• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Forest Green Rovers 1-3 Southend United

I always thought taking it in blocks of 3 games with the aim of getting 4 points from each block would give us a fighting chance of staying up, we are on course for that again.

As for tonight, MOTM for me was Hobson with Fergie close behind. A great team performance and we can't overlook Acquah's efforts upfront either, he occupied their defence really well

That was a great performance and fantastic effort. They looked a good side saw 2nd half and what a goaaaaaallllllllllll

Damn, couldn't watch this as I was interviewing someone and looks like I've missed a proper performance! Gonna have to read back the live tweets and the match thread.

I'd like to offer a special vote of thanks to the game commentators for managing to be the most self opinionated pair of knobs that couldn't believe that FGR wouldn't win this at the canter. Their performance made the result even sweeter.
Agreed. One of them said, and I quote - “this should be an easy night for rovers” Hhahahaha

Our best result and performance of the season, bar none. We were fantastic throughout the game and thoroughly deserved the win. Three excellent goals, all very different but all spectacular in their own way. Especially Ferguson’s which could just be the best goal I’ve ever seen from a player in a Southend shirt. 11 out of 10 for everybody tonight.

Where art thou @Shrimpet steve ?

Outstanding performance and I look forward to this post and getting a few things off my chest.

My name is slightly deceptive as I am now in my mid 20’s. Having spent 6 years in the youth set up under the guidance of Ricky, Mark Bonner & co I have played and trained with some serious talent, and Still in contact with many of the boys still there. Jack Payne, Glenn Kamara, Dom Iorfa to Name a few. Most notably is Stephy Mavididi who my old man used to pick up from Prittlewell station to bring to boots and laces 3 times a week. Steph now has a serie A medal and a selfie with the cup next to Ronaldo. My point is this, Emile is nowhere near as talented as the aforementioned names, but I have also seen far more talented boys than Emile fall by the wayside and their careers come to nothing. It saddens me every game that our ‘fans’ feel the need to post awful comments against his name for starting, a 20 year old kid who is one of our own. Knowing Emile personally, I have messaged him tonight to say how well I thought he and the team played. If we are going to get out of this mess we need to get behind the boys and fill them with confidence, not idiotic comments from half wits who can’t stand their wife so take it out on a kid representing the club we love.

Oxley 7 - been one of our best players of late. I can forgive the Bolton mishap given how many games he’s kept us in. Good game management with a few decent saves in there.

Elvis 8 - more of the old Elvis tonight. Aggressive and strong in attack and defence.

White 7 - not a huge fan of JW, but can’t fault his effort tonight.

Hobson 9 - was incredibly sceptical when he joined, looked like he had two sandwedges for feet. Has come on leaps and bounds, defends everything throw at him and got his 4 iron out to sting one into the top bin!

Clifford 8 - quieter tonight but kept their widemen at bay. Whilst it might be a minor point, his clearances are always high and wide where I find hart rarely finds either and puts us back in trouble.

Fergy 10 - need I say more? absolute breath of fresh air. Everything looks like he’s in second gear. Rolls Royce

Taylor 9.5 - he was everywhere tonight, breaking play up and driving forward. Simply sublime

Dieng 8.5 - busy in the middle and a great finish.

RHF 8.5 - best performance in a blues shirt. It strikes me that he performs on good pitches, which is unsurprising given his attributes.

Emile 9 - did all the dirty work you want from a target man. Won headers, brought our more technical players into the game. Battled throughout and gave their centre halves no time. Some humble pie to be consumed tonight.

Akinola 9 - came alive in the second half. Tricky, works hard and beginning a fan favourite.

Subs

Macca 8 - only one worth marking. Knows how to see games out. A leader. Happily keep him on another year to coach / sit on the bench and bring on when we need to keep hold of a lead.

MM 10 - too many prisoner of the moment football fans support Southend. How can we forget how terrible it’s been for the last 2/3 years. We are actually winning games! He has brought in some excellent signings who are picking us up points. Had MM had this team at his disposal from day 1, dare I say it we would be closer to top spot than bottom. Even if we go down, he has done a great job. Yes, he has made some strange calls (5 at the back), but he’s a novice in the game. If we stay up, I’m excited for whats to come.

