• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Expiring Contracts

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 15 2005,09:54)]I know we are second in the league without any real contribution from Nicolau whatsoever
sad.gif

Hmm, so his contributions at Kidderminster away (just off the top of my head) appear to have gone unnoticed.

Remind me, just how many left footed players, apart from Barrett, Nicolau and Kightly, do we have at this club?

rock.gif

I don't see why there's a desire to get rid, wholesale, of a load of players. Take Kights, for example... I can't imagine we're paying him a bank-busting salary. So, why not keep him - there's definitely potential there, isn't there? Why chuck that away?

Of Flavs, Jupp, Wilson, Nicolau, Smith, Corbett, Bramble, Dudfield, Kights, I can only see compelling reasons to get rid of Tes... he's out of the club physically and mentally now.

Corbett's hanging on by a thread as well, I reckon. A month-to-month for him at best.

Jay Smith would definitely be in my plans. Yes, he's had injury problems... and, frankly, if he doesn't get over them next year then I wouldn't be surprised if he retires.

Flavs, Juppy, Che and Dudders are all "no brainers" - all of them get kept on for me, although Juppy & Che as perhaps squad members than first teamers.

Kightly & Nicky must surely not be on that much... again, I see no great difficulty in keeping either.

We do need a new left back and a new left wing, that said... and I guess if Tilly feels that Kightly & Nicky aren't up to those jobs (those are their positions after all), then I would have to stand by his judgement in letting them go. But I think it would be a shame - they are two young lads who I don't think have really had the chance to prove themselves...

sad.gif

Hey ho.

Matt

Its a tough decision for Tilly+Brush because they have to decide if some of them can't cut-it in a higher division, even if they look ok at this level.
IMO Jupp, Wilson, Corbett will go. Nicky, Duds + Smith will stay and it could go either way for Flavs + Kights

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFC Employee @ April 15 2005,12:32)]Isn't our wage bill the highest in the league at the moment?
wow.gif

Really?! I'd always been led to believe that it was one of the lowest, and that we were well inside the wages-to-turnover ratio threshhold of 60%.

Thought the big spenders of this league were Darlo (Wijnhard, Petta, Armstrong, Hignett - for example) and Macc Town...

rock.gif

I'm genuinely shocked if that's true!

oops.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ April 14 2005,18:02)]I am almost certain that Edwards was only given a 1 year deal last summer. I remember because I found it strange at the time that Prior was offered a 2 year deal given that they are the same age.
No, Edwards is definitely on a two year deal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFC Employee @ April 15 2005,12:32)]Isn't our wage bill the highest in the league at the moment?
No chance, I think you'll find Orient's is a lot higher than ours to name but one.

Jay will be here next season I'm sure, there's no way Tilson will get rid of such a talent without giving him a fair chance to prove his fitness. Personally I'd offer him a year's deal with an option for a 2nd if he plays enough games - remember the transfer window next season, we are going to need a slightly bigger squad.

As for the rest, if it were me:

Flavs (1 year), Duds (2 year), Nicolau (1 year), Wilson (1 year), Jupp (1 year)

Corbett, Bramble, Kightly, Edwards - RELEASED

I must stress that IMHO if Jupp is kept on it MUST be as cover only for Hunt, its quite clear who is the more competent RB. Nicolau and Wilson (despite the latter having a good season) should be squad players due to the window and ST should IMHO attempt to sign a new first-choice LB and also 2 wingers (one on each side) to give us strength in depth in wide areas next season.

A 4th striker is also a must, I see Chris Greenacre is leaving Stoke in the Summer - he'd be ideal for League One.

[b said:
Don't believe that for a second, like Matt said, surely Darlo are paying the most, or even Swansea. Seeing as they get massive crowds (for this division at least) they'd have more turnover.

I think Flahavan, Jupp, Wilson, Smith, and Dudfield will all be kept on. Kightly and Corbett I'm unsure on and Bramble has gotta be on his way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ April 14 2005,18:02)]I am almost certain that Edwards was only given a 1 year deal last summer. I remember because I found it strange at the time that Prior was offered a 2 year deal given that they are the same age.
Same here lincoln shrimper, I am absolutely certain Edwards is out of contract in the Summer. I remember reading about it in the Echo and also seeing it on TLG.

