• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane First Match, First Programme

tsbl2000

Left Back in the changing room
SUFC 1966001.jpgWhat was your first match and do you still have the programme? Mine was our first game in Division 4. My real interest in football started when England won the World Cup and the father of a school friend offered to take me to a 'real match'. That was our 2-1 win over Bradford City and I was hooked..... Incidentally, Ray Smith, No.9 in the programme, didn't start that game but the cultured Eddie Firmani did (he and Tony Beanland scored).SUFC 1966002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bradfords Steve Ingle played for us the following season.

I think out of all those adverts.... the pram shop is still going although under a different name. Just looked and Wellfare is still there although called BDL.

My first game and programme sadly since misplaced ( if anyone has a copy ) i would gladly purchase...
Southport at home april 1977 i believe ..was only 6 ...hooked everysince

Bradfords Steve Ingle played for us the following season.

I think out of all those adverts.... the pram shop is still going although under a different name. Just looked and Wellfare is still there although called BDL.
Apologies for being a touch pedantic, but Steve Ingle didn’t play for us in the following season, it was the 1966/67 season when he made his 14 appearances for the club.

My First match was Southend v Lincoln Boxing Day 1971. Biggest crowd for ages attended (15,434) and Southend ran out 2-1 winners with both goals coming from an unlikely, Bernie Lewis. I became a massive Billy Best fan that day and from then on I WAS Billy Best in the playground footy. Didnt appreciate the other kids tugging on my moustache though.
Future Manager Dave Smith played for Lincoln that day alongside a Mr Graham Taylor who later managed England.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 8
My First match was Southend v Lincoln Boxing Day 1971. Biggest crowd for ages attended (15,434) and Southend ran out 2-1 winners with both goals coming from an unlikely, Bernie Lewis. I became a massive Billy Best fan that day and from then on I WAS Billy Best in the playground footy. Didnt appreciate the other kids tugging on my moustache though.
Future Manager Dave Smith played for Lincoln that day alongside a Mr Graham Taylor who later managed England.
I saw that game too. Happy days!

First match, Good Friday April 20th, 1962 Home to Notts County, won 3-2. I stood in the corner where the old South Bank met the West Stand. I know the crowd was over 8,000 but can't remember any of the details about the match itself, other than I was then 'hooked'. I don't recall if I had a programme bought for me, and have never seen one for that game.

View attachment 30564What was your first match and do you still have the programme? Mine was our first game in Division 4. My real interest in football started when England won the World Cup and the father of a school friend offered to take me to a 'real match'. That was our 2-1 win over Bradford City and I was hooked..... Incidentally, Ray Smith, No.9 in the programme, didn't start that game but the cultured Eddie Firmani did (he and Tony Beanland scored).View attachment 30565
Bycel Metals is my Grandads business which became CN Metals which is still in the family

Back