• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Former Crystal Palace and Ipswich Town midfielder Owen Garvan training with Southend

Owen Garvan's a class act. If he's within budget then I can't fathom why people wouldn't consider him a decent acqusition. He'd be a significant upgrade on Atkinson, that's for sure.

There isn't a suggestion that we are looking to bring Garvan in at the moment.

As I mentioned yesterday, we could be doing him a favour, he could be boosting numbers in training, could be doing it to keep an agent or even one of our players sweet.

He would be a terrific signing, and an upgrade on what we have available in midfield, but there isn't a suggestion we are looking to bring him in.

Same with Jack Smith.

FFS
I don't understand this club. Why on earth are we potentially looking at a player that has spent his life playing in the championship, and was considered good enough ability wise to be in a premiership squad. He has also played for his country at U21 level and has been in the full time squad- pointless. Why are we looking at him, he isn't even over 30. He even comes from a footballing family that has produced multiple quality players- we don't want any of that. If he came here he would no doubt be staying in the Roslin costing us hundreds of thousands of pounds . If he is only training with us then whats in it for us, he will disrupt the team ahead of Saturday . Get rid ASAP I say- what on earth are we thinking of, I bet he isn't even hungry, and if he has not had a preseason he wont be any good until next year if at all . total waste of time , Brown knows F all. God knows how we got promoted

Another lad from the Emerald Isle. Looks like we'll have to increase our order for Guinness.......

Personally I hadn't realised that having a midfielder train with us means that we can't sign a striker. I'm thankful for some of our expects on here who have put me right on that.

Why sign Deegan then?
Why sign Wordy?

Painfully obvious we are light up top and McLeod would be the best signing for a long time,can't see it myself happening but if he does sign then wow that would be brilliant.

Spot on again....its should have been goodbye Deegan, as I feel Deegan will be a red card man! Let's see...

L - R, Timlin, Garvan, Wordsworth, Leonard and Worrall looks like a very productive and solid midfield unit.

Bloody hell, how on earth has he got hold of Garvan?! We may be overrun with midfielders, but Garvan is a top class player and played an integral part in the Palace team who were promoted to the Premiership. Definitely head and shoulders above what we have already, but I imagine he'd want a fair whack.

Bloody hell, how on earth has he got hold of Garvan?! We may be overrun with midfielders, but Garvan is a top class player and played an integral part in the Palace team who were promoted to the Premiership. Definitely head and shoulders above what we have already, but I imagine he'd want a fair whack.

Pretty much pre-empted everything I was about to post. Garvan would be one of the very best players in L1, frankly I'd be shocked if he dropped to that level. For some to be questioning whether or not he would be a good signing is bizzarre, the guy is a fabulous player. Yes we have a lot of midfielders but you should always be looking to bring in players who are better than you already have, it's integral to pushing the club to the next level. Can I see it happening? No as I'd imagine his wages would be out of our reach, and in any case if I was his agent I'd be telling him not to drop into L1. I'm staggered he hasn't been snapped up by a Championship club.

Pretty much pre-empted everything I was about to post. Garvan would be one of the very best players in L1, frankly I'd be shocked if he dropped to that level. .

He'd only be dropping down to that level for a single season though.

Sort of reminds me about the whole Fabregas to Chelsea incident last year with Wenger saying he wasn't needed as he had too many midfielders despite Fabregas being infinitely better than what they had. If we can afford him and still have budget for a striker and defender then surely this can only be a good thing...?

Would be a great signing shame we have wasted money on Deegan.

If we got McLeod we would have one of the most threatening front lines in the division with Hunt and Mooney (3 20+ goal strikers at L1 level)
If we got Garvan to go with Wordsworth and the rest we would have one of the better midfields
I am getting very close to a trip to the bookies..

If we get garvan I think it makes it pretty certain either Leonard or Timlin will be mainly viewed as a wide player (and no McLaughlin coming). Would be a superb signing but I can't see it happening.

From a Palace mate of mine...

Blue_Wes' Palace supporting mate said:
He's an excellent passer of the ball - was a key part of our promotion winning side playing the most advanced of a central midfield trio
Blue_Wes' Palace supporting mate said:
His trouble is he's not the most mobile. Has the strangest running technique
If the tactics/formation plays to his strengths he'd be the best player on the pitch - like for us when he had Jedinak and Dikgacoi behind him as DMs
He could open a tin of peas with that left foot
He's a cult hero after turning down a move to Brighton when he wasn't getting in the team here as he'd rather fight for his place. Which he then got and promotion ensued
Seems to have a decent attitude - never seemed to moan when he was dropped. Considering he's spent the best part of the last couple of years playing for the U21s and the odd loan

I know he's not a striker, but he does improve our team so we should definitely be looking at him, especially if it means we can get Payne out on loan getting week in week out football.

Back