• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For those of you that have Setanta

Just thought I would update people to say it seems that Access and Endemol have been circling Setanta looking to take a majority share in the company

Access, the investment vehicle of Russian-born US billionaire Len Blavatnik, said on Friday that it had offered Setanta’s board £20m in return for a 51 per cent stake.

Endemol is better known for Big Brother but will only go in to the deal if it has a equal share of Setanta.

Subscribed to setanta online and had to email them around 40 times to finally get a reply. Worst customer service i have ever experienced. Cant wait to see them fold.

The Premier League have also said that if they are not paid the £30m they are owed by Friday, they will give the rights to a different company next year.

It is called the free market, whoever stumps up the most cash gets the rights.

Blame Sky for creating this in Football.

FYI, There is only so many sporting events that are considered to be the Crown Jewels and have to be shown on a Terrestrial channel and not a Subscription based one, and England away games are not considered to be these.

I wasn't happy with them having the National rights, but I didn't blame them - what I was very unhappy about was the failure to get the highlights package sorted out, so we couldn't even watch the highlights.

Blame Sky for creating this in Football.

And also blame them for the money they have generated and a whole bunch of the Worlds top players joining Premiership clubs meaning we get a better standard of football all the way down the Leagues.

I would like you to back up your statement Steveo.

Do you not think it strange that since Sky got involved in Football, more clubs have gone into administration than before?

Do you not think it strange that since Sky got involved in Football, more clubs have gone into administration than before?

Of course we will never know what would have happened Bob. Giving somebody more money wont make them go into admin - that's usually down to bad management and of course spending money they dont have.

Before Sky our top players were leaving to play abroad - for the money. The Sky money meant clubs could afford to bring top players here and the Premier League became the place where top players wanted to play.
Also, the extra interest generated by Sky coverage must have boosted the game -dont have time to look at the moment but would be interested to check later and see how attendances have changed pre and post Sky.

Having better players in the Prem, means a lot of the players that would be there are in the Championship thereby increasing the standard lower down, which is why I dont think there should be a restriction on foreign players.

Is that not probably more to do with the collapse of ITV Digital and the knock on effects of that.

An incredibly unfair statement.

In most cases, it was the collapse of ITV Digital that led to many clubs going into administration or encountering financial difficulties. In other cases, it was the sheer stupidity of chairmen, Yes Ridsdale, I'm looking at you, that led to this.

If anything, Sky have fuelled the finance into the English game which has seen our League become the greatest in the world.

Setanta is pony. Why anyone pays for this is beyond me. It's so expensive considering what you actually get for it. Not to mention a £15 "connection fee". Complete rip off. Good riddance.

People pay for Setanta as they can get it via freeview. If they want to watch live Premier League football they don't feel they are being held to ransom by Sky or Virgin.

And, quite frankly, the assertion that the Premier League is the best in the world is subjective at best at b0ll0ck5 at worst. It is the most highly paid and fastest paced but in terms of footballing aesthetics it can be argued that some other leagues are somewhat ahead.

In fairness Setanta has brilliant boxing on, and the IPL, live Rugby League ( Ok Aussie but still good to watch), Rugby union, personally prefer the Conference football to premiership which they had many a good on in both Conference and premiership, so all in all happy with variety,quality and service.

Would be sad to see it go, and with Cable its free, though I suspect an added extra in your monthly cost that is hidden

Is that not probably more to do with the collapse of ITV Digital and the knock on effects of that.

An incredibly unfair statement.

In most cases, it was the collapse of ITV Digital that led to many clubs going into administration or encountering financial difficulties. In other cases, it was the sheer stupidity of chairmen, Yes Ridsdale, I'm looking at you, that led to this.

If anything, Sky have fuelled the finance into the English game which has seen our League become the greatest in the world.

I came to my theory on the fact that since Sky got involved it seems more clubs are being held to ransom by players/agents for more money, as everyone wants a cut of the Sky Pie.

ITV Digital went titsup due to it trying to compete with Sky by offering crazy money for TV rights, which then had some Chairman over extend their club's finances, to be then find out that the promised money was no longer coming. So you could say that it was not ITV Digital but the Chairman that are at fault.

I get Setanta for free due to being on cable, and I must say the choice of Sports it offers make something that I tend to watch.

Also not wanting monopolies to exist, I welcome Setanta and hope they survive to ensure that Sky stay competitive and do not take us punters as cash cows.

I came to my theory on the fact that since Sky got involved it seems more clubs are being held to ransom by players/agents for more money, as everyone wants a cut of the Sky Pie.
But surely thats because Sky bought a lot of money into the game.

In fairness Setanta had brilliant boxing on

Corrected for accuracy.

Now that Calzaghe has retired and with David Haye's imminent destruction by the Klitschko brothers, paired with Sky securing Hatton, Kahn and the Olympic Trio... I struggle to see where Setanta are going with their Boxing coverage.

The best thing currently on Setanta, which they have done supremely well to pick up, is the fastest growing sport in the world: The UFC.

I'm cancelling, but my monthly payment was due today.... If the *******s have the cheek to take it, I'll not be f*cking happy.

I'm cancelling, but my monthly payment was due today.... If the *******s have the cheek to take it, I'll not be f*cking happy.

Never fear:

Guardian On Line said:
The pay-TV operator has suspended the collection of subscription payments from customers in the UK with immediate effect.

"We can confirm that no further monthly subscriptions or direct debits will be accepted from customers of the UK business," Khan said.

Back