• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First Gigs

Jam_Man

Life President
Was looking at the Gigs thread and saw someone say they wish they could have gone to the Damned gig and got me thinking about the first gigs I went to.

Was only just turned 16 for the first one, seems young to have travelled all the way to London with just a mate these days!

First three:

1. Queen, Wembley - July'86 (with INXS. The Alarm and Status Quo)
2. Iron Maiden, Hammersmith Odeon - '86
3. Meat Loaf, Wembley Arena, March'87

Possibly Haircut 100 at the Lyceum 1982?

But preceding that Duran Duran as a live act in a dance club back up/warm up in Birmingham circa 1979; before they were famous etc.

Rolling Stones, Wembley 1990 for my first mega huge gig, backed by INXS IIRC.

God knows, me and some mates used to go up into Camden and just go into the Marquee and catch whoever was on. The first few gigs before I found taste would have been dodgy soft-metal acts like Thunder or Little Angels....I did have a soft spot for Marillion and I did see the Steve Rothery version of the band back in (probably) 88/89.

Saw a Beatles tribute band at Reading University around 1996/97, but what I've always regarded as my first 'proper' gig was Suede in February 1997, at the Reading Rivermead, when they were touring 'Coming Up'.

God knows, me and some mates used to go up into Camden and just go into the Marquee and catch whoever was on. The first few gigs before I found taste would have been dodgy soft-metal acts like Thunder or Little Angels....I did have a soft spot for Marillion and I did see the Steve Rothery version of the band back in (probably) 88/89.

Wasn't it the Roundhouse at Camden ?, The Marquee was in Wardour street when I went there.

First Gig , Slade , twice in a week in 74 Kursaal and Hammersmith

8 November 1975 - The Kursaal - Dr Feelgood.

I was 16 at the time and couldn't have chosen a better first gig. We were up on the balcony of the Kursaal so must have arrived early! This gig was recorded and filmed and became the B side of the 'Stupidity' album which was released the following year and went straight into the UK album charts at Number one - the first live LP to do so.

UA also released a film of the gig which we dutifully went along to the Odeon to see when they showed it. A shorter version of the film is still available on DVD.

Here's a taster of that very gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzF0AETdRF8

There were a load of great bands played the Kursaal in the '70's but unfortunately my limited Saturday job wages meant that I had to be very selective about what I went to. I did however manage to see great bands such as Thin Lizzy and AC/DC there before it closed.

I was 16 at the time and couldn't have chosen a better first gig. We were up on the balcony of the Kursaal so must have arrived early! This gig was recorded and filmed and became the B side of the 'Stupidity' album which was released the following year and went straight into the UK album charts at Number one - the first live LP to do so.

UA also released a film of the gig which we dutifully went along to the Odeon to see when they showed it. A shorter version of the film is still available on DVD.

There were a load of great bands played the Kursaal in the '70's but unfortunately my limited Saturday job wages meant that I had to be very selective about what I went to. I did however manage to see great bands such as Thin Lizzy and AC/DC there before it closed.

Never liked their music but blimey they knew how to perform.

Saw them at Crocs 79 , recorded one side of the "as it appens" LP that night

Saw them at Crocs 79 , recorded one side of the "as it appens" LP that night

'Putting Rayleigh on the map'. Yeah, I was there for that one too - they didn't turn the volume up until after they had finished recording!

Last edited:
Back