• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane First Match, First Programme

Grandad took me to my first match in November 1964, not long after we moved to Leigh from sunny Stockport. We played Colchester and won 6-3 if my memory is correct. Stood on the north west corner. Can't remember having a programme
I remember that game, and the preceding home game v Bristol Rovers which we also won by the same score. I'm also pretty sure that both games followed the same scoring pattern - conceding an early goal, recovering to be 4-1 up at half time and then finally winning 6-3. And I can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday ............?🤔

A Tuesday September night under the lights in 1988..can't remember much of the game apart from we lost 2-1 but the start of the rollercoaster ride

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1582288977771.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582288977771.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 20
  • FB_IMG_1582288985632.jpg
    FB_IMG_1582288985632.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 20
First match, Good Friday April 20th, 1962 Home to Notts County, won 3-2. I stood in the corner where the old South Bank met the West Stand. I know the crowd was over 8,000 but can't remember any of the details about the match itself, other than I was then 'hooked'. I don't recall if I had a programme bought for me, and have never seen one for that game.
1961 / 62 Season
Good Friday 20th April 1962
Southend Utd 3 -2 Notts County
Southend scorers: Jones, Brand, McKinven

Team: Threadgold, Fryatt, Anderson, Bentley, Watson, Lee, Wall, Jones, Brand, McKinven, Kellard.
Attendance 8,310

Grandad took me to my first match in November 1964, not long after we moved to Leigh from sunny Stockport. We played Colchester and won 6-3 if my memory is correct. Stood on the north west corner. Can't remember having a programme
Your memory is spot on!!!

1964 / 65 Season
Saturday 7th November 1964

Southend United 6 - 3 Colchester United
Southend Scorers Gilfillan (4) McKinven (2)

Team: McKechnie, Costello, Neil, Bentley, Watson, Bradbury, Slater, Smillie, Smith, Gilfillan, McKinven.
Attendance: 6,915

First game V Stockport (H) 21/12/58 - only 6 at the time - cannot remember a thing about it - apparently we won 3-1 - have not the programme - sold all my Blues programmes some years back :Cry:

Your memory is spot on!!!

1964 / 65 Season
Saturday 7th November 1964

Southend United 6 - 3 Colchester United
Southend Scorers Gilfillan (4) McKinven (2)

Team: McKechnie, Costello, Neil, Bentley, Watson, Bradbury, Slater, Smillie, Smith, Gilfillan, McKinven.
Attendance: 6,915
Thanks for the info. I remember that the only scorers were Gilfillan and McKinven, but thought it was the other way around. Anyway what an introduction to the Shrimpers, an impressive derby win!

A Tuesday September night under the lights in 1988..can't remember much of the game apart from we lost 2-1 but the start of the rollercoaster ride
That's some Preston side, think they were on a promotion high back then, but another decade spent in the old third division.

Remember all of ours, except keeper Eric Steele, don't know why, was he with us long?

That's some Preston side, think they were on a promotion high back then, but another decade spent in the old third division.

Remember all of ours, except keeper Eric Steele, don't know why, was he with us long?
In all honesty I didn't know much about him as a Blue, not sure he was there very long. Think he went on to be Man City goalkeeper coach then within England set up.

Do remember him and Dick bate getting a pig load of abuse though that night from the North

Bobby Gilfillan got 4 that day, with John McKinven the other two. You were one of 6915 in the crowd :-)

1961 / 62 Season
Good Friday 20th April 1962
Southend Utd 3 -2 Notts County
Southend scorers: Jones, Brand, McKinven

Team: Threadgold, Fryatt, Anderson, Bentley, Watson, Lee, Wall, Jones, Brand, McKinven, Kellard.
Attendance 8,310
Two players at the opposite ends of their careers. Jimmy Fryatt playing as a defender I think before becoming a prolific goalscorer up in the North West. And the old warhorse Ray Brand, who I think was a CB for Millwall but playing up front for Blues. Remember Ray getting lots of stick at a Blues away match at Palace.

Bit more recent than some, but SUFC vs Cambridge United in August 2002 with Tes Bramble on the front cover.

2-1 win with a Jay Smith brace on his home debut. Actually just bought another copy off eBay to get framed last week.

1704395442549.png

First game was Halloween night, 1980. I was 8. We beat Stockport 2-0. I always used to get a programme until I bought my first Roots Hall Roar (late 80s I think, maybe early 90s?). All my old programmes are at my folks' house in Leigh.

s-l1600.png

Last edited:
My first game was the league Cup game at home to Derby County on October 11th 1988.My uncle took me and when he passed away 5 years ago my brother in law got a copy off Ebay and it was buried with him

August 28, 1961: Southend 2-2 Portsmouth, and watched by 12,395! I only remember John McKinven's goal in the South Bank stand.
BUT the first game I was allowed to go on my own was Southend 1-1 Bournemouth, and opening day, 1963-64.
I did have that prog signed but thought I had sold it along with my collection to a bankrupt called Andy Lines who lives on The Wirral.
He spent the money on expensive holidays rather than paying me. There were others to whom he owed thousands.
On E-Bay, this is the Blues v Pompey prog (£1.50) and the 63-64 game was an identical pocket sized edition.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 19.02.20.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-04 at 19.02.20.png
    462 KB · Views: 5
My first ever match at Roots Hall was the 6th. January 1962 (62 years on Saturday).
Southend United 2, Torquay United 1. Att: 5,998. (Lou Costello scored both Southend goals).
This was the season of the very small pocket blue programmes with a picture of Roots Hall on the front, however if you are currently looking for the above match programme it is just a single GREEN sheet which is similar in size to the reserve match programmes that were issued back then.

First game and prog..V Brentford 30.12.67...we won 1-0..late great Phil Chisnall.
First away game,Notts Co...4,05.68...lost 4-3
Got both progs framed and hanging on my wall here.But im not clever enough to put/print the progs on the Zone.Would be much appreciated if some one could

First game and prog..V Brentford 30.12.67...we won 1-0..late great Phil Chisnall.
First away game,Notts Co...4,05.68...lost 4-3
Got both progs framed and hanging on my wall here.But im not clever enough to put/print the progs on the Zone.Would be much appreciated if some one could

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 13
Vs Millwall, of all places away , 1966, lost 2-0, England was buzzing post the 4-2 win over the Krauts.

Went with my Dad and older cousin.

Doncaster Rovers home early Nov 68, debutants Chambers D and Gary Moore both scored in a 2-0 win, stood on the wonderful south bank, still have the programme, don't know how to upload, registered luddite.

Only 4 0r 5 of that team were good enough IMO, with Dick Bate!!!
🤣😆😅

Back