• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Class acts both of them. Head and shoulders above any other player last night. To think a couple of weeks ago we had Blair and Harris up front. If we ca get to Wembley I would fancy them to batter any defence.

This may seem harsh as we scored 4 goals last night but i thought up front was where we lacked quality last night , I thought the Midfield and in particular Grant and Timlin were immense and not only used the ball well but put a proper shift in and I lost count on how many times they broke play up and chased back and won the ball .

We had pace going forward with Hall and I would like to see a quick CF playing off the shoulder as i think we would look more dangerous , being honest their Keeper had a mare and should of stopped Eastwoods effort and I thought Eastwood had a very average game , was probably around our 7th best performer on the night .

Was a good performance and only telling it as i see it , don;t want to put a dampner on it as its nice to hear the crowd getting behind teh team again and Eastwood was the reason .

UTB

No doubt about it this partnership probably would be fine at league 1 level, and with the right midfield service...championship level....on paper. Last night though the game surely suited Moshni, comfortable winners, no tempers required....Love the guy but he needs to sort his problems still.

I didn't actually think they were that great tonight and Mohsni was on the left a lot of the time with Eastwood on his own. Eastwood always had a 2/3 Cheltenham players surrounding him whenever he got the ball. Freddy also missed a sitter in the first half. Mohsni was actually fairly quiet bar his goal which was good (had one little altercation with one of their players, if he'd dived and gone down Mohsni might have been in trouble), often tried fancy skills instead of doing the simple thing. I think it's good for him that he's no longer the fans' favourite and that most of the worship was on Eastwood last night, although he still clapped the fans whenever they chanted his name and signed autographs when he warmed down. I'm not sure if he's the best partner for Freddy - it was only their first game together - and he's certainly not a left winger.

If Bilel keeps his head and manages to stay on the pitch for the remaining matches and he links up well with freddy then I think we have the slightest chance of auto's although this will be very tough and it will mean winning most of the remaining matches. With confidence all of a sudden sky high who knows what will happen.

The best thing about last night is that we had so many chances, yes it was against ten men but for the past 2 home games we offered nothing at all and actually looked below league 2 level and thats saying something for a team who were top for most of the season.

I can also see us having a 50/50 chance of keeping freddy but only if we get up to league 2. theres no way a championship team would go for him now so league 1 is the best he can hope for. As others have already said he have a few things on our side what with his family living only in basildon and also the fact that he's loved here and he's probably not felt that in a while and lets be honest he must be loving it.

Wow what can i say. A joy to watch. Great to feel such a buzz around Roots Hall again.

Am I alone in not seeing this as a "good" partnership yet? I think it can be a work in progress but would much prefer to see a pairing of Dicko and Freddy in the event he was to sign a permanent contract.

As I was concerned about, Mohsni twice got in Freddy's way when he was lining up to shoot or head the ball goalwards. He also decided to shoot more than once when Freddy was an easy pass away and better placed. If we're going to stick with this pair then Mohsni has to learn to be the target man to lay the ball off for Freddy - and I feel that is a lesson he'll have to learn as he's so single minded up front.

Its not a partnership we played with 3 up front, or 1 depending on how you see that formation. Mohsni was playing left wing. Sort of in a run all over the place type way...

I didn't actually think they were that great tonight and Mohsni was on the left a lot of the time with Eastwood on his own. Eastwood always had a 2/3 Cheltenham players surrounding him whenever he got the ball. Freddy also missed a sitter in the first half. Mohsni was actually fairly quiet bar his goal which was good (had one little altercation with one of their players, if he'd dived and gone down Mohsni might have been in trouble), often tried fancy skills instead of doing the simple thing. I think it's good for him that he's no longer the fans' favourite and that most of the worship was on Eastwood last night, although he still clapped the fans whenever they chanted his name and signed autographs when he warmed down. I'm not sure if he's the best partner for Freddy - it was only their first game together - and he's certainly not a left winger.

AS above they didnt play together other than being in the same team, Freddy was on his own with Hall and Bilel on the right.

I dont think Bilel has what it takes to be a striker 'partner' as his link up play etc isnt great, but I do think the two of them can play up front together as individually they are a threat.

There are a couple of comments in this thread about Freddy being "average". He certainly is still getting up to speed, but he was willing to go for goal and came close on two other occassions. He also wasnt given the ball enough when lurking on the edge of the area. Maybe his team mates dont realise thats where he is at his most dangerous ?

With Bilel and Hall also willing to have a shot we have a strike force that are keen to get shots away.

I didnt see anything from Benyon in the 20 minutes he played to compare with how hungry Eastwood was to get shots.

If we are to have any chance of automatic promotion we must win games, draws are now as good as a defeat. If my life depended on Southend winning I would put my hopes on Freddy and Mohsni to do it. Say what you like about Mohsni he makes things happen and if I were an opposition teams fan I would dread playing those two even more than a Crawley team with Alexander and Clarke.

Enjoyed last night so much it just felt like the old days were back. Noisy north bank and heroes to worship.

Come on you blues

I see a couple of posts about not being able to afford freddie etc etc, i think the point would be who would want him? he has slipped into obscurity tbh and has a bad rep from coventry, im sure he has made a shed load of dosh in the last five years so maybe just maybe hed say sod it offer me a contract and im yours (obviously not taking the p*55) he is already a true legend in every sense of the word so doesnt have to worry about support, that atmosphere was created by one man last night and it must have been great to play in that, so maybe im being a tad romantic but add home location into the mix and who knows.

There are many interesting points on this thread;-
Freddie was top of the tree on his own at the front with Hallsy and Bilel behind and to the wings; they swapped sides and worked hard as did SC and Hillsy who with an industious midfield used all the pitch. Hall, Fred and Bilel gave defence probs as all wanted to take shots and kane popped up intelligently before fading after 70 mins (not subbed when Sawyer could have been a good exchange?).
As for saleability of fred I'd think the likes of palace, charlton, Ipswich or one of the promoted/bigger yorkshire clubs might look at him, even Huddersfield when they get big bucks for Rhodes. A pay/play contract with goal and games bonus wouldn't be to taxing to work out for anyone.
And I reckon Fred put a 1000 on the gate for us which probably meant Ron has invested well in fred for the home games.

One things for sure, if he scores 20 for us he still wont be welcome back at Coventry. My advice to Freddy - stay here with us where you belong and enjoy the adulation.

That sitter Fred missed with his head last night, before he had scored, made the Southend faithfull sing his name. Nowhere in any div will that happen to him. Most other fans would bollock him. Not here, the support he has is tremendous. I notice he was quoted as saying he played week in and week out for Southend, yet when he moved up a level he was in and out of the team constantly, he obviously don't like the idea of instant success or you lose your place.

If he helps get us up, it would be a kind of repayment for his various games he let himself down at Southend after that magical night against Man U.
Back to the original question, yes the Eastwood-Bilel combo is a right handful and full of goals surely. The midfield can't wait to get the ball to them. Coventry fans are calling Fred a fatboy, but he looks and plays stronger with a bit of meat on him. Perhaps oppositions will set up their teams more defensively against us, seeing those two line up.

And welcome back an in-form Anthony Grant and Kane Ferdinand. At last !

Back