• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First Southend Hatrick

DTS

The Business
Mine was (I think) the ledend that was Julian "Jinky" Hails away at Leicester. Not only was it my first Southend hatrick it was also possibly the most unlikely hatrick hero ever.

Who was your first hatrick hero? For some reason I think the bulk of people will have it as Tommy Mooney.....

DtS

Leon Cort against Boston relatively recently, 2002 - Mooney was just before my time and I was home-game only when Hails struck his, I remember listening to it on the radio though!

Don't know if this counts, but I do remember Julian Hails scoring a hat-trick at Filbert Street against Leicester City. I wasn't there however!

Mine was David Crown against Aldershot at home in a 5-0 win in 1989/90. We also beat them 5-0 away that season - and 10-1 the season after in the Leyland Daf!!!!
biggrin.gif

Pretty sure it was Tommy mooney against Oxford.

In actual fact, I haven't seen that many!

Off the top of my head:

Mooney vs Oxford
Hails vs Leicester
Cort vs Boston
Eastwood vs Swansea
Eastwood vs Bristol City

May be some I forgot, but can't think of them right now.

I've just checked and it was Cadette. Whether you count 4 goals as a hat-trick or not...I still had to wait over 2 seasons.

Billy Best vs Chester City 8/3/68 a 5-1 win
Billy Best vs Exeter 11/10/68 w 6-1
Billy Best & Gary Moore Kings Lynn 16/11/68 W 9-0
Billy Best & Gary Moore Brentwood 7/12/68 W 10-1
Billy Best vs Aldershot 7/4/69 W 4-2
Gary Moore vs Swansea 18/4/69 W 4-0

Six Hattricks in my second season...no wonder I got hooked !

Mine was Leon Hunter coming off the bench against Macclesfield at home in 2001. They were his only goals for the club and later that year he was released. Even by 2020, noone managed to beat his record.

Outside of Champo, it was Leon Cort's hattrick. Had to wait a long time for one!

Derrick Parker V Chester 79/80 Season

Southend won 4 -1

I think Ian Rush scored for Chester.

Eddie Clayton 3 on home debut i think, agaist Workington 7-0, still our record league win? dunno exactly when probably about 1970

My first hattrick was David Crown v Aldershot.

In 20 years of going to games I've only ever seen 3 Southend league hattricks. Mooney and Eastwood being the other two.

Plenty of hattricks have gone in the others end during that time - I think Watford have hit a hattrick of hattricks alone (Nogan, Kennedy and Blazely(sp?)), I think Lloyd Owusu had grabbed a couple of hattricks against us for Brentford, Iyseden Christie for Mansfield, Roger Boli for Walsall, Alun Armstrong for Darlington, Simon Sturridge for Stoke and I'm sure plenty of other players.

first one i remember was Richard Cadette against his old team borient on a Friday night.

i may probably have seen one prior to that during the clarke, outalakowski , stevie philips era but cannot remember it.
rock.gif

Back