• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Woodyard could of been kept on and shipped out on a season long loan to Braintree or someone.

Spillane, I had high hopes for, but he has been very poor.

The others, pah..................

Yes, that Kightly was rubbish too

We can't keep every youth player on the basis that they may turn out to be the next Kightly.

Woodyard has had plenty of chances this season and whilst he has not done a lot wrong he has hardly shone either. Compare his performances to Kane Ferdinand's when he broke into the team and it was obvious that Kane had something about him.

Woodyard is also not that young, about the same age as Ferdinand and 6 months younger than Leonard. I will be delighted to be proved wrong but doubt Woodyard will progress beyond the conference or possibly a lower League 2 club. If we are serious about progressing to League 1 we simply need to be looking for better players.

Hopefully, this will work out for the best for Woody. He can go out and get some regular football to prove (or not) his worth. Think Tango is going to look for strong established mid-fielders and Woody would again have spent a season on the bench.

"And here comes yet another Torquay attack , Spillane to Woodyard , on to Spicer , great cross to the far post , Mohsni easily out jumps Straker , nods into the path of Benyon , who buries into into the bottom corner for his hat trick , which surely wraps things up for the visitors on the opening day of the new season at Roots Hall".....................................
Torquay never get five moves together.... Just like us

Do we think there will be anyone else??

Almost certainly.

I presume the remaining out of contract players have been offered fresh deals. But, I would be surprised if they all accepted.

I can see a few more going. Perhaps some of our better players such as Clohessy, Tomlin, Cresswell etc.

Do feel a bit sorry for Woody as he looked to be making progress, and by all accounts, has done well at Braintree.

The one I'm still confused about is Spicer - Not sure what he did wrong to be honest? He was playing OK, got sent off, and that was all she wront from about September onwards. I can only imagine there was a clash of personalities between him and PS, but would have hoped he'd have been given a chance under Brown. Given how many midfielders we've had injured this season, I'm amazed he has not featured more prominently.

"And here comes yet another Torquay attack , Spillane to Woodyard , on to Spicer , great cross to the far post , Mohsni easily out jumps Straker , nods into the path of Benyon , who buries into into the bottom corner for his hat trick , which surely wraps things up for the visitors on the opening day of the new season at Roots Hall".....................................
................................................... and the new Torquay manager's chest swells with pride, within the constraints of his tartan waistcoat. By the way, you failed to include Ryan Leonard in that build up! :winking:

Do feel a bit sorry for Woody as he looked to be making progress, and by all accounts, has done well at Braintree.

The one I'm still confused about is Spicer - Not sure what he did wrong to be honest? He was playing OK, got sent off, and that was all she wront from about September onwards. I can only imagine there was a clash of personalities between him and PS, but would have hoped he'd have been given a chance under Brown. Given how many midfielders we've had injured this season, I'm amazed he has not featured more prominently.

From what I can make of it, a player gets to a certain point where no matter how hard they try, they don't get picked. This can lead to animosity, depression etc and even with a new manager, sometimes these feelings can't easily be shaken off. You also have Coughlan who may have had a big say in matters.

These aren't players on £1000's a week. Some are on less than the like of us and it must be so demoralising for the players in that situation. All they want to do is play football and they don't get the chance

Five released by Southend United

SOUTHEND United have begun reshaping their squad for next season by releasing Bilel Mohsni, Mickey Spillane, John Spicer, Alex Woodyard and Elliot Benyon.

More...

Am I the only person who thought Woodyard was not that good at all.

Reckon the majority of these will be playing below League Two next season.

Benyon may be offered a contract at Torquay. Moshni will probably have a trial at every single club he can.

Woodyard will go to Braintree or something.

Spillaine and Spicer will struggle IMO.

Spillane back to Daggers I reckon!!
Benyon to Torquay
Woodyard to Braintree
Reckon Spicer will get something as I thought he came to us with quite a good reputation and was doing ok until he got sent off
Mohsni - who cares!!

Really sorry about Alex Woodyard. Given time he could have been an influential player for us I feel. Guess time is something we don't have however.

I really hope he goes on to prove PB wrong.

Back