• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Francis

Is Francis good enough?

• Total voters
Read the question its not about who is going to replace him its if he good enough

Yes on his day he is, but is out of form at the moment. Hopefully his game off will give him a chance to clear his head.

I can't understand some of the abuse Francis gets on this board... He's more than good enough for this level and, whilst his distribution might not be the best, it's certainly no worse than JFC's or Macca's at times and I feel he's an easy target for some because of the position he plays. You forget that he's been played out of position for the majority of the season and, even when he has played at right back, he's pretty much had a new defensive partner in each game.

Only Grant has featured regularly alongside Francis on a semi-regular basis and even then, Franno has had to do two mens defensive jobs because of Grant's suicide runs forward and failure to track his man. I don't think it's any coincidence that when we had a solid partnership at the back towards the end of last season with Dervite, we saw the best of Francis.

On a good day, he's good enough; on a bad day he's not; but, hey, doesn't that apply to all our players. It's the job of the management team to ensure they have more good days than bad and that is a task made just so much harder when the squad is so threadbare that there is no competition. Don't worry, if you're fit (or, in the case of Laurent on Saturday, nearly fit) you'll get a game, is not the motivational weapon Tilly needs.

Yes, totally.

He's a Championship defender when he's got his concentration hat on and someone in front of him whose play he understands.

And he's the best crosser of the ball we have when running.

Yes. If it's a scapegoat that's needed by some, there are more deserving cases than Frances.

Despite his occasional lapses, he is still the ONLY southend player capable of putting good delivery into the box, which says it all about our midfield really.

Added to all of the above his actual technique is IMO the best in the side. Watch the way he controls a football . And even when he is having one of his nightmares he still makes runs, still trys to pick up paluers and still wants to have the ball.

he is frustrating becasue we know just how good he can be

No question about it. He has real quality to his game. He lacks the concentration needed to move up to the higher levels, and when he has a poor game it's usually a real stinker. Like most players at our level, if it wasn't for their flaws they'd be elsewhere.

he is good enough, but he doesn't use his skill or brain. his concerntration is terrible. everytime he kicks the play out his heads down and always goes to a opposition
player.

his set peices are good but only 1 out of 5 or so. so thats not good enough.

i just think he really needs a kick up the arse.

We all know his a confidence player
looking at our defence
Mildy has a chant
Herd has a chant
Barrett has a chant
Clarke had a chant
Francis doesn't AND he plays right in front of TBV and has been part of the team for longer than Herd/Mildy.

When he does something right on Saturday lets get behind him . Who knows it might make a difference ??
Come on Trueblue- its got to be worth a try????

if it was "is he consistant enough".........

And if the answer to that was yes, then as Suffolk Blue implies, he wouldn't be playing for us - he'd be too good.

I'm very happy with Francis in this current set-up. He's defensively competent, can fill in at centre-back when required, and has more attacking flair than most of the midfielders and strikers within the squad at the moment.

As others have said, why he gets singled out for heavy criticism is a mystery to me.

We all know his a confidence player
looking at our defence
Mildy has a chant
Herd has a chant
Barrett has a chant
Clarke had a chant
Francis doesn't AND he plays right in front of TBV and has been part of the team for longer than Herd/Mildy.

When he does something right on Saturday lets get behind him . Who knows it might make a difference ??
Come on Trueblue- its got to be worth a try????

Point taken and efforts to get a chant going for him this Saturday - I shall be speaking with smiffy in the mean time I will set up a thread in the TBV forum for you to tell us ideas for a chant.

Edit: bugger he is banned for Saturday but still we can get something touted around and get it going at Exeter away :) - which is better really as most chances get created at away games and then get banded around at home game.

Last edited:
Yes Francis is good enough for us at this level, but isn't consistent enough.

As others have said though, if he was he'd be in the Championship.

He has all the attributes to be a top, top defender but he lacks concentration and, at times, its killing us. Sankofa is a more solid defender, but doesn't offer us much in an attacking sense and I suppose it comes down to what you want more.

I think defenders should be able to defend first and foremost, and if they are decent going forward its a bonus. Unfortunately our selection of wide players, bar Laurent, aren't good enough which means the likes of Herd, Malone and Francis have to get forward in support and are leaving holes to exploit.

Get some decent wingers in, it will make the full backs job a lot easier as they only have to think about defending.

When he's confident & concentrating he can be a great defender. His crosses aren't bad either...

Definately good enough for league 1.

Back