• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown like yourself, obviously likes old washed up champs... been said many times, go and get the non league gems, they are out there(and you are now going to say bigger clubs than us are tracking them) our scouting needs to be a lot better, signing older washed up is not cool.

PS, if Ranger can stay fit and focused on football, he will be a gem, look at his age.
I wasn't saying I like washed up chumps(?) I was saying that most lower league players are not that great so if you choose to assume they will be poor quality most of the time you will be right - no great insight required

No denying non-league gems are out there, my only reservation on that is Peterborough have been signing exactly those gems for years and are currently, er...., two points above us.

Often think this about Posh. They've made so much money in transfers by buying in non-league talent & selling on, made some pretty big signings too (didn't they pay £1m for Britt Assombalonga? before selling him for a few mil more), got a rich owner, the works, yet as you say hardly any better than us. To be fair I think they're bloody good at generating money, but pretty awful at putting it to good use.

Think this could be a very good move. Like others have said, he's got bags of top flight experience and has scored goals.

I'm thinking PB bought him in to hold up play and bring the likes of Cox into play rather than score a ton himself.

Think we should hold off slating him before seeing him make a few appearances.

Is he our first South-American born player?

(Awaits torrent of abuse for failure to think of someone really obvious)

Is he our first South-American born player?

(Awaits torrent of abuse for failure to think of someone really obvious)

I'm happy to provide the abuse ......... even though I can't think of a South American player at the moment except that Christian Juan San Salvador El Burro Hyslop did have some links to Latin America .............

For me this is about giving ourselves options. It was obvious on Tuesday night that we could not change things round up front and had we not got the penalty we were going to struggle to score. I don't suppose he'll be expected to play the full 90 . At least the club has done something positive after shortcomings were exposed on Tuesday ( even if we did get the right result ) but at this stage of the season there aren't too many brilliant alternatives and, even if there were, we probably couldn't afford them.

Words of wisdom you speak, young CC51.

I don't mind if the lad/chap/old man* doesn't score a single goal ........ if ......... he allows the team to play in such a way that others can get the onion bag bulging. It's a team game and it's about getting the balance of the team right and in this league it is also about being able to change formation and the way of playing in order to come away with 3 points.

* delete as applicable

Brown like yourself, obviously likes old washed up champs... been said many times, go and get the non league gems, they are out there(and you are now going to say bigger clubs than us are tracking them) our scouting needs to be a lot better, signing older washed up is not cool.

PS, if Ranger can stay fit and focused on football, he will be a gem, look at his age.

A non league player isn't an option, well only ones very low down the pyramid (a non contracted player). We didn't get our targets before the window closed so if we want cover until Jan players of this ilk are our best option. I'd rather have a Fortune than a Ryman league youngster as a quick fix

A non league player isn't an option, well only ones very low down the pyramid (a non contracted player). We didn't get our targets before the window closed so if we want cover until Jan players of this ilk are our best option. I'd rather have a Fortune than a Ryman league youngster as a quick fix

Even if the window was open I dont think non league is what people think it is.

We had a discussion on here a little while back which showed the non league "gems" still sold for hundreds of thousands of pounds. Amounts that were far to high to take a "punt" on.

Generally if someone is good enough to step up from non-league to league one they are going to cost 6 figures, I think people think you can pick them up cheap.

Even if the window was open I dont think non league is what people think it is.

We had a discussion on here a little while back which showed the non league "gems" still sold for hundreds of thousands of pounds. Amounts that were far to high to take a "punt" on.

Generally if someone is good enough to step up from non-league to league one they are going to cost 6 figures, I think people think you can pick them up cheap.

Yep that is overlooked by most on the non league player bandwagon.

Perhaps we are in a position to do this now as we are told we bid 6 figures for Simpson?

Can't say I'm overly thrilled or excited about this signing. But he has signed for Southend so I wish him all the best and I hope he does well. Glad we have only signed him for a short term with options to extend if he does well for us.

Can't say I'm overly thrilled or excited about this signing. But he has signed for Southend so I wish him all the best and I hope he does well. Glad we have only signed him for a short term with options to extend if he does well for us.

Agree with you,

Probably the contract will be extended though,after all this club simply loves the old un's.

Agree with you,

Probably the contract will be extended though,after all this club simply loves the old un's.

No dissention regarding Adam Barrett from most quarters, perhaps they can both travel to training together with their bus passes :smile:

We are not a club that will invest in the non league 'gem market'. Our money has and will go into the academy. Rather than risk £500,000 on one untried player we can run the whole academy including all these backroom boys that some like to moan about. The other problem is that some of these 'gems' are on some decent money and would want a lot more than we pay. One of the forwards at Ebbsfleet, who are in the NLS (six tier) is on £2,000 per week.

If you ever do pop over to training you will see the young lads getting plenty of advice from the likes of Barrett or Ferdinand at the end of a short practice match. The other day AB was advising a young forward on how best to lose a defender. Economically its the best way forward.....Youth and experience. Neither cost that much.

We are not a club that will invest in the non league 'gem market'. Our money has and will go into the academy. Rather than risk £500,000 on one untried player we can run the whole academy including all these backroom boys that some like to moan about. The other problem is that some of these 'gems' are on some decent money and would want a lot more than we pay. One of the forwards at Ebbsfleet, who are in the NLS (six tier) is on £2,000 per week.

If you ever do pop over to training you will see the young lads getting plenty of advice from the likes of Barrett or Ferdinand at the end of a short practice match. The other day AB was advising a young forward on how best to lose a defender. Economically its the best way forward.....Youth and experience. Neither cost that much.

Or or do what this club does,sign hasbeens on decent money then bench them or put them on the treatment table.:winking:

He is a perfect partner for Cox, as he do the dirty work & hold the ball up, let another's players in play too. My old friend who supported WBA, saying he a good signing for us and he will do well with Cox.

Back