Nicolau in for Gower I reckon. In fact, sack Gower or even better put him in the stocks. Dont forget everyone, Nicolau was great at Kidderminster and he even scored a goal from a corner once. What has Gower ever done for Southend?*

*Sarcasm for beginners

I'm sure I heard somewhere that ours was the highest. If that is incorrect then I'm sorry, but I'm sure ours must be close to the top, with maybe only a couple of teams above us.

I'd be disappointed if Southend didn't have the highest turnover in the division. Geographically we are probably the best placed club in the division. What other club can combine our catchment area and our proximity to London (and London's prices) and our success on the playing field this last 18 months.

If every club is working on the same percentage of wage bill to turnover, that would give Southend the biggest wage bill.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ April 15 2005,13:06)]If every club is working on the same percentage of wage bill to turnover
They're not. Macclesfield are perhaps the prime example of this... they've brought in plenty of pricey players (Morley, Parkin, Carruthers last year), kept hold of their best players through wages (notably Tipton) - and yet have the smallest wages in the league by a country mile - this season's average is something like 2,200.

They're being bankrolled, supposedly, by some wealthy Asian businessmen... not sure why. Anyhow, it'll do them no good in the long run - just ask Rushden.

Matt

P.S. Why would our turnover be the highest when Swansea's average gate this season is well over 8,000; the Gas's is 7,500 or so; and ours is only 5,600?

rock.gif

We DID have easily one of the highest wage bills in the division until Webby came back in and saved this club from what would now be almost certain administration.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 15 2005,13:12)]P.S. Why would our turnover be the highest when Swansea's average gate this season is well over 8,000; the Gas's is 7,500 or so; and ours is only 5,600?

rock.gif
They can only realistically take the turnover from published accounts, also it will be at the start of the season . So at the start of this season our wage cap will have been based on the latest published accounts at the time, those to June 2003 (funnily enough they are still the latest published accounts).
The 2002-2003 season average attendance was 4200 ? so that, plus other income will be how the wages this season will have been limited.

That is not going to put us anywhere near the top payers....

Next year things will have picked up a bit as the accounts will be in (hopefully) for last season and therefore the first LDV run and an average gate of 4500 will be used.....

Unless of course those responsible for policing the wage cap don't use the published / audited accounts then anyone could make something up and as long as it isn't too stupid probably get away with inflated figures and therefore inflated wages.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 15 2005,13:12)]They're being bankrolled, supposedly, by some wealthy Asian businessmen... not sure why. Anyhow, it'll do them no good in the long run - just ask Rushden.
I know the Hearsay but don't think it's appropriate to be saying as though it's true though.

Nothing shocking, but certainly related to one of the big election issues.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 15 2005,13:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ April 15 2005,13:06)]If every club is working on the same percentage of wage bill to turnover
They're not.  Macclesfield are perhaps the prime example of this... they've brought in plenty of pricey players (Morley, Parkin, Carruthers last year), kept hold of their best players through wages (notably Tipton) - and yet have the smallest wages in the league by a country mile - this season's average is something like 2,200.

They're being bankrolled, supposedly, by some wealthy Asian businessmen... not sure why.  Anyhow, it'll do them no good in the long run - just ask Rushden.

Matt

P.S. Why would our turnover be the highest when Swansea's average gate this season is well over 8,000; the Gas's is 7,500 or so; and ours is only 5,600?

rock.gif
Bristol Rovers and Swansea may average higher attendances, but I think both are cheaper to get into than Southend. I think tickets at Bristol Rovers and Swansea cost about £11 compared to our £16.50. Southend will have also played more games because of our LDV cup run(s).

Also gate receipts will only form part of a club's revenue. There's shirt sales, corporate hospitality and whatever the commercial department does.

I'd say Southend followed by Oxford would have the largest turnovers in the division. Although as someone pointed out, we may have difficulty verifying this in the absence of any accounts being released!

Back