UTB!!!!!

I'd like to offer a special vote of thanks to the game commentators for managing to be the most self opinionated pair of knobs that couldn't believe that FGR wouldn't win this at the canter. Their performance made the result even sweeter.

Little old Southend completely p!ssing on their parade. They thought very highly of themselves and were humbled tonight, not that they gave us much credit throughout the game.

End the season now....what a cracking game. Hats off to PE teacher, he got that one right.

Ox -7 not really much to do but what he did have to deal with he dealt with well, good dive at one of their attackers feet. Saturday aside, looks far far more confident and comfortable than I've seen since his first season.

Elvis -7 tidy, never going to be a world beater but seems to be getting more assured in what he does and positioning is improving

White -8 like a rolls Royce when hes playing well, has struck up a very good partnership with Hobsonbauer and could well play himself into another year

Hobsonbauer 9 - if he had a better turn of speed he would be Championship level. Good feet, great range of passing, strong and technically very good as his volley will attest.

Clifford -7 An absolute gem of a player, commentators were saying how small he is but he is rarely beaten in the air and hardly over powered, great set piece delivery - needs to be tied down

Ferguson 9 MOTM been waxing lyrical about why Crawley would let him go, so good at the dirty work and hit an absolute howitzer off the deck

Fairchild 8 - his best game for us i thought, constantly beating his man and has a decent delivery on him

Taylor 7 - id like us to sign him if he is freed, has a touch of arrogance about him, lovely feet shown again today and seems to be like a thorn in teams sides when he plays well.

Dieng -8 great finish for the goal, like Ferguson seems very committed and does a lot of donkey work

Akinola -7 a real live wire display, so athletic and chased down the long balls and harried their defenders, he wont ever score 20 plus goals in a season but could well be A Wayne Gray type who will chip in with 10-12

Acquah - 7 im a big critic of his as he seems to offer nothing...however, I saw some green shoots today, used his frame to bother their centre backs, had a tidy little header just wide and won some good fouls

Subs

Macca -7 gets that just for that thunderous chase down and tackle towards the end ...absolute war horse but you can see the legs have gone

Others all 6 as they didn't have long

My point is this, Emile is nowhere near as talented as the aforementioned names, but I have also seen far more talented boys than Emile fall by the wayside and their careers come to nothing. It saddens me every game that our ‘fans’ feel the need to post awful comments against his name for starting, a 20 year old kid who is one of our own. Knowing Emile personally, I have messaged him tonight to say how well I thought he and the team played. If we are going to get out of this mess we need to get behind the boys and fill them with confidence, not idiotic comments from half wits who can’t stand their wife so take it out on a kid representing the club we love.
Well said young man! And brilliant from the Blues tonight

Same team for me Saturday please.
Pleased for ox. Some brave and good saves.
Ferguson has a hell of a shot on him
Aquah looked faster and stronger.
Akinola is very creative with great feet
Hobson is a big powerful centre back with confidence in a back 4
White was quiet but assertive
Taylor's energy and desire to be on the ball was refreshing after a few quieter appearances
Clifford stuck to his man well out wide and usual good deliveries
Elvis showed passion and desire
diengs goal was very calmly taken and I like his disruption to their players
Best I've seen RHF play. Taking players on to his right and left and getting shots away.
Jd helped see the game out with experience in the corner and a good shot to get a corner
Macca......it's like letting a pitbull of the lead!!
ANG just want him to pass. Even in that short appearance he went round in circles and lost it. Needed more time on the pitch maybe.
Goodship looked keen, but unsure if he ever finishes a game with dirty knees
Well done MM. I wasn't sure earlier but happy to see a plan really well executed.
Commentators sort of saying they had an off day but I think we caused it. We were better than them....simples

Outstanding performance and I look forward to this post and getting a few things off my chest.

