Can't wait.

This tournament has already given me 2 of the very best live matches experiences (Germany and last night) that I've ever experienced (Man Utd & Wycome up there too)

This is more than football. This is a nation moving forward together.

Reaching the final is beyond anything I thought I would see. I don't want to say it's good just to reach the final but.... it's good just to reach the final.

I see an Italy win as they are on insane form but there will be no better situation than to win a European Championship.

England have overcome all the burdens so far like winning a penalty shootout, knocking out Germany, reaching a final....

Indeed, I think regardless of the outcome of the final, a lot of the mindset issues that have haunted and curtailed the England team over the years will have been laid to rest.

That in itself should be a positve for future tournaments

Indeed, I think regardless of the outcome of the final, a lot of the mindset issues that have haunted and curtailed the England team over the years will have been laid to rest.

That in itself should be a positve for future tournaments

In reflection, I am not sure it was ever a fear/mindset with those in the past. Looking at the era of Gerrard, Lampard and co, I now don't believe it was ever fear it was just a lack of giving a **** in comparison to these lads. They wanted to go and win domestic trophies more, these lads want to bring a nation together.

I'm intrigued as to how GS will approach this game tactically. I personally would consider adding Henderson as a third CM to give our back four more protection and potentially reduce Giorgino's influence on the ball.

Last night Damsgaard was causing us no end of problems with his movement in behind Rice and Phillips and I'm still confused as to why he was subbed because after that Denmark's threat almost disappeared completely and we took the game by the scruff of the neck.

We're likely to play on the counter so I'd keep Saka for his pace and reluctantly drop Mount. Sounds harsh but with five possible subs we can still introduce him, and the likes of Foden, Grealish, Rashford and Sancho if necessary.

The alternative, of course, is to go for the throat with Grealish on the left, Foden behind Kane and Sterling on the right - I'd love that of course - but the priority is to cut the supply to Insigne, Immobile and Chiesa because they have been sensational in this tournament and will provide a huge test defensively.

Sadly I think Italy will win. They've been great to watch with their high tempo game and the high press - unrecognisable from previous Italian teams - and given their incredible unbeaten run it will be a massive task; but GS has been tactically spot on throughout and with the possible exception of Bobby Robson and to a lesser extent Glenn Hoddle, he's the best England manager in my lifetime (born in late 70s).

And to think Harry Redknapp thought Alan Pardew and Tim Sherwood were better options...
Are you related to Henderson?

Think it might go down to penalties, i hope we have a strong minded referee who dosent like play acting. As the rest of the world knows im sure , the Italians training consists of 75% of the time in drama classes

Two contrasting styles with the Italians slightly ahead on technical ability. On the day it will depend on who has the most determination to win and both sides appear to have an abundance of that quality.

My heart and head say England but it will be mighty close and not necessarily an exciting game to watch as both sides will not want to make mistakes. If either side scores early then it will change the whole style of the game. I'm still sticking with my head and heart because Southgate reminds me a lot of Alf Ramsey in his unwavering belief that England will win.

Two contrasting styles with the Italians slightly ahead on technical ability. On the day it will depend on who has the most determination to win and both sides appear to have an abundance of that quality.

My heart and head say England but it will be mighty close and not necessarily an exciting game to watch as both sides will not want to make mistakes. If either side scores early then it will change the whole style of the game. I'm still sticking with my head and heart because Southgate reminds me a lot of Alf Ramsey in his unwavering belief that England will win.

Nothing like him

Attachments

• Gareth Southgate.jpg
    Gareth Southgate.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Sir Alf Ramsey.jpg
    Sir Alf Ramsey.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 1
Italian defenders got exposed so many time against Spain as their lack of paces in back 4 have shown, if Spain had an Spanish Harry Kane up front, we would be facing Spain in final instead. We have better teams, especially the attacking area.

Are you related to Henderson?
I know you don't like him, I just think it's an option. Italy play 4-3-3 and Giorgino has pulled the strings in every game so another body in that area to match up might reduce his influence. Henderson is a leader and covers a lot of ground in midfield. If it's any consolation a fearless Jude Bellingham would be a good alternative. :Winking:

Back