• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

To be honest apart from Chelsea, I can't recall us having many big teams in the fa cup in my supporting history.

To be honest apart from Chelsea, I can't recall us having many big teams in the fa cup in my supporting history.

The FA Cup is a bit of a speciality for me, having seen our last 57 matches going back to the 1st Round Replay at Layabout Road in 1984 .. i was only 14 and my dad banned me from going as he suspected trouble ..and there was indeed massive disorder that night
In all these years we've been dealt a pretty ropey hand with Everton 1992 (0-1) Sheff Weds 1993 (0-2) Southampton 1995 (0-2) Scum Ham 1996 (0-2) Leicester 1997 (0-2) Spurs 2007 (1-3) and Chelsea 2009 (1-1 and 1-4) our top flight opponents

In the same period we've been paired with non league sides on 14 occasions (W6 D4 L4)

The balance is made up of 5 sides from Tier 2 (3 of them being Barnsley :zzzzz:) and 30 from either L1 or L2 (:zzzzz: :zzzzz:)

In the same period we've been paired with non league sides on 14 occasions (W6 D4 L4)

The balance is made up of 5 sides from Tier 2 (3 of them being Barnsley :zzzzz:) and 30 from either L1 or L2 (:zzzzz: :zzzzz:)

Back in the day we'd thump non league teams, such as Kings Lynn 9-0 & Brentwood 10-1.

I'd nearly forgotten about them! :'(

God I went to both the Kingstonian and Scarborough games. They were dark days to be a Southend fan. The football was absolutely awful and I don't think I've ever been so cold in a football ground. To come home numb with both defeat and the cold and then see their **** of a manager on MOTD afterwards. Can anyone remember who Kingstonian's manager was at the time? I seem to remember he was well known in the lower leagues.

I saw both the Kings Lynn and Brentwood games.... ahh, happy days indeed

Yeah, both in 1968, 1st and 2nd rounds 9-0 then 10-1, then travelled to Swindon and won 2-0 before going to Mansfield and losing 2-1, IIRC that season we had the highest aggregate score of any side in the Cup, 22 goals, but were out by 25th Jan 69!

The days of true romance in the Cup, just doesn't feel quite the same these days.
Loved the fact that ties like Leeds, in their glory days, v Liverpool would go through two or three replays with extra-time before they could be seperated, even the Final could go to replays. Nowadays, with footballers probably the fittest they've ever been and we're allowed one replay with extra-time and then penalties in case the Premiershite superstars get 'over-tired', poor dears!

Dear cockles,

i remember standing in the west stand at the north bank end watching harlow's equaliser flying in to the south bank goal - quiet spectacular if memory serves (but then this was 30ish years ago (?)). any way i applauded :'(the harlow goal as i was convinced that this would spur the blue boys out of their complacency and on to victory.

Whoops!

:omg:

was defeat really my fault?

Contriet of Southend

Yeah, both in 1968, 1st and 2nd rounds 9-0 then 10-1, then travelled to Swindon and won 2-0 before going to Mansfield and losing 2-1, IIRC that season we had the highest aggregate score of any side in the Cup, 22 goals, but were out by 25th Jan 69!

The days of true romance in the Cup, just doesn't feel quite the same these days.
Loved the fact that ties like Leeds, in their glory days, v Liverpool would go through two or three replays with extra-time before they could be seperated, even the Final could go to replays. Nowadays, with footballers probably the fittest they've ever been and we're allowed one replay with extra-time and then penalties in case the Premiershite superstars get 'over-tired', poor dears!

...and Mansfield went on to thump Scum Ham 3-0 in the next round. :'(

Dear cockles,

i remember standing in the west stand at the north bank end watching harlow's equaliser flying in to the south bank goal - quiet spectacular if memory serves (but then this was 30ish years ago (?)). any way i applauded :'(the harlow goal as i was convinced that this would spur the blue boys out of their complacency and on to victory.

Whoops!

:omg:

was defeat really my fault?

Contriet of Southend

1978/79 I think, and if memory serves Harlow beat Leicester in the next round. I can't be arsed to check, but if they didn't win they certainly gave them a run for their money.

The 2 defeats to Yeovil were way before i was born, i went to the Harlow home game
Ahh. but we got our revenge by beating them in the early 80's.

God I went to both the Kingstonian and Scarborough games. They were dark days to be a Southend fan. The football was absolutely awful and I don't think I've ever been so cold in a football ground. To come home numb with both defeat and the cold and then see their **** of a manager on MOTD afterwards. Can anyone remember who Kingstonian's manager was at the time? I seem to remember he was well known in the lower leagues.
Probably Geoff Chapple - he was around at the time. Bit of a gobby twit as I recall.

1978/79 I think, and if memory serves Harlow beat Leicester in the next round. I can't be arsed to check, but if they didn't win they certainly gave them a run for their money.

Beat Leicester 1-0 before bowing out 4-3 at Vicarage Road if my memory serves me H ..

Such is the fate of the cup that in January of one year we are holding the European champions to a draw but a few short months later we are turned over by Tottenham Newtown :'(

Back