• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Facebook *NEW* Security

pickledseal

cowboy
Total joke.

I used to be able to hide my profile picture from everyone except my friends.
I used to be able to block everyone from adding me as a friend, if I wanted to add them I would.

I can no longer do these things as apparently my profile picture is PUBLIC INFORMATION and that it is no longer possible to stop friends of friends adding you as a friend.

As a teacher, this is a nightmare... especially as some our support staff have students as friends and have me on their friend list. I think they will lose that status pretty soon (they are already on VERY limited view).

Why are Facebook forcing you to be more public? What's their gain?

Really annoyed about this.

If you don't know, as of today, Facebook will automatically index all your info on Google, which allows everyone to view it. To change this option, go to Settings --> Privacy Settings --> Search --> then UN-CLICK the box that says 'Allow indexing'. Facebook kept this one quiet. Copy and paste onto your status for all your friends.

If you don't know, as of today, Facebook will automatically index all your info on Google, which allows everyone to view it. To change this option, go to Settings --> Privacy Settings --> Search --> then UN-CLICK the box that says 'Allow indexing'. Facebook kept this one quiet. Copy and paste onto your status for all your friends.

Thanks for that, will do.

Total joke.

I used to be able to hide my profile picture from everyone except my friends.
I used to be able to block everyone from adding me as a friend, if I wanted to add them I would.

I can no longer do these things as apparently my profile picture is PUBLIC INFORMATION and that it is no longer possible to stop friends of friends adding you as a friend.

As a teacher, this is a nightmare... especially as some our support staff have students as friends and have me on their friend list. I think they will lose that status pretty soon (they are already on VERY limited view).

Why are Facebook forcing you to be more public? What's their gain?

Really annoyed about this.

Money, simple as that.

By allowing search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing etc to be able to crawl (index) your personal information, Facebook will have an even bigger exposure on the search engines. This in turn makes them more attractive, to sponsors and advertisers etc, as they will get their ads seen by a lot more people. It also enables the advertiser to target certain people, easier.

Not to mention how much Facebook's user database is worth. If Facebook can get away with selling your info on to third party's they will, using any devious loopholes available. Allegedly of course.

I think not only is there the element of commerciality there (as mentioned in terms of selling 3rd party info), I also think there might be the fact that Facebook cannot cope with as many users as it has now got and so they are trying to lessen the experience in the hope a proportion of people will close their accounts.

Some weekends/evenings FB is just so slow as a site. This is both online (using different setups) and via mobile internet.

Money, simple as that.

By allowing search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing etc to be able to crawl (index) your personal information, Facebook will have an even bigger exposure on the search engines. This in turn makes them more attractive, to sponsors and advertisers etc, as they will get their ads seen by a lot more people. It also enables the advertiser to target certain people, easier.

Not to mention how much Facebook's user database is worth. If Facebook can get away with selling your info on to third party's they will, using any devious loopholes available. Allegedly of course.

I get all that, but what difference does it make if my profile pic shows? I'd rather have my details sold to a company than have my Y9 students see my profile picture and persistently try to add me as a friend! (and I have tried reporting it to Facebook as harassment, but they said Friend requests can be ignored so it is not!) *GRRR* still angry!

I think not only is there the element of commerciality there (as mentioned in terms of selling 3rd party info), I also think there might be the fact that Facebook cannot cope with as many users as it has now got and so they are trying to lessen the experience in the hope a proportion of people will close their accounts.

Some weekends/evenings FB is just so slow as a site. This is both online (using different setups) and via mobile internet.

Surely they are not trying to get rid of peeps?! Why start with the teachers ;)

...persistently try to add me as a friend! (and I have tried reporting it to Facebook as harassment, but they said Friend requests can be ignored so it is not!) *GRRR* still angry!

Best way around this I've found is if people keep trying to add you after you've declined, is to just leave their request unanswered. They cannot then request you again, nor see any more of your profile.

Back