• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Foul Mouthed Wenger. Sort Of.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Journalists and football managers have a fractured relationship. After all, it's difficult to cultivate friendships with a group of people who will praise you one week and actively seek your dismissal the next. I know that I'd be less inclined to enjoy Carlo Ancelotti's company if I opened up Chelsea's programme and found him telling Stamford Bridge that 'Iain Macintosh has taken his column as far as he can. It's time to bring in fresh blood, someone who can do semi-colons.' Overall though, we get by. At least, we get by until someone does something stupid.

The hysterical reporting of Arsene Wenger's 'foul mouthed' press conference where he 'turned the air blue' is a case in point. Given the hype, you could be forgiven for assuming that Wenger had flipped out Basil Fawlty-style and screamed abuse at his biro-wielding tormentors before bursting into tears and smearing profanties on the wall with his own fluids. If only. Even the tabloids themselves had to admit that what actually happened was this; someone asked Wenger about a tackle and he said it was a bad one. Someone asked him to clarify his statement, presumably so they could at least stitch him up with some accuracy the next day, and Wenger said, 'leave me alone, for fudge's sake.'

That's it. That's all it was. Joe Kinnear, he was not. He wasn't even Harry Redknapp who, earlier this season, laughed off a transfer story as something created by 'you fudging people.' That one never made the papers for some reason. And yet this one expression of Gallic frustration with a predictable press-room chasing a predictable story was enough to be tweeted around the globe within minutes by 'shocked' reporters, and given space of its own in national newspapers.

Football is an emotional game, but with so much money pumping through it, it's big business as well. The insanity of staking huge fortunes on a game so chaotic and unpredictable is something that will surely baffle historians in the distant future, but for now it seems perfectly logical to blame a stressed-out middle-aged man in a tracksuit for the failings of some feckless teenage millionaires. I'd swear if I had to deal with that kind of pressure. I'm happy to be a part of this industry, I really am, but if we're going to put the boot in, let's at least do it for something worthwhile. People swear. Get over it.

QUOTE - "It’s you who make the controversy. I can give you my opinion on the football, but don’t try to drag me into your controversies" - Arsene Wenger deals out home truths.

the guy is a joke, i mean no one likes losing but this guy has to be the worst loser going. he is moaning about that tackle on fabregas yet the guy clearly won the ball and IMO was a fantastic tackle

He is very precious and protective over his starlets, but I've no problem with Wenger having the odd moan about dropping points. He's a natural born winner and it shows he cares, deeply, about winning games and winning trophies. He's earned the right to be a whinging, cantankerous fool on the odd occasion.

The only gripe I have with Wenger is his prolific jibing at teams who opt for a less-than-pretty strategy to beat Arsenal. Football, now more than ever, is a tactical battle and if other managers choose to go down that route for a point then so be it, it's Wenger's job to pick a team capable of grinding out a result at Burnley, Bolton or Blackburn.

United are a prime example of this. They prefer to play sweeping, counter-attacking football at an exhaustive pace, but they've also no problem taking it down to a more workmanlike performance, using players like Fletcher, when travelling to other teams.

Last edited:
He is very precious and protective over his starlets, but I've no problem with Wenger having the odd moan about dropping points. He's a natural born winner and it shows he cares, deeply, about winning games and winning trophies. He's earned the right to be a whinging, cantankerous fool on the odd occasion.

The only gripe I have with Wenger is his prolific jibing at teams who opt for a less-than-pretty strategy to beat Arsenal. Football, now more than ever, is a tactical battle and if other managers choose to go down that route for a point then so be it, it's Wenger's job to pick a team capable of grinding out a result at Burnley, Bolton or Blackburn.

United are a prime example of this. They prefer to play sweeping, counter-attacking football at an exhaustive pace, but they've also no problem taking it down to a more workmanlike performance, using players like Fletcher, when travelling to other teams.

Thats why I want to see Barcelona outplay Arsenal on Wednesday. Wonder what he will moan about .... Barcelona playing "too pretty" football ....

Back