• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football League considers scrapping draws

Che's Left Foot

an Australian chap
League considers scrapping draws

The Football League board is to consider a proposal to scrap draws and decide matches by penalty shoot-outs, BBC Five Live understands.

The idea will be discussed by Football League chairmen and chief executives at a board meeting on Thursday.

No timescale has been given for implementing the change if the chairmen go ahead with the proposal.

"Why can't we just have a draw?" Bournemouth boss Kevin Bond told the Daily Echo newspaper.

The idea was originally put forward in the recent Football League Fans Survey.

There are currently two proposals to be considered - a traditional penalty shoot-out or where a player would have eight seconds to try and score after receiving the ball on the half-way line.

"I don't agree with it because I think it's too much of a radical change," Bond added.

"I'm very open-minded and I think certain laws of the game need to move with the times but that would be too much of a drastic measure."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6452013.stm

why can't they leave the game alone :mad:

damn was just abt to post on this!

Cant believe it. I can't see it getting through personally coz there'll be too much protestation against it..and rightly so.

Look what that pesky survey's come up with!

It'll never go through, the uproar surrounding this would be too much to deal with and the end result would be a mass boycott. Absolutely pathetic.

i don't know if it still happens over in the states, but i remember someone saying to me once that if, at the final whistle, the score is still level then they have to run from the halfway line and go one on one with the keeper.

Pathetic idea i think.

Get the cheerleaders from both teams to have a mud wrestling competion would be a much fairer way of deciding the outcome!:D

I was just about to post this as well :guns:

Absolutely shocking idea. Who the hell thought this one up?! I can't even believe they are actually meeting to consider it in the first place :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was just about to post this as well :guns:

Absolutely shocking idea. Who the hell thought this one up?! I can't even believe they are actually meeting to consider it in the first place :mad: :mad: :mad:

i took part in the football league survey a couple of weeks back and this was definitely one of the questions on there...i can't believe enough fans must have voted in favour for the FL to even consider this...

also, what's to stop teams putting 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, only to bring on extra strikers in the last few minutes and winning on penalties :(

Last edited:
I really am against these new rules but if the league get there way id rather penaltys then a pathetic one on one competition.

i took part in the football league survey a couple of weeks back and this was definitely one of the questions on there...i can't believe enough fans must have voted in favour for the FL to even consider this...

also, what's to stop teams putting 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes, only to bring on extra strikers in the last few minutes and winning on penalties :(

Spot on. Imagine the Norwich home game, making an incredible comeback just to lose the game on penalties and end up empty handed. What an utterly **** idea.

Would be a bad idea. Some teams would just play for the draw and try and win the shoot outs. Dont know if you watched the recent Blackburn Arsenal cup match but Blackbrn managed one shot one target in 2 matches. They looked like they wer eplaying for pens form the first whistle.

Actually the proposal is for their to be an additional point up for grabs in draws. E.G. 1-1 draw would still be worth a point but the side that wins the shoot-out receives an additional point.

They ran a test over the results from last season in all three divisions and it changed nothing in the final league positions of any of the teams, except in League One where one side dropped into the play-offs from automatic promotion and one play-off side went into the automatic promotion slots.

In terms on relegation it made no difference. I believe the reason for the discussion of it is to try and improve the excitement factor in games. Let's face it had last night's game finished 0-0 it would have been pretty drab. A penalty shoot-out would have increased the excitement some what.

They ran a test over the results from last season in all three divisions and it changed nothing in the final league positions of any of the teams, except in League One where one side dropped into the play-offs from automatic promotion and one play-off side went into the automatic promotion slots.

And which Essex team would that have been, then.......?????

Actually the proposal is for their to be an additional point up for grabs in draws. E.G. 1-1 draw would still be worth a point but the side that wins the shoot-out receives an additional point.

Which, as I said when the survey was discussed on here a couple of weeks ago, is a very interesting suggestion IMO.

Back