• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fossetts Farm

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 16 2004,20:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 16 2004,21:09)]... at the end of the day getting a new stadium for this club has proved very hard and trying.
A good point by FM. It is well known that every other club that has built new grounds since the start of the 90's have just told their respective authorities of their intentions and they were met with a rather carefree: "Sure, no problem... go ahead and do what you want."

And FM, you say that you don't blame anyone in particular, yet you  clearly did lay the blame squarely at Ron Martin's feet for 'lack of organisation'.

rock.gif
Yes i do, but i certainly can't say that the fact Southend isn't at FF is all down to him, that would be foolish and a lie however yes i do believe that perhaps just perhaps things could have been handled better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 16 2004,20:09)]I always thought it was the a open secret and iv been told it for years, if i ever speak to RM ill ask those questions. Until then, common sense Mike.

Well didn't something go wrong with FF, didnt it colapse the last time. You can't say its been a rose path now im not saying this is anyones fault. But at the end of the day getting a new stadium for this club has proved very hard and trying.
An "open secret", eh?! Interesting concept! And now you call for common sense?! COMMON SENSE?! That extremely rich coming from you, FM! Haven't you been slating Ron Martin for the past god knows how long yet you have no single basis of fact? Only opinion presented as fact!! What on earth do you MEAN by "common sense"?! Pray tell for I have no idea where you're going with that??

Yes, the FF stadium has been a long, drawn-out affair but that's life. When you emerge into the real world you will discover that very concept ...

WS

Let's look at the positives for a moment...

Currently, SUFC is one of the better run clubs in the 4th Division financially [Basement League, League 2... call it what you will], we have reasonable, if aged facilities, BluesTV, one of the best groups of football players we've had at the club for years and our attendances are up considerably since Tilson & Brush took up the reigns for the club!

Alas, we aren't moving in the right direction league wise and whilst I love Roots Hall and its history, the clubs efforts to create the right kind of acoustic atmosphere in the Hall could be expensive, if they continue what they have started.

I don't think we would ever be able to create a couldron effect, unless we were performing with bigger gates [7-10000 fans] every game... looking at that positively though, a decent run could possibly see us achieving the lower end of that scale, particularly if we occupy a top three slot [wishful thinking on my part? who knows...].

Negatives...

The club is owned by developers, who see Roots Hall as a prime location for developement and let's face it, there is nothing that can be done on the club's present location to optimise both our seating capacity and increase the amount of parking facilities... general access to the ground is not ideal [fans are even allowed to park in Westborough School, 5 minutes walk from the West Stand to ease congestion in RH].

The bottom line is that I have every confidence that FF will come into being... I just thank my lucky stars the club is not run by Accountants! we wouldn't have a club at all now, if that were the case! trust me.

My source told me on Saturday, the new stadium could take 3 years and to be honest, if it does take that long... so what! at least they are talking about it happening, rather than saying something like "you'll have to wait and see!"

"I'll wait and see then...!"
laugh.gif

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 17 2004,10:48)]Negatives...

The club is owned by developers, who see Roots Hall as a prime location for developement and let's face it, there is nothing that can be done on the club's present location to optimise both our seating capacity and increase the amount of parking facilities... general access to the ground is not ideal [fans are even allowed to park in Westborough School, 5 minutes walk from the West Stand to ease congestion in RH].
You could argue that SUFC being owned by property developers is actually a good thing, given the fact that the club really do need to move to a better facilty in order to move on. They know the game... they know the way to deal with such a sensative thing... and they know the technical and financial implications. Or should.

Maybe the fact that Roots Hall is a great financial carrot that can only be munched on when the above is realised is another good thing.

Just a maybe... trying to look at the upsides here.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 17 2004,08:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 17 2004,10:48)]Negatives...

You could argue that SUFC being owned by property developers is actually a good thing, given the fact that the club really do need to move to a better facilty in order to move on. They know the game... they know the way to deal with such a sensative thing... and they know the technical and financial implications. Or should.

Maybe the fact that Roots Hall is a great financial carrot that can only be munched on when the above is realised is another good thing.

Just a maybe... trying to look at the upsides here.

rock.gif
I agree, but three years or so ago when things were not looking so rosy, I seem to remember [RM I think?] someone announcing that if a buyer for the club could be found, they would listen to offers, as long as the club would be taken in the right direction by the buyer!.

Things are looking a lot better now though! financial stability and so forth, but you always have your doubts when third parties are involved... I think we will see a new dawn at the club and hope that it will be to the benefit of all parties.
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 17 2004,11:15)]I think we will see a new dawn at the club...
Pun not intended I presume?

biggrin.gif

The episode you refered to, re: 'the club for sale if a suitable buyer comes forward' was last season, wasn't it? It's when our owners didn't say they were pulling out at the end of last season, but they could only guarantee their backing of the club until then.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 17 2004,09:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Sep. 17 2004,11:15)]I think we will see a new dawn at the club...
Pun not intended I presume?

biggrin.gif

The episode you refered to, re: 'the club for sale if a suitable buyer comes forward' was last season, wasn't it? It's when our owners didn't say they were pulling out at the end of last season, but they could only guarantee their backing of the club until then.

rock.gif
Inadvertantly, there might have been...
wink.gif

Was that last season?
wow.gif

What I was thinking of, was about three years ago, when there were still issues from the Jobson era... leading to a payment having to be made [Inland Revenue or something] and I think the club were close to being "wound up / placed into administration!" unless the amount was cleared.

