• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
Just a note on the commitment the club has shown today.

Assuming we are still within our budget (or at least have solid plans to be - Pato going etc) then I say hats off to Brady and Sturrock for continuing to add to the squad.

Ok, Leonard and Kalala arent going to break the bank - and I assume Dickinson isnt going to be on THAT much, but even so, coupled with Harris, Johnson and NDiaye, thats still a sizeable influx of quality bodies.

We are always quick to chastise those 'upstairs' - but I'm sure PS has pushed for this and again, credit the club for backing him.

Really happy with this news today!

Just a note on the commitment the club has shown today.

Assuming we are still within our budget (or at least have solid plans to be - Pato going etc) then I say hats off to Brady and Sturrock for continuing to add to the squad.

Ok, Leonard and Kalala arent going to break the bank - and I assume Dickinson isnt going to be on THAT much, but even so, coupled with Harris, Johnson and NDiaye, thats still a sizeable influx of quality bodies.

We are always quick to chastise those 'upstairs' - but I'm sure PS has pushed for this and again, credit the club for backing him.

Really happy with this news today!

I agree! but then you would expect that with Brady with all his past football experience with Arsenal, clearly a football man on the board that knows what he is talking about?

.... also, I'm fully expecting at least 1 departure (plus hopefully Pato) - most likely Grant?

Also, questions can now be raised about our front line. Pato aside, we are top heavy and I'd have a lot more respect for PS if he released Blair now. Cannot see it happening - and I still think Blair is ok, but financially it makes no sense to keep him on now?

It's just unreal - who would have thought that just one year after relegation and losing virtually our entire squad we would be in this position. Not only did PS work miracles in putting together some very good L2 players last season at short notice he has now managed to bring in:

* Harris
* Johnson
* N'Diaye (OK needs to get to grips with L2 but there is a player in there!)
* Kalala
* Dickinson
* Leonard

With the likes of Barker, Mohsni, Grant (for now), Ferdinand, Hall, Corr etc already at the club we really should have a good chance of a play-off place bare minimum this year if not a tilt at the top 3. Roll on Hereford, can't wait! Kudos to PS and TB - if it doesn't work this season it won't be for the want of trying!**

** Just hope we are within our financial budget though, would be good now to hopefully get rid of Pato and send some of the youngsters out on loan.....

PS said the challenge was to build the side from scratch, well congrats Paul I think you've done it now and you've done it brilliantly IMHO.

.... also, I'm fully expecting at least 1 departure (plus hopefully Pato) - most likely Grant?

Also, questions can now be raised about our front line. Pato aside, we are top heavy and I'd have a lot more respect for PS if he released Blair now. Cannot see it happening - and I still think Blair is ok, but financially it makes no sense to keep him on now?

I understand it should be a football decision but it would be harsh to criticise PS for not releasing his son, particularly as he does IMHO bring something to the table in terms of his play. Blair can and probably will be useful at times this season, particularly away from home in a 4-3-3 (OK mainly from the bench but he does give a good option if we're hanging onto a lead or a point and are under the cosh due to his ball retention and ability to link play). I'm more than happy to keep Blair, and he's probably not on a lot anyway. The player we surely MUST get rid of is Pato now......

I agree! but then you would expect that with Brady with all his past football experience with Arsenal, clearly a football man on the board that knows what he is talking about?

Past experience with Arsenal? what are you talking about?

The board have also been shrewd with the contracts - Leonard, Kalala and Dickinson have all been given one year deals with the option for a further year - so if the signings don't come off we can just get rid of them at the end of the season and won't have another Paterson situation on our hands

The board have also been shrewd with the contracts - Leonard, Kalala and Dickinson have all been given one year deals with the option for a further year - so if the signings don't come off we can just get rid of them at the end of the season and won't have another Paterson situation on our hands

Was gonna post exactly the same.

And more importantly, if they have a good season we can invoke the option and hold on to them without having to up their wages.

I would be astounded if we are still within budget!

Well then prepare to be astounded, as we are.

Shows how much better we are run now. That we can put together a squad of this calibre and not have sleepless nights about it.

The 6 we have brought in, are all on very tight contracts in terms of wages and length. A few years back we probably would of thrown £2,000+ a week at them on 3 year deals. Not anymore! and Brady & Sturrock should be praised for that.

That said, we obviously need to get rid of a few. But, it's not because we are massively over budget. It's just being prudent. As well as keeping "harmony" amongst the squad.

Last edited:
Well then prepare to be astounded, as we are.

Shows how much better we are run now. That we can put together a squad of this calibre and not have sleepless nights about it.

The 6 we have brought in, are all on very tight contracts in terms of wages and length. A few years back we probably would of thrown £2,000+ a week at them on 3 year deals. Not anymore! and Brady & Sturrock should be praised for that.

That said, we obviously need to get rid of a few. But, it's not because we are massively over budget. It's just being prudent. As well as keeping "harmony" amongst the squad.

I hope you're right! We are being more sensible with length of contracts agreed. Harris is on a 3 year deal though!

Seems we are just blindly accepting that the money is there now, I guess we will find out as the season rolls on and we pay the wages on time every month (or not)!

Back