• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Clark said on the radio that he was doing all the hard work holding the ball up, winning flick on etc but for most of the time, he didn't have any players in a blue shirt nearby supporting him and providing an outlet. Eventually the crowd of orange shirts around him forces him off the ball. He couldn't have done much more with it.

Thats pretty much much how I saw it too.

I think he put a decent shift in but he was constantly hounded/bullied by their big defenders. He did win quite a few headers though and had his moments. I'm a big fan of Fortune and would prefer him to start, but Ranger had one of his better games I think.

He has attributes, but one of them isn't to get into goal-scoring positions.

Fine if you want a 5-10 goals a season support striker, but he'll never poach any more than that. He just doesn't have the instinct or the confidence.

Funnily enough, his best goals/games ratio was for England Under 19's.

Beyond that, he averages a goal every six matches, which is around 7-8 a season.

Personally I think the ghost of Mrsblue has come back to haunt us - so few of our players have consistent goal scoring records - but then you could say that about most teams - we also lack pace, athleticism and strength.

When do we ever get three or four in the box other than from a set piece?

I thought Ranger tried hard yesterday - he ran out of puff like most of the others. He and Cox had little support from midfield. As for the glaring chance he missed - I think their young keeper deserves a lot of credit for a brilliant save.

As for the glaring chance he missed - I think their young keeper deserves a lot of credit for a brilliant save.

Watch it back on the highlights. Truly woeful. I'd expect a 6 year old boy to generate more power kicking the ball.

Does anyone else find the fact that we have the same midfield and frontline as last season and yet we don't look anywhere near as dangerous going forward baffling? We scored goals for fun at times last season, this year has been a struggle since week one....

Does anyone else find the fact that we have the same midfield and frontline as last season and yet we don't look anywhere near as dangerous going forward baffling? We scored goals for fun at times last season, this year has been a struggle since week one....

No Atkinson "..

No Atkinson "..

This is crucial. The team, more often than not, is unbalanced. The best kind of 442 is where you play a winger on one flank and on the other side you play a midfielder who gets up and down and who cuts in when necessary.

Wright is okay out wide but he hasn't got the engine or the tenacity. If we sign just one player in January it should be someone who can chug up and down one of the flanks.

This is crucial. The team, more often than not, is unbalanced. The best kind of 442 is where you play a winger on one flank and on the other side you play a midfielder who gets up and down and who cuts in when necessary.

Wright is okay out wide but he hasn't got the engine or the tenacity. If we sign just one player in January it should be someone who can chug up and down one of the flanks.
What is Will up to these days, still sitting on the bench?

Paul Clark said on the radio that he was doing all the hard work holding the ball up, winning flick on etc but for most of the time, he didn't have any players in a blue shirt nearby supporting him and providing an outlet. Eventually the crowd of orange shirts around him forces him off the ball. He couldn't have done much more with it.

Thats pretty much much how I saw it too.

I could not agree more with Paul Clark. Ranger is the new boo boy on SZ.
Over the years we always have to have someone to vent our frustrations at. Give me Nile over Fortune.
Look at especially over the last two games what he has done. Every time the ball was knocked up to him two players were on him hassling/fouling etc. Come on we all saw that yesterday and people still moan.
The surprise to me was bringing Mc Glasshen on and I only remember one ball over the top for him to chase.
That was the problem yesterday, we still continued to lump it up to Nile. The players must have faith.
Also give credit to the Shrew's a true team not as good as us idividualy but close the opposition down for the whole game.

Probably because we played with Two wingers more. We had Atkinson in the middle allowing us to do this. With Two wingers we could mix up play up the front more and go wide either side. Yesterday it was mostly hoof ball up to Ranger, so easy for the opposition to suss out our tactics. They then had Two defenders jumping with Ranger to make it a lot harder for him to win his headers.

Probably because we played with Two wingers more. We had Atkinson in the middle allowing us to do this. With Two wingers we could mix up play up the front more and go wide either side. Yesterday it was mostly hoof ball up to Ranger, so easy for the opposition to suss out our tactics. They then had Two defenders jumping with Ranger to make it a lot harder for him to win his headers.

No, I don't think we did, Brown's frequently played CMs in a wide position, and he did this with Atkinson often last season.

Agreed.

I think that was the plan with signing Kightly, who would fit in that role perfectly and give us that balance, but our hand has been forced with the injury issues.

Why the "Ghost of MrsBlue" remark?

Questioning your gender? Disputing your 'facts' ? Saying you spout and shout and know nowt? The comment was rather crowbarred in with no obvious relevance.

I'm guessing here obviously, but it was probably referring back to the days when mrsblue had strong views about SUFC forwards and their ability, or lack of it, to score goals. I could be wrong of course.

Questioning your gender? Disputing your 'facts' ? Saying you spout and shout and know nowt? The comment was rather crowbarred in with no obvious relevance.

I'm guessing here obviously, but it was probably referring back to the days when mrsblue had strong views about SUFC forwards and their ability, or lack of it, to score goals. I could be wrong of course.

Cheers, guys.

Personally thought it was a little on the insulting side, but I've got a shocking cold and am probably overly tetchy, so apologies.

Just seemed a completely irrelevant usage and was used in a demeaning way. It's the third such post in the last 24 hours. The previous two were by other posters.

Thought I'd made a valid point, but there you go. Can't please all the people and so on.

FWIW, I think it's a shame 'MrsBlue' doesn't post anymore. Controversial and sometimes elaborate with the facts, yes, but always took the responses on the chin.

Hey ho.

Back