• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm not totally enamoured with Phils performance right now , but if you read this board last week , many comments were along the lines of :

Rookie keeper is risky , we really need Dan back !
Cassidy isn't scoring , change it.
Deegan must play !
CB's were shocking last week !
We really miss Worrall.

Now apart from the possible shock of Bolger above Thompson or Prosser , Phil basically did all those things.

Result ? , apart from getting best 4-2 !

Phil has lost the plot !
6 changes , the man is crazy !

As I say , I'm not overly pleased myself this weekend , but all a bit too much IMO.

From what I heard on the radio , at 2-1 there was only one likely winner.
They got a pen and the momentum ( as it does in most games around the world ) swung back to the team who were behind.
We still pushed for the win and got caught on the break twice.

Lets have some balance people.
Not the greatest hour in our history , but not outplayed for 90 mins and not the team a million miles away from the one we were all asking for.

Agreed.

The team he put out was the one many would have gone for, I certainly did.

The team was the right team, it just wasnt the right result. Paul Clark has said it was decided by substitutions and that certainly seems the case.

The irony is that people complain he sits back and is too defensive and the substitutes (with hindsight) were far too attacking.

Last edited:
I feel that despite two completely different footballing styles, the outcome from both Sturrock and Brown has been largely the same. Leaving aside the JPT competition that I simply couldn't give a monkeys about, the two regimes have got us to the same place, there or thereabouts, each season since Tilson departed.

Maybe it's just the way things go for the average football supporter, but I do feel that both Brown and Sturrock seemed to take us on these wonderful runs which get us sitting up and believing by producing some fine results. Then, for some reason go into this inexplicable slump right at the moment we might actually have a chance to jump into the top three, or cement our place in a certain position etc. I looked at Accrington, Stevenage and Carlisle and saw that as a perfect opportunity to grab 9 points and now we're looking at 3, at best.

Massively disappointing, but it's a bit soon to start baying for blood, and I'm certainly not going to be calling for Sturrock to be re-inserted, whom in my mind had run his course. PB is the manager and we have to take things into context that we are still only 5 points from the autos and 4 points from dropping out of the Play-offs and whilst that is the case, we can remain optimistic.

I think if we make play-offs and give a good account of ourselves then PB will get another season, but he'll get the chop if we miss them.

Is this a thread about man love for Luke? or is that a reason for your unexpressed views on Phil?
Still off topic but you can't seriously believe Luke would/should be a nailed on starter for us, or that he would cut it in Div1 (if we ever made it there)?
What has league one got to do with it. What matters is NOW, and at this point many of us feel that Prosser is the best CB we have. I have said this so many times, look at how many goals we concede due to individual errors (including when we were winning which for some reason people choose to gloss over) and then look at how many errors Prosser makes that end up with the opposition scoring

I'm not totally enamoured with Phils performance right now , but if you read this board last week , many comments were along the lines of :

Rookie keeper is risky , we really need Dan back !
Cassidy isn't scoring , change it.
Deegan must play !
CB's were shocking last week !
We really miss Worrall.

Now apart from the possible shock of Bolger above Thompson or Prosser , Phil basically did all those things.

Sure, the attacking moves - which should have been made before last week's defeat, let alone before Saturday's defeat - were the moves people wanted. And those moves worked. We scored twice (hallelujah!).

As for the defensive moves, nobody wanted Bolger in (I think people were also shocked that Binnom-Williams was on the bench ahead of Prosser).

And that team was drawing 2-2, which would have been an ok result. But we lost by conceding a further two goals whilst scoring no more AFTER Brown's subs when he weakened the team by taking off our arguably our best and most experienced forward and midfielder. A week after Brown was blaming a lack of experience.

I think it was entirely legitimate to call for the return of Bentley (who's been the keeper all season) and to change the central defence. What's disruptive is making two changes to central defence particularly when the centre-halves hadn't ever played together, the left-back hadn't ever played with the left-centre-half and the right-back hadn't played with the right-centre-half for 2 months. Far less disruptive to put Barrett or Prosser alongside Thompson. Thompson and White had been playing together in recent months so you've only one player to adjust to rather than everyone adjusting.

The irony is that people complain he sits back and is too defensive and the substitutes (with hindsight) were far too attacking.

Completely agree. This is how some select fans were dying for us to play. I've always been a fan of our solid displays away from home which has got us so many excellent away results this season.

Plays Bolger over Prosser because 'Bolger' is a Brown (paid for) signing, whereas Prosser is from Sturrocks era and is not one of Mr. Browns Boys.

Brown wouldn't want to be seen as making bad signings by the chairman would he!

Stinks of the Clifford situation to me, and sad to say that I think that it will probably be goodbye to Prosser and Barnard soon.

Back