My name is slightly deceptive as I am now in my mid 20’s. Having spent 6 years in the youth set up under the guidance of Ricky, Mark Bonner & co I have played and trained with some serious talent, and Still in contact with many of the boys still there. Jack Payne, Glenn Kamara, Dom Iorfa to Name a few. Most notably is Stephy Mavididi who my old man used to pick up from Prittlewell station to bring to boots and laces 3 times a week. Steph now has a serie A medal and a selfie with the cup next to Ronaldo. My point is this, Emile is nowhere near as talented as the aforementioned names, but I have also seen far more talented boys than Emile fall by the wayside and their careers come to nothing. It saddens me every game that our ‘fans’ feel the need to post awful comments against his name for starting, a 20 year old kid who is one of our own. Knowing Emile personally, I have messaged him tonight to say how well I thought he and the team played. If we are going to get out of this mess we need to get behind the boys and fill them with confidence, not idiotic comments from half wits who can’t stand their wife so take it out on a kid representing the club we love.

Oxley 7 - been one of our best players of late. I can forgive the Bolton mishap given how many games he’s kept us in. Good game management with a few decent saves in there.

Elvis 8 - more of the old Elvis tonight. Aggressive and strong in attack and defence.

White 7 - not a huge fan of JW, but can’t fault his effort tonight.

Hobson 9 - was incredibly sceptical when he joined, looked like he had two sandwedges for feet. Has come on leaps and bounds, defends everything throw at him and got his 4 iron out to sting one into the top bin!

Clifford 8 - quieter tonight but kept their widemen at bay. Whilst it might be a minor point, his clearances are always high and wide where I find hart rarely finds either and puts us back in trouble.

Fergy 10 - need I say more? absolute breath of fresh air. Everything looks like he’s in second gear. Rolls Royce

Taylor 9.5 - he was everywhere tonight, breaking play up and driving forward. Simply sublime

Dieng 8.5 - busy in the middle and a great finish.

RHF 8.5 - best performance in a blues shirt. It strikes me that he performs on good pitches, which is unsurprising given his attributes.

Emile 9 - did all the dirty work you want from a target man. Won headers, brought our more technical players into the game. Battled throughout and gave their centre halves no time. Some humble pie to be consumed tonight.

Akinola 9 - came alive in the second half. Tricky, works hard and beginning a fan favourite.

Subs

Macca 8 - only one worth marking. Knows how to see games out. A leader. Happily keep him on another year to coach / sit on the bench and bring on when we need to keep hold of a lead.

MM 10 - too many prisoner of the moment football fans support Southend. How can we forget how terrible it’s been for the last 2/3 years. We are actually winning games! He has brought in some excellent signings who are picking us up points. Had MM had this team at his disposal from day 1, dare I say it we would be closer to top spot than bottom. Even if we go down, he has done a great job. Yes, he has made some strange calls (5 at the back), but he’s a novice in the game. If we stay up, I’m excited for whats to come.

UTB!!!!!
Excellent post ! UTBs ?

I dont know how to start this comment off apart from wow! What a performance from the lads...... hobson volley was fantastic and then an absolute bullet from Ferguson jeez that was some finish! We have to follow this up Saturday though and after tonight the lads should feel confident of getting a result. UTB!

Oxley 8
Bwomono 8
Hobson 9
White 8
Clifford 8
Dieng 8
Ferguson 9 MOTM
Taylor 8
RHF 8
Acquah 8
Akinola 9

McCormack 7
ANG 7
Demetriou 6
Goodship 6
Holmes 6

Fantastic, richly deserved, complete away performance. We were strong, solid, pacey upfront and Acquah had his best game. Thought the subs weakened us, strange how most wanted the majority to start. Can we play away every week. UTB,

Excellent post ! UTBs ?
Hmmm... the football comments are fine, but "not idiotic comments from half wits who can’t stand their wife."
The mods don't normally like that sort of thing - and with good reason.
No doubt, they've seen it.
Debate? Certainly! Slinging fatuous insults on a night as good as this? I think it says more about 'Schoolboy' than he would like.

Back