• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Facts , A bit of help please

Firestorm

Pedant
The title of another thread , being factual, made me wonder about what is acceptable on this forum, or any other for that matter, regarding facts.

I am , by nature , pedantic, often to the point of distraction. My wife often says that I am borderline OCD when it comes to facts and details, as I often look things I read, see on the TV, etc to substantiate what has been said before I accept it (like whenever I hear one of those "true stories", I check on Snopes to see if its an urban myth) .
I joke that I don't read much fiction, because its "just made up" , yes I do have a bit of a problem at times :blush:

Now this is where I am struggling a bit , should I be expecting others to be accomodating ? If someone says "I think", I realise its an opinion and therefore hear it accordingly, if they don't should my first assumption be its an opinion or should I assume that as they have not stated its an opinion that they are relaying it as a fact....

I have been mulling this one over in the past few days , particularly after the Strikes thread, where many links purporting to support a fact were just someone elses opinion and to be honest I got a tad confused.

Or should I just get a grip and take everything with the proverbial pinch of salt, as I am aware that requests for "supporting facts" are bloody irritating for a number of people on here.

And , if anyone its thinking it, its not Asbergers , but at times it does look and feel a little like "Asbergers lite"...

"Asbergers lite"...

Is that a beer?

This forum gets bogged down with opinions of every shade of politics. I honestly think some people don't actually believe what they write, some do it to generate conflict. Even some of these "facts" can be manipulated to back up a person's argument.

Is that a beer?
I honestly think some people don't actually believe what they write, some do it to generate conflict.

Oooh, scandalous accusation made at Lord Football there MK

I always think that Aspergers sounds like it should be a collective name for a group of colonic irrigation therapists...

I always think that Aspergers sounds like it should be a collective name for a group of colonic irrigation therapists...
Cleary that's just full of **** ;-) .

I do agree with Firestorm . The purpose of "facts " i was taught (and dispite what people believe I went to university) is to help create the basis of your argument . Opinions are great however if you have no knowledge or any corroborating "evidence", then its just the view you came up with.

There are certainly many people that present opinions as facts when there is no credible evidence to back it up. As firestorm pointed out, in the Strike thread, and also the Riot thread in particular.

Unfortunately with an open forum you are always going to get that, it is similar to the Radio phone-in where someone tries to present an opinion as a fact. It is also a tactic used in politics to undermine an argument or opponent.

For example, this quote from republican Michele Bachmann on Obama's visit to India "The president of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day."

Bachmann was never able to back up the claim, but the damage was done.

There are certainly many people that present opinions as facts when there is no credible evidence to back it up. As firestorm pointed out, in the Strike thread, and also the Riot thread in particular.

Unfortunately with an open forum you are always going to get that, it is similar to the Radio phone-in where someone tries to present an opinion as a fact. It is also a tactic used in politics to undermine an argument or opponent.

For example, this quote from republican Michele Bachmann on Obama's visit to India "The president of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day."

Bachmann was never able to back up the claim, but the damage was done.

Well, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Good thread Garry but the burning question must be WHAT UNI DID OSY GO TO and what degree and mark was gained,the truth is out there.

even if you could you wouldn't spell it right, numbnuts
When trying to make a point ... it helps to actually well make one ?
All I can take from this is you believe my testicles are either cold or anaesthetised ?

Also if we're being pedantic . Only one comma, and no full stop ?

Back