• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fingers crossed - today's going to be a good day

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Well, it's Wednesday, and I think I can now reveal exactly what I've been dropping hints about for the last week or so.

Some of you will remember this story which has run in different guises for a month or so
http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/News/LeagueOneNewsDetail/0,,10794~1464638,00.html

and as you probably are aware there are two schools that I'm connected with. It just so happens that the one I DON'T work in, has been teaching French at KS2 for the last 4 years, and we have a French student over each year. Ever one to seize an opportunity, I suggested to the HT that we invite the French boys in, and several phone calls and emails (now you know why I needed to get hold of Scriv!) later, today is the day.

We're expecting them in this afternoon, not sure yet whether any of the rest of the players or Tilly will be coming with them, but hopefully this'll be good for the kids - who will be asking them questions in French - and them - they'll be replying in English. Their tutor is coming as well hopefully to make sure they don't use any inappropriate language! I'll see if I can get any news out of Jeff!

We also have coaches provided through SUSCT in this evening, as we do every Wednesday, for coaching so who knows, perhaps they may be persuaded (or Laurent anyway) to show off a few skills.

Hopefully I'll have an update for you later - the Echo are supposed to be sending a reporter and photographer as well! Fingers crossed
fingers_crossed.gif

Last edited:
Well, it's Wednesday, and I think I can now reveal exactly what I've been dropping hints about for the last week or so.

Some of you will remember this story which has run in different guises for a month or so
http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/News/LeagueOneNewsDetail/0,,10794~1464638,00.html

and as you probably are aware there are two schools that I'm connected with. It just so happens that the one I DON'T work in, has been teaching French at KS2 for the last 4 years, and we have a French student over each year. Ever one to seize an opportunity, I suggested to the HT that we invite the French boys in, and several phone calls and emails (now you know why I needed to get hold of Scriv!) later, today is the day.

We're expecting them in this afternoon, not sure yet whether any of the rest of the players or Tilly will be coming with them, but hopefully this'll be good for the kids - who will be asking them questions in French - and them - they'll be replying in English. Their tutor is coming as well hopefully to make sure they don't use any inappropriate language! I'll see if I can get any news out of Jeff!

We also have coaches provided through SUSCT in this evening, as we do every Wednesday, for coaching so who knows, perhaps they may be persuaded (or Laurent anyway) to show off a few skills.

Hopefully I'll have an update for you later - the Echo are supposed to be sending a reporter and photographer as well! Fingers crossed
fingers_crossed.gif

I know you can't tar all French with the same brush but the smelly little spotty **** we had over in the 80's for a exchange swap , Graffetied everywhere and also ****ed all over the bed sheets and wall of my sisters room that she kindly gave up for 3 nights . still makes me chuckle these days , i would of given him a slap but was only 8 and he was a good few years older than me .

anyway Good luck ; )

and this is for dinner.....

today's hot choice is Chicken Pimpernel in a Scarlet Sauce, Scarlet Chicken in a Pimpernel Sauce, or Huge Suspicious-Looking Sausages in a Scarlet Pimpernel Sauce.

I know you can't tar all French with the same brush but the smelly little spotty **** we had over in the 80's for a exchange swap , Graffetied everywhere and also ****ed all over the bed sheets and wall of my sisters room that she kindly gave up for 3 nights . still makes me chuckle these days , i would of given him a slap but was only 8 and he was a good few years older than me .

anyway Good luck ; )

Q: How do you know when a Frenchman has been to your house?

A: Someone's been through your bins and the cat's pregnant.

Q: How do you know when a Frenchman has been to your house?

A: Someone's been through your bins and the cat's pregnant.

Mate , my Cats got class you now , wouldn't touch a french dude if you paid her , thats what bringing her up in Benfleet has done to her , before when we lived in Westcliff , she was anyones ..............dirty Bitch !!!

and this is for dinner.....

today's hot choice is Chicken Pimpernel in a Scarlet Sauce, Scarlet Chicken in a Pimpernel Sauce, or Huge Suspicious-Looking Sausages in a Scarlet Pimpernel Sauce.

Not a clue what you're meaning there mate! Something along the "we seek him here, we seek him there" lines?

hasnt Jeff gone back to Pompey though?

Evidently not!

Afternoon went off very well, pleased to report both lads turned up as promised with their tutor. Chris Phillips, from the Echo, and one of their photographers had arrived nice and early and enjoyed one of the Head's little "chats" prior to the lads' arrival.

I have to say, Jeff actually has a pretty good command of the English language, so when he pulls the "dumb Frenchman" thing on the field, I get the idea it's pretty much of an act. He has a great sense of humour, and was very much at ease with everyone, Francis is a little less confident and allows Jeff to take the lead, but can join in showing he understands - for instance, a couple of times the Head asked which one had been at Portsmouth/injured his hamstring/played in Germany - both pointed to each other with dead pan expressions, then laughed.

We took them through the hall where pantomime rehearsal was going on, and they were introduced to everyone, then we went through to the area set up with 2 children from each year group and the French student. Jeff was right in there, sitting next to the kids, Francis needed to be drawn into things but once they got going it all went well. The kids asked them simple questions to begin with, and these developed according to their ability. The lads answered in English, but occasionally in French if it needed clarification through either their tutor or the French student. One of the boys asked if they would be playing against Chelsea, not sure if Francis understood as he said no, but Jeff said it depended on if the coach picked him or not - which sounded encouraging to me.

Jeff was doing that trick celebrities often do when they try and embarrass kids asking about their boyfriend or girlfriend, the kids all thought this was funny! One boy who is at the Centre of Excellence was brought over to meet them, we did lots of press photos and I made sure we got a TBV flag in some of them - whether or not it gets used is NOT up to me though Smiffy! I stayed out of these, but the school took some later, don't know if I'll get them and as I hate photos anyway I wouldn't hold your breath! They then did loads of autographs for the kids - think there might be a few being hawked around the playground tomorrow!

Photo and a brief story should be in tomorrow's Echo, with a follow up story next week. Chris Phillips did quite a lengthy interview with them both once the kids had gone back to the hall, and at the end we walked back through the hall where rehearsals were still in full swing. Jeff joined in with Greased Lightning to the amusement of the children (those on stage very creditably carried on!), then at the end walked round all the staff and shook their hands.

It was a lovely afternoon, they've been invited back at some point further on in their lessons. I'm really grateful to Maria at SUFC and Scriv for their assistance in setting this up, and of course, to the lads themselves. :)

Last edited:
Great initiative Kay and sounds like the big kids enjoyed equally as much as the children.

Good effort to get TBV flag in pics but why u so camera shy then ?

hasnt Jeff gone back to Pompey though?

You will hear something in the next couple of days ;) You heard it here first. :P

He is currently staying with Laurent untill he knows his future but he hopes he can stay where he is.

You will hear something in the next couple of days ;) You heard it here first. :P

He is currently staying with Laurent untill he knows his future but he hopes he can stay where he is.

Or on the OS last week.

Well done on getting the club to do this OBL, I've been e-mailing the club for the past 3 weeks trying to organise interviews for my dissertation and haven't got far at all.

Last edited:
Photo inside back page of today's Echo and the exclusive with Jeff was part of the interview done at school yesterday, the "breaking news" story about wrapping up the contract was obviously followed up by Chris Phillips as a result.

Feature copied here for those of you that don't see the Echo
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/3949270.Les_Bleus_pop_into_to_parlez_Francais/
It is the picture with the flag, but unfortunately it's been cut off! The little girl at the front was holding it in front of her!

Back