• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane First Match, First Programme

Vs Millwall, of all places away , 1966, lost 2-0, England was buzzing post the 4-2 win over the Krauts.

Went with my Dad and older cousin.

Doncaster Rovers home early Nov 68, debutants Chambers D and Gary Moore both scored in a 2-0 win, stood on the wonderful south bank, still have the programme, don't know how to upload, registered luddite.
Try this.... Will that do?SUFC002.jpg

My First match was Southend v Lincoln Boxing Day 1971. Biggest crowd for ages attended (15,434) and Southend ran out 2-1 winners with both goals coming from an unlikely, Bernie Lewis. I became a massive Billy Best fan that day and from then on I WAS Billy Best in the playground footy. Didnt appreciate the other kids tugging on my moustache though.
Future Manager Dave Smith played for Lincoln that day alongside a Mr Graham Taylor who later managed England.
I am sure it was not Dave Smith .

Following on from the very first post the last fixture of 1966 at Roots Hall and my first game, sadly goalless, but it didn't stop the enthusiasm for more, even 58 years later 😄

Have put this out before in the old photos thread & the programme sent to me by a kind shrimper on the zone, fairly certain my uncle Fred never bought proggies back in the day.

Front cover is Tony Beanland striking home v Aldershot in the previous home game, a 4-0 win!

Attachments

• 20240105_171906.jpg
    20240105_171906.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240105_171933.jpg
    20240105_171933.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240105_173531.jpg
    20240105_173531.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240105_171952.jpg
    20240105_171952.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 20
I’m always so jealous of those who remember their first game but love reading these threads. I have to be honest I have no idea or recollection but I know my Dad took me in the early 80s (probably 82/83 season) to my first game. My earliest memories though were watching Richard Cadette tear teams apart so around 85/86 when I truly became a Southend fan.

Back