I don't want to go any further into this part of the club's history, as I think I could end up with my knuckles rapped!
ghostface.gif

Finally, it would be interesting to find out just how much of the information from this thread, will get back to Uncle Ron and indeed, whether he will respond with some information... I am tired of being treated like a mushroom
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Sep. 16 2004,23:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 16 2004,20:09)]I always thought it was the a open secret and iv been told it for years, if i ever speak to RM ill ask those questions. Until then, common sense Mike.

Well didn't something go wrong with FF, didnt it colapse the last time. You can't say its been a rose path now im not saying this is anyones fault. But at the end of the day getting a new stadium for this club has proved very hard and trying.
An "open secret", eh?! Interesting concept! And now you call for common sense?! COMMON SENSE?! That extremely rich coming from you, FM! Haven't you been slating Ron Martin for the past god knows how long yet you have no single basis of fact? Only opinion presented as fact!! What on earth do you MEAN by "common sense"?! Pray tell for I have no idea where you're going with that??

Yes, the FF stadium has been a long, drawn-out affair but that's life. When you emerge into the real world you will discover that very concept ...

WS
Ron Martin is a property developer - FACT

Ron Martin wasn't a huge football fan before he took over and certainly wasn't a supporter of Southend FACT

SEL can't get there money back until they either shut down Southend United FC or find another site for us to play FACT

Now when a properly developer takes over a football club, takes the ground and training ground from the club then i can say with some confidence that they arn't doing it for the love of the club but infact to make money.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 17 2004,19:10)]SEL can't get there money back until they either shut down Southend United FC or find another site for us to play FACT
I think you're getting confused over who SEL is. In FACT Martin Dawn had nothing to with the company (which was owned by Vic Jobson and associates) until April 1998, when Jobson sold his 55% in Southend United to SEL and MD simultaneously bought a 50% stake in SEL. MD then brought the remaining 50% stake from Jobson in November 1998. It was Delancey who advanced large sums of money to SUFC through the SEL / Martin Dawn connection ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 17 2004,19:10)]Now when a properly developer takes over a football club, takes the ground and training ground from the club then i can say with some confidence that they arn't doing it for the love of the club but infact to make money.
If the "property developer" had NOT taken the ground and the training ground from the club, we would NOT be having this argument today - "FACT".

The club "made" £5 million from the sale and leaseback arrangements - "FACT". Although the deal meant that the club lost control of both its stadium and training ground, it may well have saved the life of the club. As claimed in the shareholder's letter of March 5 1999, "It is the opinion of the board that, if approved and completed, the Transaction will place Southend United Football Club on a sound footing for its regeneration." I still believe that to be so, although I concede that it has taken longer to achieve that all of us would have liked.

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 17 2004,20:10)]Now when a properly developer... takes the ground and training ground from the club...
Your choice of words, FM, is very poor indeed.

There is a big difference between a company or owners taking a ground and the clubs ancillary facilities... and paying in the region of 5m quid for said assets.

Oh... and then writing off a huge sum this year for back rent.

rock.gif

Can't really believe the ill-feeling towards Martin Dawn/Ron MAartin thatI've been reading on here.

Businesses only exist to serve their shareholders. To do this, they have to maximise the shareholders wealth or potential for wealth. IMO, Roots Hall being converted to flats when you have to find somewhere to relocate the club isn't the wisest investment of money.

The fact that we haven't been wound up says a lot for the investors and I'm glad that they came along or else we would have had a big debt with no-one to save us. Even if we went bust tomorrow, at least we've got to a cup final.

Then again, football fans are fickle and tend to think the worst. We'll probably all sit about grinning tonight about the result hoping the sky won't fall!

On top of that, I think RM's been brave to step in to the (albeit only local) spotlight

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Sep. 18 2004,09:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 17 2004,19:10)]SEL can't get there money back until they either shut down Southend United FC or find another site for us to play FACT
I think you're getting confused over who SEL is. In FACT Martin Dawn had nothing to with the company (which was owned by Vic Jobson and associates) until April 1998, when Jobson sold his 55% in Southend United to SEL and MD simultaneously bought a 50% stake in SEL. MD then brought the remaining 50% stake from Jobson in November 1998. It was Delancey who advanced large sums of money to SUFC through the SEL / Martin Dawn connection ...

WS
Yes and i realise that, SEL are made up of MD and Delancey right ?

Fair enough we sold the ground to pay off our debts etc as many clubs do, but why are we still in a huge amount of debt after selling both our ground which is in a great position and our training ground.

Only recently they have written off the rent owed but what about the rest ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 19 2004,18:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Sep. 18 2004,09:50)]
[b said:

WS
Yes and i realise that, SEL are made up of MD and Delancey right ?

Fair enough we sold the ground to pay off our debts etc as many clubs do, but why are we still in a huge amount of debt after selling both our ground which is in a great position and our training ground.

Only recently they have written off the rent owed but what about the rest ?
They wrote off all the rent right back to the beggining as it had never been paid anyway.
Ron Martin and co are doing a great job and if it wasn't for them we would be bankrupt by now almost definately. We must be the only lower league club that reported a profit last year and this year looks like being just as good from a financial perspective.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Sep. 20 2004,12:46)]Ron Martin and co are doing a great job
Whilst I am concerned about our uncertain future, I completely agree that they're doing a top job. It's not easy y'know!

biggrin.gif

Back